Elp in making CPU decision

Hi Guys,

Im trying to build a new PC this holiday season, and i am confused as to what CPU i should buy. Its not going to be for esports/pro gaming or very high productivity, i would like to run the latest AAA at a respectable frame rate for the games which just launched, or hopefully will not be a bottleneck for future releases. I'm not to keen on overclocking, but am open to it, but cost is more important that overclocking ability definitely. 

do i got for the i5-8400, i7-8700, or do i go past gen and get the i7-7700 ? 

I would love if someone can actually give me some advice with respect to the games launched in oct 2017 i.e. the likes of AC origins, Wolfenstein or COD ww2. 

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how thing are with current games, but I bet is basically the same.

If your main concern is gaming but want to save some money, I would really go with the 8400, as is a solid choice between price and performance and leaves you open to future upgrades (that is, if the 9th gen series uses the same chipset)

What resolution do you play at and what GPU are you using?

Bang for the buck AAA and esports gaming is the 8600k in my opinion.  If you are going to be going a decent amount of productivity/content creation, spring for the 8700k.

Buying a non-K Intel CPU is a mistake in my opinion.  Overclocking is when modern Intel chips really start to shine.  It is easy, there are a ton of tutorials out there, and it makes a good difference in a lot of games.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

just dont buy 4 core cpus in the present year, its a bad choice as now even the 200 dollar range can get you more cores, order than that you will do fine,

unless you plan on gaming at a high refresh rate, an i7 is unnecessary. An 8th gen i5 will not bottleneck modern games for a really long time and should preform better than a 7th gen i7 in multi threaded tasks

should look at this:

the i5 coffeelake's performance just crushes i7 haswell and older, even on par in some cases with kabylake or skylake (not the broadwell e)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol