Dying USB Ports?

Crunchy Dragon

So on my laptop, I have 3 USB 2 ports and 1 USB 3 port. Until recently every port worked fine, but for some random reason, my keyboard(plugged into a USB 2 port) stopped working and didn't work until I plugged it into the USB 3 port(which my mouse was plugged into). Now I have to plug my mouse into a USB 2 port, and none of them are working.

The lights turn on properly for my mouse and keyboard, but there's no actual input.

How do I tell if I have a dying USB port?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

usually you will have a notification if one of your usb ports are having overvoltage, but after that maybe that is the end of your port if it is not working

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

If all the USB2.0 ports are not fully functioning then in your case it sounds like the 5V + GND are fine but the controller chip that manages the + & - data pins for the ports has stopped working. This controller chip is not a easily user serviceable part.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If all the USB2.0 ports are not fully functioning then in your case it sounds like the 5V + GND are fine but the controller chip that manages the + & - data pins for the ports has stopped working. This controller chip is not a easily user serviceable part.

so basically I'm screwed and need to get a USB hub?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

so basically I'm screwed and need to get a USB hub?

I'm just making an observation. I cannot say for sure it is the issue but in the event that it is then either RMA it if it is still under the manufacturers warranty or you'll need a hub. Preferably USB3.0 so you can still get near 3.0 speeds with corresponding devices.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I'm just making an observation. I cannot say for sure it is the issue but in the event that it is then either RMA it if it is still under the manufacturers warranty or you'll need a hub. Preferably USB3.0 so you can still get near 3.0 speeds with corresponding devices.

This laptop is 6 years old and I got it used. I'm looking up USB 3 hubs now.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This laptop is 6 years old and I got it used. I'm looking up USB 3 hubs now.

hearing that my current laptop has 2 USB 3.0 ports from like the Sandybridge m Cpu ages

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

hearing that my current laptop has 2 USB 3.0 ports from like the Sandybridge m Cpu ages

I have an i5-2430M

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have an i5-2430M

mine is i3-2330M, liek wow. Asus A44H Laptop here

anyways maybe it is a great time to check out on USB hubs

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :