Black vs Gold WD HDD?

Surpuppa
Go to solution Solved by HeX EyE,

@#the greengamers# &#L00bs4n00bs# WOW I hate when people continuously cannot seem to just answer a simple question without having to input "ONLY" what they would do or want!!! Seriously here #surpuppa# has now told you a few times that He already has a Solid State that he is using as his boot drive BUT he is now wanting MASS Storage!! Last I checked SSD's are not exactly the cheapest way to achieve mass storage especially when looking for something in the range of 4TB. Yes they are much faster but to get 4tb you are looking at approx. $1200 at the low end which would get you 8qty Samsung 500gb 850 Evo SSD's then you have the issue of try to connect all of those which would be a headache even using a large desktop box. 

Anyway @#surpuppa#, Between the WD Gold & Black 4TB HDD drives your correct the Gold will be quieter than the black because it is sealed with pressurized Helium, but even though the Gold does have a faster "on paper" transfer rate that is most likely not what you'll experience if you where to test both of them side by side using the same types of files you already have, that is because the gold is optimized for enterprise computing whereas the black is optimized for gaming & typical pc user use! You'd be better off going with the WD Black for your uses & you'll probably get the same if not better speeds using it on your setup than you would if using the Gold series! Just my honest opinion, more reasoning for this answer is if you think of it, Enterprise computing don't usually have many if any mp4's, mp3's & other media type files that usually are on personal pc's thus WD could very well be rating the transfer speed of the gold enterprise drive using only files typical of enterprise use! You can see for yourself when you transfer a ton of pdf files the speed will be much higher than if you where to transfer a ton of movies folder (that may contain an MP4 some screenshots of the movie & maybe a preview mp4 file of the movie along with a metadata file). Hope this helps, Tom C

So I am going to buy a new HDD, and performance is important, for that reason I should choose WD black drives if have understood correctly. The problem is that it has ~150mbs write speed, and the gold has ~200mbs according to its specs, so the gold drive is faster? Also, I have heard many reports of the black drives being very loud. Is the gold drives more quiet? My reasoning behind this is because it has technology to reduce vibration.

Or is an SSHD faster than both of them? 
Edit: I have an SSD as boot drive already. The question is about an HDD as secondary mass storage

Ssd is silent and kills them on speed take the leap

CPU I7 8700k oc'd @ 5ghz Motherboard ASUS Z370 E RAM G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mh GPU EVGA GTX 980ti SSC

Just now, L00bs4n00bs said:

I know... But I need mass storage, I cant afford 4 tb ssd

I would just get an SSD, and then another hard drive if it isn't large enough.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

I would just get an SSD, and then another hard drive if it isn't large enough.

I already have an ssd

1 minute ago, Surpuppa said:

I already have an ssd

Just get 36 128gb ssd's

Do it for linus

CPU I7 8700k oc'd @ 5ghz Motherboard ASUS Z370 E RAM G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mh GPU EVGA GTX 980ti SSC

15 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

So I am going to buy a new HDD, and performance is important, for that reason I should choose WD black drives if have understood correctly. The problem is that it has ~150mbs write speed, and the gold has ~200mbs according to its specs, so the gold drive is faster? Also, I have heard many reports of the black drives being very loud. Is the gold drives more quiet? My reasoning behind this is because it has technology to reduce vibration.

Or is an SSHD faster than both of them? 
Edit: I have an SSD as boot drive already. The question is about an HDD as secondary mass storage

I'm pretty sure faster means louder so i'd just get a black one and put it in a NAS or somewhere where away from you if it's THAT loud.

I personally hate HDD noise but they are cheaper and have more storage than a normal SSD. For now...

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I'd go with the Black. The Gold can be quite a bit louder. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

@#the greengamers# &#L00bs4n00bs# WOW I hate when people continuously cannot seem to just answer a simple question without having to input "ONLY" what they would do or want!!! Seriously here #surpuppa# has now told you a few times that He already has a Solid State that he is using as his boot drive BUT he is now wanting MASS Storage!! Last I checked SSD's are not exactly the cheapest way to achieve mass storage especially when looking for something in the range of 4TB. Yes they are much faster but to get 4tb you are looking at approx. $1200 at the low end which would get you 8qty Samsung 500gb 850 Evo SSD's then you have the issue of try to connect all of those which would be a headache even using a large desktop box. 

Anyway @#surpuppa#, Between the WD Gold & Black 4TB HDD drives your correct the Gold will be quieter than the black because it is sealed with pressurized Helium, but even though the Gold does have a faster "on paper" transfer rate that is most likely not what you'll experience if you where to test both of them side by side using the same types of files you already have, that is because the gold is optimized for enterprise computing whereas the black is optimized for gaming & typical pc user use! You'd be better off going with the WD Black for your uses & you'll probably get the same if not better speeds using it on your setup than you would if using the Gold series! Just my honest opinion, more reasoning for this answer is if you think of it, Enterprise computing don't usually have many if any mp4's, mp3's & other media type files that usually are on personal pc's thus WD could very well be rating the transfer speed of the gold enterprise drive using only files typical of enterprise use! You can see for yourself when you transfer a ton of pdf files the speed will be much higher than if you where to transfer a ton of movies folder (that may contain an MP4 some screenshots of the movie & maybe a preview mp4 file of the movie along with a metadata file). Hope this helps, Tom C

On 2017-11-02 at 12:21 AM, HeX EyE said:

Between the WD Gold & Black 4TB HDD drives your correct the Gold will be quieter than the black because it is sealed with pressurized Helium, but even though the Gold does have a faster "on paper" transfer rate that is most likely not what you'll experience if you where to test both of them side by side using the same types of files you already have, that is because the gold is optimized for enterprise computing whereas the black is optimized for gaming & typical pc user use! You'd be better off going with the WD Black for your uses & you'll probably get the same if not better speeds using it on your setup than you would if using the Gold series! Just my honest opinion, more reasoning for this answer is if you think of it, Enterprise computing don't usually have many if any mp4's, mp3's & other media type files that usually are on personal pc's thus WD could very well be rating the transfer speed of the gold enterprise drive using only files typical of enterprise use! You can see for yourself when you transfer a ton of pdf files the speed will be much higher than if you where to transfer a ton of movies folder (that may contain an MP4 some screenshots of the movie & maybe a preview mp4 file of the movie along with a metadata file). Hope this helps, Tom C

Thanks for the help! 

• 4 months later...
On 2017-11-01 at 10:21 PM, L00bs4n00bs said:

Call me when 14TB ssd will cost 400-600 dollar :)

CPU: R9 5950x CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + 3 x Noctua NF-A12x25 GPU: Gigabyte RX 6900XT Aorus Master Motherboard: ASUS Chrosshair 8 Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3600Mhz Soundcard: Asus Xonar STX Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 3 x WD Ultrastar 20TB PSU: Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium Fans: 4 x Noctua NF-A14 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Just as I'm getting dragged in this thread

My first comment he hadn't made the edit so i didnt know it was for storage or that he had a ssd and my second was obvs a joke

Cheers