Ram memory leak

Go to solution Solved by SquintyG33Rs,

in windows 10 there is a service that will fill your ram with commonly used files to make them load faster. can't remember what it's called disabled it ages ago, it's absolutely useless if you have an SSD and it cripples performance on an HDD on boot

it's basically a poorly thought out version of intel optane

Hi guys

My 8GB of ram keeps being eaten up leaving only 1-2 GB free when I have a few internet pages open like google, facebook, youtube and streaming the news channel ( I'm not playing you tube whilst streaming the news ). 

I found some say it the qos or quality of service application in windows 10 whilst other like linus say its just the ram not refreshing properly in a sense. With this page open as it stands hardware monitor still says 6GB are in use! 

I know my anti virus uses some memory in the back ground on and off.

I was considering buying another 8GB dual kit to boost my ram up to 16GB but I have a feeling this would be eaten up too.

Short of resetting my PC every time which I should not have to do what could I do and can it be?

Any suggestions and experience welcomed.

Orion.

If you go into your task manager you can see what applications are using how much ram can you post a screen shot of that?

CPU: I7-7700k | GPU: GTX 1080Ti (Asus posieden) | RAM: 8Gb Corsair Dominator 3868mhz | Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII | PSU: ATTA 1000w | Storage: WD BLACK 256Gb M.2 / WD BLACK 2Tb | Case: NZXT Switch 180 Cooling: Custom Water Loop w/ XSPC

in windows 10 there is a service that will fill your ram with commonly used files to make them load faster. can't remember what it's called disabled it ages ago, it's absolutely useless if you have an SSD and it cripples performance on an HDD on boot

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just out of curiosity... Try turning off superfetch.

image.png.3ee5817ffb5bef6b73fba517f86f6d34.png

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

If your detective work has failed you and you can't identify what's eating all your memory, it's probably a good idea to just reinstall Windows. I can tell you right now that Windows will run just fine with 8 GB of RAM, and that's without disabling OS services

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, GoofyCush said:

If you go into your task manager you can see what applications are using how much ram can you post a screen shot of that?

It seems to be microsoft edge and my anti virus but also local security authority process seems to be the cuprite, its sites at 7- 8 GB of use most of the time. I read into it and apparently it assigns space to programmes when in use but sometimes doesnt refresh the ram when you close the programme or page.

It has been behaving itself but I do notice it ramp up when live streaming. 

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, SquintyG33Rs said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. So more ram wouldnt solve this by the sounds of it. 

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:36 AM, Vroooom said:

If your detective work has failed you and you can't identify what's eating all your memory, it's probably a good idea to just reinstall Windows. I can tell you right now that Windows will run just fine with 8 GB of RAM, and that's without disabling OS services

Indeed sir. On boot and just using the computer normally rather that the many pages open I have open the ram is not abused, again only when live streaming the news. 

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:14 AM, owluitar said:

Just out of curiosity... Try turning off superfetch.

image.png.3ee5817ffb5bef6b73fba517f86f6d34.png

Thank you for that. I will do this is it continues.