Computer freezing before windows loads

atavax

My computer freezes while trying to load windows. I think, my boot drive is over 7 years old ssd, so maybe its dead or close to it. Pop in my windows cd, and make it boot first and i get several different problems. Sometimes it freezes before it gets to the screen choose to install windows. Sometimes it reaches that screen but the mouse cursor fails to load. Unplugging my boot drive appears to fix these 2 issues. Now when i click install windows, it gets stuck immediately afterwards with "setup is starting" onscreen. Using win 7 pro 64 bit.

*edit- So i tried underclocking my cpu and that didn't help. Then i unplugged one of my two HDD from psu and from the computer and i loaded into windows fine. I'm wondering if maybe the PSU is struggling with my system. I used a 800W Silverstone sx800 sfx-l psu.I have only had it since May, so its pretty damn new, but it is a small form factor PSU and i have a full size 1080ti and a 2600k, so a pretty power hungry system.

I7 2600k was at 4.7Ghz. Lowered to 4.0.

motherboard ECS p67H2-A2

16GB of ram

Nvidia 1080ti

win 7 professional 64 bit

Silverstone sx800 sfx-l psu

120GB Sata II ssd

1 TB Sata III ssd

2 TB HDD

3 TB HDD

I'm assuming your boot drive is your 120gb SATA II ssd?

If it isn't, which one is it?

no. so if i unplug my boot drive, it will freeze later on while trying to install windows on another drive. But I got my computer to boot by unplugging one of my HDD while having my boot drive plugged in. So i'm wondering if maybe because the PSU is SFX-L, it is doesn't have as beefy of a rail for HDD and its struggling with 2 ssd and 2 hdd.

Just out of curiosity... Try stopping superfetch and see if your RAM usage drops.

image.png.839d37cceec217ab70c5e5df6898ff95.png

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

6 minutes ago, owluitar said:

Just out of curiosity... Try stopping superfetch and see if your RAM usage drops.

looks like it might of dropped slightly from doing that from 4.0 to 3.85GB of usage

Try plugging in all the drives' power connectors, but none of the SATA connectors except the boot drive's SATA, that will tell you if it is a power issue.

alright, but i'm going to be pissed if it takes me another like 4 hours to get into windows...

That moment when I realize I posted that to the wrong forum! LOL. 

So the system boot fine when loading up only with the SSD Boot Drive?

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

ok, yeah, so it boots fine with all the hard drives plugged into the power but only the boot drive's sata plugged in. Double checked with everything plugged in it still froze on boot. With everything plugged in but the sata drive of the opposite hdd that i originally, it still froze on boot. With everything plugged in but thesata of the hdd i unplugged originally, it booted fine. So definately looks like something with a non boot drive causing the problem. Not really much troubleshooting i can do with it when i can't boot into windows with it plugged in, is there?

Hmm

You could try a linux distro like ubuntu and see if that works, but that can be pretty unnerving if it's your first time using a different OS.

I'm not really sure, but I know that even on my cheap AM3+ motherboard, if you sleep the PC in windows, plug in a sata device, and wake it back up, it will show up.