Better CPU or boot SSD?

raj800

Should I go for better CPU or Should I get a SSD?

Ryzen 5 1400 with SSD or 1500x without SSD??

How mutch SSD ar we talking about ?

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

1600 no ssd, you can always get an ssd later on.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

3 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

1600 no ssd, you can always get an ssd later on.

^^^ This. 1600 is worth the money over the 1500X because of the 6 cores vs 4 cores

Get the 1600, for the extra 2 cores. Also SSD prices are high at the moment so it would be worth waiting till they drop.

1400 and ssd. you can have an i9 7980xe but if you are running it off a hdd many things will still be slow.

There's no point in getting the 1500X. 1500x and 1400 are technically identical. Basically every 1400 can be oced to run as a 1500x unless you're REALLY unlucky in the silicon lottery. You either go one step up (1600) or not. But that's it. 1600 and 1600X are technically identical as well. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

On 10/29/2017 at 9:36 PM, Swealteek said:

How mutch SSD ar we talking about ?

256 gigs

Just now, raj800 said:

256 gigs

Do you have a list

like every one els sad get the best cpu you can know and upgrade the ssd later

1 its easy to add a ssd or hdd later (windows is bount to the motherbord or if you on linux side of things FREEDOM BABY)

2. ssd ar more exp than se a few weeks ago becas of low LTC flash chips so waiting in the end maby gets you a better and bigger ssd

3. you wil have to sell the cpu losing moste of its faulw wel upgrading the sdd is just its upfront cost

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

Okay so for now I'll try to get a better CPU 

Asked that because I have a fixed budget

The system I am thinking to build is

Ryzen 5 1600 (maybe 1600X if possible)

Asus prime B350 plus motherboard

Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6 GB graphics 

8 Gb 2666Mhz RAM

1 TB WD Blue HDD

Corsair CX550 Power Supply

Will try for SSD later

On 10/30/2017 at 12:05 AM, bowrilla said:

There's no point in getting the 1500X. 1500x and 1400 are technically identical. Basically every 1400 can be oced to run as a 1500x unless you're REALLY unlucky in the silicon lottery. You either go one step up (1600) or not. But that's it. 1600 and 1600X are technically identical as well. 

Will try for 1600

On 10/29/2017 at 10:44 PM, bince said:

Get the 1600, for the extra 2 cores. Also SSD prices are high at the moment so it would be worth waiting till they drop.

Yep

On 10/29/2017 at 9:40 PM, Max_Settings said:

^^^ This. 1600 is worth the money over the 1500X because of the 6 cores vs 4 cores

Yep Right

2 hours ago, raj800 said:

Okay so for now I'll try to get a better CPU 

Asked that because I have a fixed budget

The system I am thinking to build is

Ryzen 5 1600 (maybe 1600X if possible)

Asus prime B350 plus motherboard

Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6 GB graphics 

8 Gb 2666Mhz RAM

1 TB WD Blue HDD

Corsair CX550 Power Supply

Will try for SSD later

The 1600 will most likely be capable to run almost as quick with OC as an 1600X (unless you're really unlucky) at about $20 less. But then there's the catch: Ryzen X-Series CPUs don't come with a boxed cooler so you have to get an aftermarket cooler. A proper one capable of dealing with a TDP of 95W will set you back another $40–60, while the stock cooler is actually quite ok for the 6 core versions with some reasonable oc.

Why exactly does it need to be that ASUS board? Not that it's bad as far as I know but it's unneccessarily expensive. You could save like $30 just by switching to an AsRock AB350 Pro4 board. 

I don't see the point in choosing a full sized ATX board and then going for a thermally less capable miniature version. You should be able to get a higher clocking and better performing card for the same price. Like a Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition. Should be abould the same price, has two fans therefore better cooling and probably higher boost clocks.

Your psu of choice isn't particularly bad but it's also not great. Since I don't find any current prices on PCPartpicker I have to guess but if it's more than $50 it just isn't worth it. You could get a full modular 80+ gold rated Tier 1 (see PSU Tier List thread) EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W PSU for $64.

The hdd you chose is not really fast with 5400RPM. Why not going for let's say a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM hdd?

I'd suggest this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card  ($269.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $736.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-30 17:29 EDT-0400

For like $60 you can get a pretty decent 240–250GB SATA3 (6GB/s) SSD like an SK Hynic SL308 series one. You will definitely (!) feel the performance improvement. It would be far higher than maybe 100 or 200MHz more due to slightly better oc potential (if at all) from a 1600x. If you want to be on the safe side you could invest in a better cooler to get the maximum from your cpu but the stock cooler is fine for a Ryzen 7 1700 with two more cores it's fine for a Ryzen 5 1600 (only difference afaik is the LED lighting you get with the Wraith Spire LED).

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

33 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

The 1600 will most likely be capable to run almost as quick with OC as an 1600X (unless you're really unlucky) at about $20 less. But then there's the catch: Ryzen X-Series CPUs don't come with a boxed cooler so you have to get an aftermarket cooler. A proper one capable of dealing with a TDP of 95W will set you back another $40–60, while the stock cooler is actually quite ok for the 6 core versions with some reasonable oc.

Why exactly does it need to be that ASUS board? Not that it's bad as far as I know but it's unneccessarily expensive. You could save like $30 just by switching to an AsRock AB350 Pro4 board. 

