Not performance improvement noticeable on i7 7700k overclocked to 4.8GHz

Karl Sven

Well, simple as that. No improvement AT ALL.

Is not the first time I try this. Now I'm trying it with AC: Origins, a game I've read is CPU demanding. I tried also with The Division back in the day, 4.9GHz that time with the same results. No noticeable improvement whatsoever.

Is not that I need it on 3440x1440 cause it runs 60fps stable, but in my 4K TV still have some issues running at 45/50 with some eventual drops, so I thought maybe a CPU overclock might have helped. And anyway, Is always nice to learn more ^^. 

Anyone throwing some light?

I'll copy my Pc components list here :) :

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
  • RAM
    16 GB
  • GPU
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core P5
  • Storage
    M.2 Samsung 960 EVO Series 250GB
  • PSU
    Toughpower Grand RGB 750W Gold Full Modular
  • Display(s)
    Ultrawide 3440x1440 Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q
  • Cooling
    Water cooled Corsair H100i v2
  • Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Astro's A50 3gen
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Its probably GPU limited. You can have the best CPU money can buy and it will make no difference till you upgrade the GPU.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

Its probably GPU limited. You can have the best CPU money can buy and it will make no difference till you upgrade the GPU.

Mmmmm possible. Though with a 1080 is not in my plans to buy a Ti or a titan just for this xD

Funny story cause I bought the card just 2 weeks before the Ti was released -_- Though the reviews with the Ti aren't much better than with the 1080 stock, so don't think even that would make night and day difference. 

I have the GPU a bit more overclocked than MSI stock btw, that it does gives me like a 5fps boost.

Bad luck. But welcome to PC hardware....

A 1080ti is quite a jump compared to a 1080, it will make a difference. But I would buy another 1080 and run SLI rather than a 1080ti. It looks like you have a decent card with an aftermarket cooler, so I overclocking it to 2GHz ish would make a difference.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

At that resolution you're unlikely to find a game that is limited by your CPU more than your GPU.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Bad luck. But welcome to PC hardware....

A 1080ti is quite a jump compared to a 1080, it will make a difference. But I would buy another 1080 and run SLI rather than a 1080ti. It looks like you have a decent card with an aftermarket cooler, so I overclocking it to 2GHz ish would make a difference.

Yeh, I overclocked it until it gave me artifacts. Still running at 40 degrees under high load with fans at 150% speed. 

3 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

Yeh, I overclocked it until it gave me artifacts. Still running at 40 degrees under high load with fans at 150% speed. 

Leave the CPU OCed if you do professional workloads or stuff other than gaming. Otherwise I would push it back a bit to prolong life.

If you want better gaming performance get another 1080. I'll likely get another 1070 once volta comes out and pascal is cheap 2nd hand. What have you got it OCed to?

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Leave the CPU OCed if you do professional workloads or stuff other than gaming. Otherwise I would push it back a bit to prolong life.

If you want better gaming performance get another 1080. I'll likely get another 1070 once volta comes out and pascal is cheap 2nd hand. What have you got it OCed to?

overclock.png

Thanks, but due to GPU boost 3.0, I have no way of knowing the core clocks under load. Depending on what that does you might be able to get a bit more out of the core and dial back the memory.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Thanks, but due to GPU boost 3.0, I have no way of knowing the core clocks under load. Depending on what that does you might be able to get a bit more out of the core and dial back the memory.

I copied this from a webpage where they were making tests with same model as I have. Then I tried rising the numbers little by little until it gave me artifacts.

I can rise a bit without failing but with not noticeable improvement either. So i decided to let it be like the web suggested. 

12 minutes ago, Carclis said:

At that resolution you're unlikely to find a game that is limited by your CPU more than your GPU.

It's the other way around.

At lower resolutions it's more CPU bound since it has to keep up with the GPU.
"Less pixels- easier for GPU"

At higher resolutions like 3840x2160 or 3440x1440 the GPU has to work more pixels around, your CPU doesn't have to work as much with the GPU to keep up with the frames.

This is why your CPU is the bottleneck at 1080p in higher framerates, it can't keep up with the GPU.

In higher resolutions your GPU simple doesn't have the horsepower to run those frames, so your CPU is chilling :)

I'll share some screenshots =)

The artistic department in this game is absolutely astonishing.

1.jpg

fullscreen (1).jpg

fullscreen (2).jpg

fullscreen (3).jpg

fullscreen (4).jpg

fullscreen (5).jpg

fullscreen (6).jpg

fullscreen (7).jpg

fullscreen (8).jpg

fullscreen (9).jpg

fullscreen (10).jpg

fullscreen (11).jpg

fullscreen.jpg

5 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

It's the other way around.

At lower resolutions it's more CPU bound since it has to keep up with the GPU.
"Less pixels- easier for GPU"

At higher resolutions like 3840x2160 or 3440x1440 the GPU has to work more pixels around, your CPU doesn't have to work as much with the GPU to keep up with the frames.

This is why your CPU is the bottleneck at 1080p in higher framerates, it can't keep up with the GPU.

In higher resolutions your GPU simple doesn't have the horsepower to run those frames, so your CPU is chilling :)

That is what I said =)

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

That is what I said =)

28 minutes ago, Carclis said:

He said he's playing on high resolutions, that means he's limited by GPU, right?

Am I misunderstanding something? :S 

Just now, MVPernula said:

He said he's playing on high resolutions, that means he's limited by GPU, right?

Am I misunderstanding something? :S 

Let me rephrase that.

At 3440*1440 he is unlikely to find a game where his CPU is a greater limiting factor than his GPU.

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

Let me rephrase that.

At 3440*1440 he is unlikely to find a game where his CPU is a greater limiting factor than his GPU.

Hey now I see what I missed.. SOrry!

9 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Let me rephrase that.

7 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Hey now I see what I missed.. SOrry!

Actually even in the resolution I'm having "problems" (only running at 45/50fps with eventual drops) Is at 4K, at 3440x1440 I'm at rock solid 60 all the time.

Though more than that is not achivable either :)