FIRST Robotics

I don't know if there is already a topic for this but I don't think there is. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about FIRST Robotics. More importantly I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what this year's game is. If you don't know what it is go to https://www.firstinspires.org/ to find out more.

Just now, aidkvndfj said:

I don't know if there is already a topic for this but I don't think there is. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about FIRST Robotics. More importantly I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what this year's game is. If you don't know what it is go to https://www.firstinspires.org/ to find out more.

FRC team 3623!

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

11 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

FRC team 3623!

Cool, how did you guys do in worlds?

FIRST Robotics was one of the best things I did back in High School. 4 years with Team 61 from 2011-2015. I have 3 second place medals hanging in my room. We came close several times but were never quite able to take a win while I was there. A bunch of financing BS with my school lead to the team shutting down after the 2015 season but it does appear that we are registered again for the 2018 Rhode Island District so maybe we have come out of retirement.

Just now, Squirrel724 said:

FIRST Robotics was one of the best things I did back in High School. 4 years with Team 61 from 2011-2015. I have 3 second place medals hanging in my room. We came close several times but were never quite able to take a win while I was there. A bunch of financing BS with my school lead to the team shutting down after the 2015 season but it does appear that we are registered again for the 2018 Rhode Island District so maybe we have come out of retirement.

Wow that sounds intense, and the fact that you where on one of the first FIRST teams ever (see what I did there) is very cool.

3 hours ago, aidkvndfj said:

Cool, how did you guys do in worlds?

Really bad lol we got lucky in week 1 at wpi, then managed to hang in high enough on the regional rankings that we went to world's for our first time, then got rekt :(

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

Really bad lol we got lucky in week 1 at wpi, then managed to hang in high enough on the regional rankings that we went to world's for our first time, then got rekt :(

RIP that sucks, at least you got to experience worlds :)

Just now, aidkvndfj said:

RIP that sucks, at least you got to experience worlds :)

And our van got broken no into at the arch :|

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

And our van got broken no into at the arch :|

wow that sucks, sorry about that.

1 hour ago, aidkvndfj said:

Wow that sounds intense, and the fact that you where on one of the first FIRST teams ever (see what I did there) is very cool.

Its pretty cool to be one of the few teams who has competed under multiple numbers in their history. Before 1998 teams were assigned new numbers each year alphabetically by primary sponsor (for example my team was number 44 in 1997 before being assigned 61 in 1998). In 1998 numbers were assigned like previously but then they became permanent into the future. Very few teams get to say they carry a sponsor assigned number (only 1-208 were assigned in 1998 and I would wager less than 100 of those teams still compete today). Even fewer have ever competed without a number (teams weren't given numbers until 1997). There are some younger teams who get to run lower numbers because if a team splits from another team they are assigned an available number from the parent team's formation year.

Hoping for a water game this year! 

I graduated last year, but I am part of my university's Ri3D team for this year's game. We have a large group of FIRST alumni at the school who will be working on creating two different robots. The entire 72 hours will be livestreamed, to show the process, from designing to building.

I spent more time doing VEX than FRC, but I feel FRC was much more interesting and applied. I would highly reccomend it to anyone who has the opportunity to participate.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

21 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

FTC, FLL, or FRC?

when I said "this years game" I meant this year's FRC game.

29 minutes ago, aidkvndfj said:

Ah okay, my club is ftc because it's only too expensive. Frc is way too expensive.

ASU

32 minutes ago, aidkvndfj said:

Team 20 Rocketeers Represent!

Yes, the team was a "founding team" back in 1991! Ironically last year or the year before was the only time the team ever made it to Einstein Field (the "finals" so to speak) We've won plenty of regionals! A low number doesnt always mean old team though. A few numbers were retired and later granted to new teams. Also in some instances, some teams split into two entirely different teams (Ours is a good example, where Team 20 split and became Teams 20 and 250)

The US FIRST board that determines the game rules usually starts a game concept two years ahead of it's scheduled release, and will intermittently release hints about the game in the coming months before it's release. Usually they're too obscure to make a concrete conclusion but many times speculation has been somewhat in the right direction. AFAIK they haven't released a game hint yet, but I could be wrong. I haven't been involved this year due to personal things in my life.

Specifically I was a CAD student on the team (Now I'm a CAD mentor) 

(Sorry this is the 2016 Robot, I cant find a render of the 2017, All I had were dwg files)

Image23.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Ah okay, my club is ftc because it's only too expensive. Frc is way too expensive.

yeah that makes sense

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Team 20 Rocketeers Represent!

Yes, the team was a "founding team" back in 1991! Ironically last year or the year before was the only time the team ever made it to Einstein Field (the "finals" so to speak) We've won plenty of regionals! A low number doesnt always mean old team though. A few numbers were retired and later granted to new teams. Also in some instances, some teams split into two entirely different teams (Ours is a good example, where Team 20 split and became Teams 20 and 250)

The US FIRST board that determines the game rules usually starts a game concept two years ahead of it's scheduled release, and will intermittently release hints about the game in the coming months before it's release. Usually they're too obscure to make a concrete conclusion but many times speculation has been somewhat in the right direction. AFAIK they haven't released a game hint yet, but I could be wrong. I haven't been involved this year due to personal things in my life.

Specifically I was a CAD student on the team (Now I'm a CAD mentor) 

Wow 2 years! I thought they only did 1 year in advanced! Thats pretty crazy. So far they have only released a teaser (power up) and no more :(

4 minutes ago, aidkvndfj said:

yeah that makes sense, our teams budget is over $100,000

:o Holy shit. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, aidkvndfj said:

Wow 2 years! I thought they only did 1 year in advanced! Thats pretty crazy. So far they have only released a teaser (power up) and no more :(

Yep! Currently the board is either starting or beginning development of the 2020 game!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, Hackentosher said:

:o Holy shit. 

Yeah, it's not cheap at all. Fortunately we have a lot of sponsors as well as fund raisers. (it helps when you have a big team of over 70+ students though)

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yeah, it's not cheap at all. Fortunately we have a lot of sponsors as well as fund raisers. (it helps when you have a big team of over 70+ students though)

definitely, I checked and its about 80,000 so a bit less than I thought

2 hours ago, aidkvndfj said:

yeah that makes sense, our teams budget is over $100,000

Let me guess, 1114 or 2056?

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D