I don't see the point in choosing a full sized ATX board and then going for a thermally less capable miniature version. You should be able to get a higher clocking and better performing card for the same price. Like a Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition. Should be abould the same price, has two fans therefore better cooling and probably higher boost clocks.

Your psu of choice isn't particularly bad but it's also not great. Since I don't find any current prices on PCPartpicker I have to guess but if it's more than $50 it just isn't worth it. You could get a full modular 80+ gold rated Tier 1 (see PSU Tier List thread) EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W PSU for $64.

The hdd you chose is not really fast with 5400RPM. Why not going for let's say a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM hdd?

I'd suggest this build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card  ($269.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $736.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-30 17:29 EDT-0400

For like $60 you can get a pretty decent 240–250GB SATA3 (6GB/s) SSD like an SK Hynic SL308 series one. You will definitely (!) feel the performance improvement. It would be far higher than maybe 100 or 200MHz more due to slightly better oc potential (if at all) from a 1600x. If you want to be on the safe side you could invest in a better cooler to get the maximum from your cpu but the stock cooler is fine for a Ryzen 7 1700 with two more cores it's fine for a Ryzen 5 1600 (only difference afaik is the LED lighting you get with the Wraith Spire LED).

Thank you for such a comprehensive explanation

Reason for Mini gpu is it's about 40$ cheaper here in India than the normal full sized one. will check at local shops and will try to get the full size card.

Also both the AsRock and Asus boards are at same price here so i thought about getting an ATX.

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W PSU  this is a really great PSU but it's around 110$ over here in on Amazon (i know it's really Wierd). I'll definitely check its cost in local shops and try to get this PSU if i get it for a good price.

about HDD, Sorry I forgot to check rpm. I'll definitely get a 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda.

And will get the Ryzen 5 1600 as the stock cooler is bundled with the processor. 1700 is a bit out of budget for me.

All the prices I checked were from amazon,

I'll check in Local shops and try to get the config you suggested.

Again, Thank you so much.

PCPartpicker is available in India as well. I was basing recommendations upon US market via PCPartpicker. Of course, in India availability and prices might differ. There should be an alternative to that miniature 1060 card though not really a Tier 1 or Tier 2 psu cheaper than that EVGA G2 model. Freaky psu market if I may say so. I'd still go with the EVGA if you can afford it. You could ask around for a Corsair CXM model from 2017. That's only listed as Tier 3 due to its fan. But the CX550 is not a bad psu, it's a decent middle class one though imho the psu is like the heart of your system. The better it is the more stable it runs even after a beefy upgrade. I've updated the build list.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (₹19900.00 @ Amazon India) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard  (₹7499.32 @ Amazon India) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (₹6272.05 @ Amazon India) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (₹3585.00 @ Amazon India) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card  (₹19090.23 @ Amazon India) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (₹5453.86 @ Amazon India) 
Total: ₹61800.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 04:25 IST+0530

On 10/31/2017 at 4:25 AM, bowrilla said:

PCPartpicker is available in India as well. I was basing recommendations upon US market via PCPartpicker. Of course, in India availability and prices might differ. There should be an alternative to that miniature 1060 card though not really a Tier 1 or Tier 2 psu cheaper than that EVGA G2 model. Freaky psu market if I may say so. I'd still go with the EVGA if you can afford it. You could ask around for a Corsair CXM model from 2017. That's only listed as Tier 3 due to its fan. But the CX550 is not a bad psu, it's a decent middle class one though imho the psu is like the heart of your system. The better it is the more stable it runs even after a beefy upgrade. I've updated the build list.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (₹19900.00 @ Amazon India) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard  (₹7499.32 @ Amazon India) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (₹6272.05 @ Amazon India) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (₹3585.00 @ Amazon India) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card  (₹19090.23 @ Amazon India) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (₹5453.86 @ Amazon India) 
Total: ₹61800.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 04:25 IST+0530

Any alternative for the power supply?

Theres import duty on that PSU on amazon thus doubling the price

If you can't find a 2017 CXM or affordable G2/G3 then you can go with that CX550. It's not terrible and not dangerous – just mediocre and maybe a bit louder – and potentially degrading faster over the years. You can have a look though at the PSU Tier List and see if you can find a Tier 2 or Tier 1 model in India for a good price.

9 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

If you can't find a 2017 CXM or affordable G2/G3 then you can go with that CX550. It's not terrible and not dangerous – just mediocre and maybe a bit louder – and potentially degrading faster over the years. You can have a look though at the PSU Tier List and see if you can find a Tier 2 or Tier 1 model in India for a good price.

Where would the Masterwatt Lite stand in tier list?

In that list, only the Masterwatt Maker is present.

You  can get a $50 ssd as a boot drive, although you'll probably only have 64gb

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

2 minutes ago, raj800 said:

Where would the Masterwatt Lite stand in tier list?

In that list, only the Masterwatt Maker is present.

Don't know. If it's not on the list it wasn't tested. Maybe you can find an indepth test from a respectable tech site.

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Don't know. If it's not on the list it wasn't tested. Maybe you can find an indepth test from a respectable tech site.

This power supply is 80+ Gold certified

but is in tier 4

On  other site, its written that this tier 2

Any idea about this psu?

Screenshot_20171101-231640.jpg

PSU models can change from year to year. Never had an Antec PSU so can't say anything about it.