Question about GTX 960 SLI

l0lter

So I know Linus has a video about it and the GTX 960 seems kinda old and not really worth anymore but hear me out. My PC is about 2 years old and I don't see myself replacing it in the next 2 years. I got the Asus Turbo GTX 960 OC 2 gigs and I see them around for the equivalent of 100$ which I am able to spend. It would boost my performance considerably and I was wondering if my PSU (FSP Raider 550w Silver certified) and my CPU (Core i5 4460) can handle it.

Some games dont particularly scale well with SLI cards, your better off getting a more powerful GPU then two weaker ones. I'd suggest getting a used 980 or even a 980ti, the 980 is the budget card out of the two still giving a decent amount of performance, but the 980ti is definitely worth considering, it generally goes for $300 (used) or if you can get one cheaper, I'd definitely recommend getting it, it is nearly identical to a 1070 but it beats it out at stock speeds, but when the 980ti is overclocked, it beats out the 1070 and the gaming performance of the 980ti is really good and will be worth while considering the amount of performance you get. The 980 is still a good GPU to consider which is cheaper, but the 980ti improves on performance in this segment, but its still something to consider.

If you sell your 960 for $100 as well, you'll have $200 to spend. That can get you a GTX970 or 1060 3Gig. Infinitely better than going 960 SLI.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

If you sell your 960 for $100 as well, you'll have $200 to spend. That can get you a GTX970 or 1060 3Gig. Infinitely better than going 960 SLI.

Doubt anyone besides me is looking for a 960 though...more so a used one. And prices here are a bit odd. The cheapest 1060 I can find is about the equivalent of 300$ which is a bit too much for me.

20 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Some games dont particularly scale well with SLI cards, your better off getting a more powerful GPU then two weaker ones. I'd suggest getting a used 980 or even a 980ti, the 980 is the budget card out of the two still giving a decent amount of performance, but the 980ti is definitely worth considering, it generally goes for $300 (used) or if you can get one cheaper, I'd definitely recommend getting it, it is nearly identical to a 1070 but it beats it out at stock speeds, but when the 980ti is overclocked, it beats out the 1070 and the gaming performance of the 980ti is really good and will be worth while considering the amount of performance you get. The 980 is still a good GPU to consider which is cheaper, but the 980ti improves on performance in this segment, but its still something to consider.

Won't be able to find a 980 for under 300$ here believe me. And I'm not looking to spend that much. I just want a bit of a performance boost that would keep me going for the next 2 years. Not that a single 960 is doing bad. My GPU allows me to play basically everything. It's just some 25-30ish FPS boost for a 100$ in my eyes which is a totally worthy trade I believe. But my question was can the PSU handle 2 of them and should I expect a bottleneck be it a small one since my CPU isn't one of the most powerful in the i5 family.

1 minute ago, l0lter said:

Won't be able to find a 980 for under 300$ here believe me. And I'm not looking to spend that much. I just want a bit of a performance boost that would keep me going for the next 2 years. Not that a single 960 is doing bad. My GPU allows me to play basically everything. It's just some 25-30ish FPS boost for a 100$ in my eyes which is a totally worthy trade I believe. But my question was can the PSU handle 2 of them and should I expect a bottleneck be it a small one since my CPU isn't one of the most powerful in the i5 family.

550W is enough wattage for the two cards and make sure you have the allocated amount of cables for them as well.