MicroATX Help

I am downscaling from ATX to MicroATX to have a more comfortable fit on my miniscule desk, and also the S340 acrylic side panel scratches a bit too easy for my taste so I would like to upgrade to Tempered Glass.

So I was hoping for some input on choosing a microATX TG case.

I really like the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 TG, as it is fairly cheap and the mirror front with custimizable vent colors looks awesome. Only $49.99 USD on Newegg. Only con for me is that the hard drive cage will be visible (a slight OCD in my thought) and its almost smack dab in the middle of the case.

But then there is the Fractal Design Define C TG which is a little more pricy at $74 USD. It has great build quality from reviews I’ve seen and I’m extremely interest on how good the sound dampening panels are. This case also has a basement for the PSU and hard drive cage.

I guess the case part seems more trivial since its clear that I have no quarrels with the Define C case except for the price.

The next thing I need help picking out is a Motherboard for my Ryzen 5 1500X. I have a White and Black build which I love so I am currently thrown between two AsRock motherboards that I was hoping someone can point out the real difference between these two as I have no clue besides that the Pro4 has another PCI-e slot and 4 DIMMS.

AsRock AB350M

AsRock AB350 Pro 4

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Micro atx isn't much of a size difference in reality. I've had a couple matx builds. They're usually only marginally shorter and tend to take up the same foot print as a standard tower (or even more if it's a cube).

If you're serious about downscaling, you go itx. Matx should only be considered if you absolutely need a 2nd pci slot or dual graphics cards.

Just now, Marenoc said:

I am downscaling from ATX to MicroATX to have a more comfortable fit on my miniscule desk, and also the S340 acrylic side panel scratches a bit too easy for my taste so I would like to upgrade to Tempered Glass.

I really like the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 TG, as it is fairly cheap and the mirror front with custimizable vent colors looks awesome. Only $49.99 USD on Newegg. Only con for me is that the hard drive cage will be visible (a slight OCD in my thought) and its almost smack dab in the middle of the case.

But then there is the Fractal Design Define C TG which is a little more pricy at $74 USD. It has great build quality from reviews I’ve seen and I’m extremely interest on how good the sound dampening panels are. This case also has a basement for the PSU and hard drive cage.

I guess the case part seems more trivial since its clear that I have no quarrels with the Define C case except for the price.

The next thing I need help picking out is a Motherboard for my Ryzen 5 1500X. I have a White and Black build which I love so I am currently thrown between two AsRock motherboards that I was hoping someone can point out the real difference between these two as I have no clue.

AsRock AB350M

AsRock AB350 Pro 4

The AsRock AB350M is micro-ATX and the Asrock AB350 Pro 4 is ATX.

The AsRock AB350 M also has 2 DIMM slots and the Asrock AB350 Pro 4 has 4.

Also the Pro 4 support 64gb of RAM and the M has 32gb.

Also the Asrock AB350 Pro 4 supports crossfire.

The Pro 4 also has 6 sata ports and the M has 4 sata ports.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Just now, Mooshi said:

Micro atx isn't much of a size difference in reality. I've had a couple matx builds. They're usually only marginally shorter and tend to take up the same foot print as a standard tower (or even more if it's a cube).

If you're serious about downscaling, you go itx. Matx should only be considered if you absolutely need a 2nd pic slot or dual graphics cards.

I agree.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

8 minutes ago, Marenoc said:

The next thing I need help picking out is a Motherboard for my Ryzen 5 1500X. I have a White and Black build which I love so I am currently thrown between two AsRock motherboards that I was hoping someone can point out the real difference between these two as I have no clue besides that the Pro4 has another PCI-e slot and 4 DIMMS.

AsRock AB350M

AsRock AB350 Pro 4

Can't help you with the case problem, that's a personal choice IMO and everyone's tastes are different.

With the mobos though, I have the AB350M pro4 version and love it, not sure if that's the one you meant? if so the main difference is the AB350M pro4 is m-ATX and has 2 m.2 slots, 1 supports both NVME AND SATA, and the second is SATA only.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

31 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If you're serious about downscaling, you go itx. Matx should only be considered if you absolutely need a 2nd pci slot or dual graphics cards.

Unfortunately, I do have somewhat of a budget, and the move to microATX, has me spending very little if everything goes to plan, >$10. An ITX build has more of a costly motherboard for AM4 it seems. Especially since I’m looking for color coordinated parts.

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202