Any ideas for an great keyboard?

LeadOn

Hi all! I need your help and your opinion on something. I'm actually making an upgrade of my old scrap based setup. I'm a big Overwatch and Battle Royale player, and I need to change my Keyboard, but, don't have any ideas. What keyboard do you use? I looked for maybe Blue Cherry MX switches, with some nice RGB :3

But what are you using all ?

Bought a Corsair K95 Platinum a couple of months ago. I went for the brown switches instead of the Speeds, simply because that's what I'm used to. Though expensive I think it doesn't get much better than that, at least for what I want from a keyboard. I too play a lot of pubg and Overwatch and it has served me well. Also the passthrough USB port is something I use frequently to connect my controller for rocket league and the position of it is great for me. I mostly keep the lights on white but I use a special blue/orange profile for OW and that looks great.

CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S here. It's got Cherry MX Blue switches and all the arrgeebees.

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

Gonna check this, thank u guys, open for other request during time :P

Oh, I see, but I think blue is better for me, because I do a LOT of gaming, but i'm studiying in developpment right now, so I type a lot too.., What do you think in my case ?

24 minutes ago, LeadOn said:

Hi all! I need your help and your opinion on something. I'm actually making an upgrade of my old scrap based setup. I'm a big Overwatch and Battle Royale player, and I need to change my Keyboard, but, don't have any ideas. What keyboard do you use? I looked for maybe Blue Cherry MX switches, with some nice RGB :3

But what are you using all ?

You can build one yourself if you have the skills to.

G910. My Fav.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I use the fully programmable GH60. One is my work board one is for home. They both have Zealios 62g switches, but will take any MX compatible switch. I didn't install any LEDs as that is a useless feature but they do support LED function as well. IMG_20171014_010235.thumb.jpg.f7d51b04335e2e67b47a9298a47f4bfc.jpg

22 hours ago, L.Lawliet said:

While its all subjective..imo blue is not good for gaming because :

1.Its heavy

2.Tactile meaning u'll have to fully bottom out the keys to press it again

But a lot of people hate red cause it sucks for typing because it is..Linear switches like red arent good for typing but it is good for gaming, But some people like tactile switches for gaming thats why Cherry Mx Brown exist..yes it is brown has tactile feedback and had the same characteristic as Red but its not clicky..

What? This whole cherry mx switches confuse u? dont fret..here's a GIF of most commonly used cherry switches.

Reveal hidden contents

59f4d962c894f_MECHANICALSWITCHES.thumb.gif.deaf6287db84b9e976031837d04f174f.gif

Linear switches are terrible for gaming because you have to guess when they activate. Where as for typing they're okayish because the activation point doesn't matter. The notion that linear switches are good for gaming is a myth and marketing ploy be keyboard manufactures trying to sell shit to the gamer crowd. 

Also it's BS that a clicky switch needs to bottom out to reset. 

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

I use the fully programmable GH60. One is my work board one is for home. They both have Zealios 62g switches, but will take any MX compatible switch. I didn't install any LEDs as that is a useless feature but they do support LED function as well. IMG_20171014_010235.thumb.jpg.f7d51b04335e2e67b47a9298a47f4bfc.jpg

So for u blue switches are good enough for gaming?

9 minutes ago, LeadOn said:

So for u blue switches are good enough for gaming?

No. They're not good for anything. They feel of them is terrible IMO. Blues, and any click jacket switch, feel pointlessly complex. If I wanted clicks I'd get an alps style clicky switch. Though I personally use Zealios, a purely tactile switch. 

3 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

Linear switches are bad for gaming because you can't feel them activate. 

A clicky switch will activate when you press it to it's activation point, usually 2mm, and will reset when you release it from that point, all without ever bottoming out. 

4 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

1.Its subjective

2.No u dont have to, just fully press the key and it will be activated no need to guess

3.After u release the keys it will bottom out because u no longer pressing it that is unless ur finger still halfway holding it and re-press it which is requires a lot of practice,it will reduce the clicky noise but even if you didn't bottom it out there would still be clicks from the internals of the switch actuating.

and when typing u'll bottom out cause u'll not be pressing one keys only.

1. Entirely. My issue is this notion floating around than linear switch = gaming switch for ... reasons? and that is some hard unquestioned truth as is evident by people repeating it mater-of-factually practically every where keyboards are discussed even in this very thread.  

2a. That sounds tiring when needing to repeat a single key rapidly.

2b. It adds an element of uncertainty when you have to do a fast sequence and need to be sure every key in that sequence was hit. "Oops, I hit that key but accidentally didn't bottom out, did it activate or not? I guess I'll never know." With clicky and tactile switches there's none of that. If it fed back it activated, if not it didn't. 

2c. No. I don't want to.

3. I have no idea what your point is, but it's simply factually wrong that a clicky (click jacket at least) style switch needs to bottom out to be reset and pressed again.

2 hours ago, L.Lawliet said:

1.Because it is good for gaming no one actually did what u do..most people always bottom the keys after pressing it and on tactile switches like blues its a pain because when gaming u'll often rapidly press the keys like a lunatic and about guessing no one really did that just press the keys with ur finger and it will be registered whats the big deal? ur finger has enough power to full registered red switches to it's actuation point without having to guess, have faith in each press lol

2a.not with red switches nope cause it doesnt require a force as much as blue switches (imo) cause i've tried it

2b.haha use brown then if that is ur problem

2c.okay

3.Once again most people the normies always bottom out the keys when using whatever switches they had especially while typing cause u'll not be pressing one keys.

To not bottom out like u said u'll have to press the keys halfway down and re-pressing it again and its requires a lot of practice..

Now if u excuse me i have an old friend for dinner

1 Blues are classified clickies not tactiles, clickies are worse for gaming that linears because the up and down stroke are different making rapid pressing even more challenging. Power is irreverent in this situation. It's about travel distance. If they made 1.5mm to 2mm total travel linear switches I wouldn't care so much. But then they would feel bad for typing and a tactile switch is still better anyway. 

2a Again, it's about travel distance, not weight. If I have to go 4mm every time to make sure it registers that's too much. And If I don't go 4mm then I'm just guessing at activation. 

2b. Browns are barely tactile, unless you are talking about Kailh box browns. But I'll stick to Zealios thanks. 

3. Bottoming out when typing is fine. But when gaming it sucks when playing fast.

It really seems like your entire argument is centered around weight (reds are lighter than blues therefore better) which really has jack all to do with with the type of switch it is. The spring determines the weight, the stem design determines the  type of switch it is. You can get a lighter clicky or tactile, you can get super heavy liners. I prefer a light switch too. The zealios I use have about the same activation force a MX brown.

I got a Leopold FC660M not too long ago and absolutely love it. I would recommend it to anyone who is proficient enough to type without lettered keycaps. Its a 60-ish% keyboard meaning there is no numbered, so its super compact, and won't get in the way of your mouse when you are playing video games. The build quality is the best I've seen, and is just overall a great purchase. It can come in almost any switch type. I would recommend getting a switch testing kit from Mechnicalkeyboads.com and trying them out before you buy one, that is if this is your first mech keyboard you'll be picking up. (From what I've seen and heard from friends the following is true) Reds are typically better for gaming since they are lighter and much easier to press, while blues are more tactile, and make a glorious clicking sound to let you know when the switch has been activated, and are generally more for typing then gaming.

If RGB is your thing, and you want your number pad, id recommend a K70 RGB with either reds or blues.

Thanks all, RGB is one of the greatest thing ever made, nah joking :P

I'm gonna check all your references this night, thanks again all !