could i just insert this hard drive

hey guys, i recently just got an ssd, i've got it working and all, but what I'm wondering about is if i can take an old hard drive that already has windows 10 on it, and take my ssd which already has windows 10 on it, plug them into the same motherboard and have ALL my data? it would make it really easy to recover my stuff if this is somehow possible

it would work but the bios may decide to boot from the old hard drive in stead of the new one, making the upgrade pointless. I'd say put your data on an external drive and then format the old drive to use as storage (the windows OS takes up somewhere around 40gb so you probably don't want to just leave it.)

yes, only the main drive or boot drive will load windoes. the other drive will have windows on it but just the files and they wont be active, and all the other data will be on it too.

only the boot drive will use an OS installed on it the other drives are for storage only and no OS on it will activate 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

1 minute ago, dogetorhue said:

it would work but the bios may decide to boot from the old hard drive in stead of the new one, making the upgrade pointless. I'd say put your data on an external drive and then format the old drive to use as storage (the windows OS takes up somewhere around 40gb so you probably don't want to just leave it.)

heres my question, if i did it with a normal bios setup but plugged the other hdd into sata_2 instead of sata_1 (which my boot drive will be plugged in) will my pc automatically decide to choose the sata_1 storage device simply because it comes before 2? i just dont want to screw something up tbh

1 hour ago, nfolenius said:

heres my question, if i did it with a normal bios setup but plugged the other hdd into sata_2 instead of sata_1 (which my boot drive will be plugged in) will my pc automatically decide to choose the sata_1 storage device simply because it comes before 2? i just dont want to screw something up tbh

you pick in the BIOS what drive is used to boot from. what SATA port its in does not matter, 

you can have your SSD on sata 4 and HDD on SATA 1 and if you pick the SSD as the boot drive it will be the boot from the SSD not the HDD

I have one HDD with linux and one with windoes, when I want to use linux i just go into bios, set my linux drive as the boot drive and boot it up and my PC runs linux 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Just now, nfolenius said:

Generally the bios identifies a boot drive based on a serial number, so if you plug in a random drive before it will still boot from the original one. you'd have to modify the boot order in bios.

2 minutes ago, nfolenius said:

sata_1 and 2 are just numbers, not position. by default the original drive would boot first then the second drive that u just plugged but it could change so double check BIOS.

rip

nfolenius 

I get U'r frustration. As this is your first build, it's not easy to ask the right question, or for us to give the right answer. But we have all been there, and are only trying to help.

Although Linus makes everything seem easy we have all been there. Be patient, and you'll soon get there! ;)

I see you have asked the same question in 3 different threads and the answer is no, you can't take a disk formatted as MBR from a system using the traditional BIOS and put it in a newer system that uses UEFI. 

You have to reinstall windows on the new system and format it as GPT. It's a bit of work but there is no other way. 

That is why you get the message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." as you asked in another thread.

Use the search function on chanel Techquickie and google. That's the only way to learn.

Hope this helps, and wish you luck!