$3500 Friend Build

he like fighting games a lot so i got a 240hz 1ms response monitor since reaction times are very important and i think it will more than the "buttery smooth" standard he wants, especially with a 1080ti

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7KMBM8

however i don't know(or unsure) too much about anything else in regards to the build or what he actually wants, like i said before, the build is pretty flexible price wise, but the before mentioned monitor, the basic ram 16 gb and memory (256 ssd and 1 tb hdd) and the 1080ti are for sure, anything else would be crippling with this budget

any advice or changes are welcome

Don't get a 240hz monitor, just get a 1440p 144hz or 4k, whichever he can afford.  Get faster ram and get it in the same kit (8x2) Get a normal SATA ssd

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

You might want to replace that monitor with one that supports G-Sync. Like the Asus PG258Q. Also, maybe get a faster 7200RPM hard drive instead like WD Black. And maybe go with a more premium keyboard.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

he like fighting games a lot so i got a 240hz 1ms response monitor since reaction times are very important and i think it will more than the "buttery smooth" standard he wants, especially with a 1080ti

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7KMBM8

however i don't know(or unsure) too much about anything else in regards to the build or what he actually wants, like i said before, the build is pretty flexible price wise, but the before mentioned monitor, the basic ram 16 gb and memory (256 ssd and 1 tb hdd) and the 1080ti are for sure, anything else would be crippling with this budget

any advice or changes are welcome

I'll go over a few parts and why I think you should or shouldn't get them.

8700K - high clockspeed is a must for 240Hz and more than 4 threads is as well. An 8700k is a good choice.

That motherboard is a very cheap Z370 board. You'd be better off with one that has a better power delivery design like a ROG Strix Z370-F which has a real power delivery design, which it appears you want to take advantage of as you're getting an AIO cooler. If you have no plans to OC then definitely get an air cooler as you won't have to deal with the headache of the pump failing in 3 years.

You can get better memory for the money.

No need for an M.2 SSD. They don't even really make sense as boot drives and are much more useful as cache solutions for Adobe Premiere and whatnot. It would be way more cost effective to get a SATA SSD that has it's own heatsink built in (AKA, the metal/plastic around the SSD itself).

The AMP EXTREME Zotac card is among the worst for cooling despite it's beefyness. See this video.

The H440 has awful airflow.

Here's an improved list with included fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2czBM8

2 minutes ago, Cree340 said:

You might want to replace that monitor with one that supports G-Sync. Like the Asus PG258Q.

G-sync is an unnecessary feature, especially considering that it's detrimental to people who play games at 240Hz. It adds input lag.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, Cree340 said:

You might want to replace that monitor with one that supports G-Sync. Like the Asus PG258Q. Also, maybe get a faster 7200RPM hard drive instead like WD Black. And maybe go with a more premium keyboard.

Blacks aren't noticeably faster and louder 

He should get a 2500 dollar PC and spend the rest on a really good controller

My life

6 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Blacks aren't noticeably faster and louder 

That was just an example but my experience is that 5400RPM hard drives are really slow and the budget is there for a better hard drive.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

17 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'll go over a few parts and why I think you should or shouldn't get them.

8700K - high clockspeed is a must for 240Hz and more than 4 threads is as well. An 8700k is a good choice.

That motherboard is a very cheap Z370 board. You'd be better off with one that has a better power delivery design like a ROG Strix Z370-F which has a real power delivery design, which it appears you want to take advantage of as you're getting an AIO cooler. If you have no plans to OC then definitely get an air cooler as you won't have to deal with the headache of the pump failing in 3 years.

You can get better memory for the money.

No need for an M.2 SSD. They don't even really make sense as boot drives and are much more useful as cache solutions for Adobe Premiere and whatnot. It would be way more cost effective to get a SATA SSD that has it's own heatsink built in (AKA, the metal/plastic around the SSD itself).

The AMP EXTREME Zotac card is among the worst for cooling despite it's beefyness. See this video.

