Installing the same applications on multiple Windows 10 Laptops

Xikejn

Hey Guys!

I am currently setting up multiple Windows 10 Laptops, and each laptop requires a number of applications to be installed (the same applications on each laptop). Currently I am going through a tedious process of installing Windows 10, then installing each application one by one on each laptop. 

I would like to know if there is a way to facilitate this? 

Thanks!

Depending on the applications, Ninite is pretty good. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Providing you don't have any enterprise management software, like SCCM, then scripts may well become your best friend. Especially if the installers are MSI files or support command line switches.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Thanks for you replies!

I would also like to ask:

Is it possible to create an image of windows that already has the applications I need installed, so that then I can install that image on the other laptops?

Thanks again

3 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

If the installers are MSI files or support command line switches - use a script, like a batch file and ensure that they only run one by one (next one starts when the current one has finished).

No they are .exe files.

WDT and imaging them would work if you have volume licenses. As chiller said, some sort of powershell script will make your life much easier.

4 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

Providing you don't have any enterprise management software, like SCCM, then scripts may well become your best friend. Especially if the installers are MSI files or support command line switches.

Good point, and here's some info on how to do this, @Xikejnhttps://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-write-a-simple-script-to-install-a-program 

1 minute ago, Xikejn said:

No they are .exe files.

Well when you first download them, most program installation files are .msi files. Are you sure they're .exe files after they're downloaded or .exe files after you've installed them? 

2 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Well when you first download them, most program installation files are .msi files. Are you sure they're .exe files after they're downloaded or .exe files after you've installed them? 

Some of them are .msi yes, but most of them are .exe (such as Slack, Winrar etc etc...)

https://gyazo.com/00b328db90033a2d6302203886d604d2

17 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Thanks this seems to be the best option!! it works even for .exe files.

Do you know if it is possible to create a similar script for MAC os?

Thanks a lot for you help!

I remember Luke said that when he worked for a retailer, he would load up a USB with some scripts, plug it in go do something else and then on to the next machine. Learn some script stuff and you'll be set for life I believe.

7 minutes ago, Sack said:

I remember Luke said that when he worked for a retailer, he would load up a USB with some scripts, plug it in go do something else and then on to the next machine. Learn some script stuff and you'll be set for life I believe.

Yeah that's what I am doing :)

45 minutes ago, Xikejn said:

Some of them are .msi yes, but most of them are .exe (such as Slack, Winrar etc etc...)

https://gyazo.com/00b328db90033a2d6302203886d604d2

A lot of .exe files will support command line switches, which is what a script would use. To find out whether it does; open an elevated command prompt and type the path of the .exe followed by '/?'. If the path contains space, encapsulate the file path in quotation marks.

File path with no spaces:

C:\Users\User1\Downloads\Winrar.exe /?

File with with spaces:

"C:\Users\Downloads\Sub folders\Winrar.exe" /?

The /? will display a list of all available installation switches for that installer. If it doesn't do anything other than start the installer, then it probably doesn't support any switches or you'll have to check the developer's website to see if any are detailed on there.

Common install switches include (mostly for MSI files, but some developers use the same commands in .exe setups):

Silent installation: setup.exe /q or setup.exe /quiet or setup.exe /s or setup.exe /silent

Prevent restart: setup.exe /norestart

Show progress only: setup.exe /passive

Silent installation with no restart: setup.exe /s /norestart

Remember, the above are just examples.

An example of an application installer .exe that doesn't look like it supports command line switches, but it actually does...is VLC Media Player. If you use /?, it won't show anything. However, you can use this command in a batch file to install it silently:

vlc-2.2.6-win64.exe /language=en_GB /S

7 minutes ago, Xikejn said:

@chiller15 thanks man really appreciate your help!

No worries. :)

1 hour ago, Xikejn said:

Thanks for you replies!

I would also like to ask:

Is it possible to create an image of windows that already has the applications I need installed, so that then I can install that image on the other laptops?

Thanks again

Yes possible.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync