2.4Ghz a lot faster than 5Ghz

Jack Kaye Pc Gamer

Just got a new router from my isp as the Internet speeds were also upgraded, plugged it in and it working fine, has a network for people on 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. Only thing is sat next to the router speeds on 5ghz are 70mbs down whereas when I connect to the 2.4ghz I'm struggling for 30. It gets worse in the room directly above the router only getting 1-5 mbs on the 2.4ghz whereas the 5ghz is fine s I'll with 70. This gets worse the further I am away from it. Anyone know what is causing this, do I need to change so things in routers configuration? 

Old router was 2.4ghz with my Internet speed being 38 down and I didn't have this problem. 

TLDR: Internet is dreadful on 2.4 compared to 5ghz even when next to router 

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

3 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

Just got a new router from my isp as the Internet speeds were also upgraded, plugged it in and it working fine, has a network for people on 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. Only thing is sat next to the router speeds on 5ghz are 70mbs down whereas when I connect to the 2.4ghz I'm struggling for 30. It gets worse in the room directly above the router only getting 1-5 mbs on the 2.4ghz whereas the 5ghz is fine s I'll with 70. This gets worse the further I am away from it. Anyone know what is causing this, do I need to change so things in routers configuration? 

Old router was 2.4ghz with my Internet speed being 38 down and I didn't have this problem. 

2.4ghz is better for far distances

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

The channel that 2.4GHz is on may be congested, so try changing it, if the router allows you. 

If 5GHz has good coverage, you should use it as much as you can, it's almost always faster but suffers from shorter range. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

You should try to change the channel, use an app on your phone to check wich channel are less used and switch for it.

2,4ghz is very sensitive to inteferences...

42 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

You should try to change the channel, use an app on your phone to check wich channel are less used and switch for it.

2,4ghz is very sensitive to inteferences...

42 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The channel that 2.4GHz is on may be congested, so try changing it, if the router allows you. 

If 5GHz has good coverage, you should use it as much as you can, it's almost always faster but suffers from shorter range. 

44 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

2.4ghz is better for far distances

Have changed the channel but it's no better and only reason I'm worry about the 2.4ghz when the 5ghz is available at the same time is because my mom and sisters phone(same model) doesn't seem to support 5ghz as it doesn't show up

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

3 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

Have changed the channel but it's no better and only reason I'm worry about the 2.4ghz when the 5ghz is available at the same time is because my mom and sisters phone(same model) doesn't seem to support 5ghz as it doesn't show up

Can we have any insight on the router model ? ISP ? Because I don't see anything but channel congestion for now.

My isp is EE and the router is the Brightbox 2  

@Belzebuth

32 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

What phone are they using?

I would download a WIFI Analyzer like InSSIDer and see what the channel graphs look like.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

What phone are they using?

I would download a WIFI Analyzer like InSSIDer and see what the channel graphs look like.

using wifi analyzer and the channel I am on is clear with my wifi being the only one on it and their phone is a huawei p9 lite

6 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

using wifi analyzer and the channel I am on is clear with my wifi being the only one on it and their phone is a huawei p9 lite

It indeed does only support 2.4 GHz:

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p9-lite/specs/

As for the poor 2.4 GHz performance? I would first suggest doing a firmware update to the latest possible version the ISP supports, then doing a factory reset. See if performance issues are still there.

If so, I would contact your ISP and RMA the modem/router back to them, and get a replacement. Though it's possible the entire line has poor 2.4 GHz performance.

If the latter is true, you will need to buy a third party Router, and use the Modem/Router in "Modem only" mode.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)