The H440 has awful airflow.

Here's an improved list with included fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2czBM8

G-sync is an unnecessary feature, especially considering that it's detrimental to people who play games at 240Hz. It adds input lag.

yeah; half this build was a rework on someone else's build so overlooking something is very possible

however i like my msi motherboards so i got the equivalent (i think, motherboards are the one part of pc that has a ton of thing you can easily overlook more than any other) and i opted for an msi gpu because i like msi builds, i've had a basic military class mother board from em, the MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) and it still holds up well

here is my modified list based on everyone else's recommendations

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MD9hCy

2 hours ago, General Winter said:

MSI motherboards as of recent have been getting a lot of flak for being way too expensive for the circuitry onboard, esp. for overclockers. Almost any Asrock/Asus board would be a better choice for the money than any MSI board. That Z97 PC Mate is no exception with a cheap 4-phase which, although enough for a Haswell i5, wouldn't be enough to seriously OC an i7.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Pro Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($161.03 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card  ($804.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($745.37 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Redragon - K552-R KUMARA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair - M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Sennheiser - PC 350 SE  Headset  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $3075.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-29 15:49 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

MSI motherboards as of recent have been getting a lot of flak for being way too expensive for the circuitry onboard, esp. for overclockers. Almost any Asrock/Asus board would be a better choice for the money than any MSI board. That Z97 PC Mate is no exception with a cheap 4-phase which, although enough for a Haswell i5, wouldn't be enough to seriously OC an i7.

but thats my PC (i made around 3-4 years ago) that has NOTHING to do with this build, i was just saying they have solid build and cooling quality and i have an i5 4690k, does everything i need

if you actually looked at the list, you'd see the newer motherboard (also, you're comparing a budget 4th gen board to an 8th gen gaming board, of course one is going to be better than the other)

if actually looked at my modified list and actually explained yourself instead of "i don't like msi" then im listening, but you clearly weren't with my statement (or the mentioned part list)

1 hour ago, General Winter said:

but thats my PC (i made around 3-4 years ago) that has NOTHING to do with this build, i was just saying they have solid build and cooling quality and i have an i5 4690k, does everything i need

if you actually looked at the list, you'd see the newer motherboard (also, you're comparing a budget 4th gen board to an 8th gen gaming board, of course one is going to be better than the other)

if actually looked at my modified list and actually explained yourself instead of "i don't like msi" then im listening, but you clearly weren't with my statement (or the mentioned part list)

They don't have solid build quality, that's what I'm referencing. They cheap out on power delivery components that Asus and Asrock don't cheap out on. That's why I suggested the latter two brands over MSI.

I did look at your list. You had a Gaming M5 board chosen over the ones I suggested. The Z370-F has a better power delivery design, thus a justifiable reason to buy it over the MSI. 

I pushed a lot through four videos so I'll give you some time to watch them. MSI has been on a downward spiral for awhile now with their boards.

6 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

They don't have solid build quality, that's what I'm referencing. They cheap out on power delivery components that Asus and Asrock don't cheap out on. That's why I suggested the latter two brands over MSI.

I did look at your list. You had a Gaming M5 board chosen over the ones I suggested. The Z370-F has a better power delivery design, thus a justifiable reason to buy it over the MSI. 

I pushed a lot through four videos so I'll give you some time to watch them. MSI has been on a downward spiral for awhile now with their boards.

well, i feel like you exclusively listen to this guy cause i've never heard of this nexus guy but he really has a grudge against msi (which im guessing rubbed off to you); i haven't since someone piss on msi so much since you (and your videos, not anything you said cause anybody could say something is worse without hard numbers and facts)

this is interesting to note but none of these are about the gaming board i picked and you still haven't given me any hard number to prove "better power delivery" and the such

you make it sound as if asus doesn't make shitty things either (my gpu is asus rog its great), like the rog 1070 laptops, piss poor cooling compared to the similairly priced msi laptop and half the battery life, its a no brainer to get the msi build, the layout is great on it too (i got this for $1400 and it doesn't have boot issues like the last video that was pissing on the dragon center which i find helpful https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2NKH1/ref=twister_B01MUTUIJQ?th=1 )

