Assassin's Creed DRM CPU impact, proof looks shit.

This meme has been circulating the forums and games media for quite a while now, but i've not actually seen anyone back this up. Right now the controversy seems to revolve around Assassin's Creed Origins, where it's now claimed by every games outlet that without a doubt the DRM is to blame for. Their proof is a user named "voksi", who provides proof of the game code repeatedly calling for VMprotect whenever the character moves. Now i'm not claiming to be an expert on gamecode, but I'm not as easily impressed like the people over at Kotaku or kitguru either. To me, this doesn't prove it takes up many CPU cycles. All this does is prove it calls to vmp0, nothing more. 

https://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/updated-dual-drm-might-be-causing-high-cpu-usage-on-assassins-creed-origins/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackWatch/comments/79pd62/update_on_ubisofts_anticonsumerism/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/79n1sr/denuvo_causes_3040_additional_cpu_usage_in/

The supposed proof: https://image.prntscr.com/image/_6qmeqq0RBCMIAtGK8VnRw.png

The same claims were made with Denuvo, and if there was clear signs of Denuvo causing excessive overhead by taking up many CPU cycles, we'd have seen it by now? I did a google search (removing the last few days from the results because it was literally pages of Asscreed only), and can't find any substantial evidence of comparissons between cracked titles, running side-by-side showing a significant uptick in CPU load.

To be honest, looking at the game when navigating the City, there seems to be a lot going on. And my guess is the next-gen consoles also have their CPU's pegged to handle all those drawcalls. Exactly how do people expect such drawcall heavy games to translate to the PC, running a much higher overhead API like DX11 at twice the framerate, on CPU's with fewer threads (or at all)? If the same was true today, as people have been claiming with Denuvo all this time, companies would have long dropped the services. As optimizing the game to get it running across multiple platforms costs a lot of time and money. And yet they continued to use it, meaning it can't be that significant. They're only dropping it now because the service since it no doubt adds fee's, and the games get cracked in hours anyway. 

So...anyone got a unbiased, conclusive test for me that without question proves this claim? Which is also corroberated by other outlets?

To be honest, the only thing Ubisoft really did wrong is not explicitly mention the recommended specs are required for 30fps, and mention the game is not intended to run higher so use at own discredtion.

Just now, losyav said:

Assassins creed origin is using vmprotect and Denuvo

so playing this game is like running a virtual machine while playing a game

your cpu usage will be 100% 

you will not even be able to play a youtube video while playing this game .

I mentioned VMProtect, but where is the proof this is actually taking up many CPU cycles.

honestly i don't partake in any game that has to phone home for some reason , just bad design

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

honestly i don't partake in any game that has to phone home for some reason , just bad design

I'm not applauding DRM's, in fact i'd like to see them go. My main issue is I guess more how something this poorly backed up by proof can travel across the globe and multiple articles on every games outlet. 

It's....fake news.

There's a ton of these memes, like how CPU's should stay below 80C, or onboard audio is always worse than external DAC's.

Just now, Majestic said:

I'm not applauding DRM's, in fact i'd like to see them go. My main issue is I guess more how something this poorly backed up by proof can travel across the globe and multiple articles on every games outlet. 

It's....fake news.

FNN-Fake-News-Network-900.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

It's....fake news.

every time there's a hurricane they keep sharing the same 12 year old photo shopped picture of sharks swimming inside a flooded building. general rule of thumb is some people are just dumb.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

every time there's a hurricane they keep sharing the same 12 year old photo shopped picture of sharks swimming inside a flooded building. general rule of thumb is some people are just dumb.

Yeah but atleast not all the outlets print that same picture, it's mostly just shared on socail media. 

But if everything gets turned into a controversey, things lose their impact. Like how this is overshadowing the lootboxes...

53 minutes ago, Disco_Chef said:

They even wrote about this on torrentfreak, i was pleasantly surprised.

https://torrentfreak.com/assassins-creed-origin-drm-hammers-gamers-cpus-171030/

It's the same story on all of the outlets. But again, one piece of code that calls for vmp0 in the .exe is hardly proof this is causing the claimed 30-40% CPU overhead.

GPU's call to the code literally thousands of times per second.

They should show evidence of Denuvo causing overhead. Aswell as VMP.

What I've noticed playing ACO on two different CPU's, a Ryzen 7 1700x oc to 3.8ghz and an FX-8350 oc to 4.7ghz both using the same exact Asus GTX 1070 at 2062mhz: On the FX system both GPU and CPU are pegged almost all the time. GPU around 98% average and CPU around 98% average. This is at 1080p with ultra settings and around 90fps. The Ryzen 7 runs anyway from around 30-60% with the GPU around 96% averaging 150-200fps. On the Ryzen the CPU really jumps all over the place depending on what's going on in the game. I have had no issues running the game though and also watching YouTube or multitasking while playing. Not on either system, but of course on the FX there is lag when first opening programs while the game is running. Not sure if any of that matters, but figured I'd share

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+