i'd also like to add that the dragon center is actually pretty handy as eco switch on it lowers power drain which is great when im just reading e books and pdfs for college which from my research asus didn't have on their laptop

if you don't give hard numbers yourself, im not taking your word

well, i feel like you exclusively listen to this guy cause i've never heard of this nexus guy but he really has a grudge against msi (which im guessing rubbed off to you); i haven't since someone piss on msi so much since you (and your videos, not anything you said cause anybody could say something is worse without hard numbers and facts)

He is well known in the tech industry for more in-depth looks at stuff - delids, VRM overviews, etc. He works with Buildzoid (A well known extreme overclocker) for the VRM breakdowns.

The MSI Z370 M5 VRM + Heatsink is equivalent to the STRIX G, it's a worse overall board than the STRIX F but if it's cheaper then you can't argue with the cost saving.

Sauce: http://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread#

Not I'm not saying MSI is horrible here but they have made some... questionable decisions before (ASUS/Gigabyte are just as bad, ASRock is usually a little better but even then, not by much...)

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

this is interesting to note but none of these are about the gaming board i picked and you still haven't given me any hard number to prove "better power delivery" and the such

you make it sound as if asus doesn't make shitty things either (my gpu is asus rog its great), like the rog 1070 laptops, piss poor cooling compared to the similairly priced msi laptop and half the battery life, its a no brainer to get the msi build, the layout is great on it too (i got this for $1400 and it doesn't have boot issues like the last video that was pissing on the dragon center which i find helpful https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2NKH1/ref=twister_B01MUTUIJQ?th=1 )

i'd also like to add that the dragon center is actually pretty handy as eco switch on it lowers power drain which is great when im just reading e books and pdfs for college which from my research asus didn't have on their laptop

if you don't give hard numbers yourself, im not taking your word

I’m typing this on mobile which is utter AIDS so pardon if my formatting breaks or weird words form on here. To be fair, your posts lack a lot of grammar that would make them more legible. Anyways.

The VRMs and the circuitry that backs up the CPU on a motherboard are crucial to overclocking, especially if efficiency and longevity of your chip and motherboard are to be taken into account. Although in reality most people would never actively see a difference between two motherboards’ ability to overclock, there are differences between the semiconductors, heatsinkng, counts of phases, and use of doubling (list goes on but these are the core things) that separates high-end Z-mobos from low-end ones. This is why the Asrock Taichi costs significantly more than the Extreme4 despite having basically all of the same features. The MSI you chose can sustain a cozy 1.4V on an 8700K fine, but the Z370F is ever so slightly better for about the same amount of money.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread/30#post_26381626

Please relieve me of the cancer that is typing this paragraph up on mobile and read through that thread where they talk about the power delivery on the various boards. My TL;DR still stands at “Get the Z370F” but perhaps take a look at the Extreme4 as well.

11 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

He is well known in the tech industry for more in-depth looks at stuff - delids, VRM overviews, etc. He works with Buildzoid (A well known extreme overclocker) for the VRM breakdowns.

The MSI Z370 M5 VRM + Heatsink is equivalent to the STRIX G, it's a worse overall board than the STRIX F but if it's cheaper then you can't argue with the cost saving.

Sauce: http://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread#

Not I'm not saying MSI is horrible here but they have made some... questionable decisions before (ASUS/Gigabyte are just as bad, ASRock is usually a little better but even then, not by much...)

yeah, i doubt my friend will end up overclocking, but he has a budget for a better motherboard so i will just look into it a bit more, but yeah the other guy just made it sound like msi was the only one who has done dumb stuff (and everyone in those vids of his too)

also, the site won't load for me (im doing a lot of other stuff and i have slow internet), if you could put the graphs here via screenshot or the such, i'd appreciate it