Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which headphones?

unknownmiscreant

Vote!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What would you buy? (prices in NZD)

• Shure SRH840 - $360
    • AudioTechnica M40x - $230
    • Shure SRH440 - $160
    • Beyderdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) - $300
    • Something else (say below)

What would you choose?

Any comments also appreciated.

Thanks.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

It would highly depend on your use case, which I assume is some kind of (studio) monitoring thing?

Also, I hope you mean the M50X, because the M40X for 230 USD is a bad deal.

Also, damn.. Beyerdynamic is expensive.. Where ever you live. I can get them for 150 euros where I live.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hi there! :)

My myself have the Astro's A50 Gen3.

But that's actually not what I would recommend in a daily basis to anyone.

The thing (imo) is that a headset for the computer is very but very personal. I explain.

The thing is that in terms of sound (talking myself with a proffesional in music recording about it some months ago, also trying various of the best headset he had in the studio) what matters the most is the source and not the cans you buy. And with a computer, even if you put money on a sound card... well the reality is that the source still gonna be poor.

Which let us with the rest of product details. Such as battery life, wired or not, comfort etc. That is imo the actual things you need to be comparing off to choose the right ones for you.

I add something here, as long as I've been making tons of testing with 7.1 surround virtual etc. It's a gimmick. Period.

If you want to pin point anything use regular stereo mode. Because 7.1 virtualized will only mix all the sounds in a mess around your head which will result in you not being able to tell from where they come from (I have one of the best headset in the market, and even this cannot do the job they promise).

So taking in count all of them will sound more or less the same, in case of doubt, go for the budget ones :) 

If you want a personal opinion about good budget headset that will do the job the HyperX Cloud 2 are an extremely good option.

So this are my overall tips to choose a good pair of headsets :)

I'd get a used pair of Beyer 770. They are tough so even used they retain good value.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

30 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It would highly depend on your use case, which I assume is some kind of (studio) monitoring thing?

Also, I hope you mean the M50X, because the M40X for 230 USD is a bad deal.

Also, damn.. Beyerdynamic is expensive.. Where ever you live. I can get them for 150 euros where I live.

Just music listening. Dubstep, techno, electronic, rock, dance. Don't do anything studio related.

I live in New Zealand. Prices are in NZD, as stated in the poll. 230NZD = 160USD.

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21707

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21539

I don't want the M50(x) as I do not want a V-shaped frequency response without a sound stage. I know the DT770 Pro also is V-shaped, but has a good sound stage for closed headphones. @FIXXX I know its really tough, thats one of the reasons I was considering it. Any other thoughts/opinions about it?

@Karl Sven Thanks for the info. However I am looking for wired headphones not a (wireless) headset. I have a desk mic which I use very rarely ( I could count on one hand the number of times I have used it) for voice chat and some audio recording, it serves its purpose just fine.

I have an Asus strix Soar sound card, and will be primarily using the headphones off this, but may use my laptop/phone (oneplus 3, which has a very poor quality DAC and headphone amp.) I might try sort out an amp later if required.

I know the surround is a gimmick, just the way its marketed is enough. Enabling virtualized surround on my sound card with my stereo speakers makes everything sound worse.

The Hyper X cloud 2 is $140NZ, so just under the SRH440.

Also, @BryceJonathan what would you recommend given you voted for "Something else (say below)".

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

7 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Just music listening. Dubstep, techno, electronic, rock, dance. Don't do anything studio related.

I live in New Zealand. Prices are in NZD, as stated in the poll. 230NZD = 160USD.

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21707

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21539

I don't want the M50(x) as I do not want a V-shaped frequency response without a sound stage. I know the DT770 Pro also is V-shaped, but has a good sound stage for closed headphones. @FIXXX I know its really tough, thats one of the reasons I was considering it. Any other thoughts/opinions about it?

@Karl Sven Thanks for the info. However I am looking for wired headphones not a (wireless) headset. I have a desk mic which I use very rarely ( I could count on one hand the number of times I have used it) for voice chat and some audio recording, it serves its purpose just fine.

I have an Asus strix Soar sound card, and will be primarily using the headphones off this, but may use my laptop/phone (oneplus 3, which has a very poor quality DAC and headphone amp.) I might try sort out an amp later if required.

I know the surround is a gimmick, just the way its marketed is enough. Enabling virtualized surround on my sound card with my stereo speakers makes everything sound worse.

The Hyper X cloud 2 is $140NZ, so just under the SRH440.

Also, @BryceJonathan what would you recommend given you voted for "Something else (say below)".

Ok, now that I have more info I might have a good cans for your Dubstep sessions (I also like that kinda music) 

http://v-moda.com/crossfade2-wireless/

They're pricey. But for electronic music listening... Well, just try them out, is the best on the market right now;) They also have a wired cheaper version so check it out.

If you still wanna go budget I insist with the HyperX. They're wired, have a great stereo sound, have a detachable mic (so no problem if you're not using it)  and at least in Sweden are 50€ (don't know if that's 140NZ :)

2 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

Ok, now that I have more info I might have a good cans for your Dubstep sessions (I also like that kinda music) 

http://v-moda.com/crossfade2-wireless/

They're pricey. But for electronic music listening... Well, just try them out ;) 

If you still wanna go budget I insist with the HyperX. They're wired, have a great stereo sound and at least in Sweden are 50€ (don't know if that's 140NZ :)

I generally run my subwoofer with flat response all the time, even with dubstep, it can over accentuate, which gives a really solid bottom end, but I prefer flat. However it is fully equalized (linkwitz transform circuit,) so its flat to 30Hz. Not sure how the corssfade 2 compares, but I tried a pair of crossfade M-100 the other day (on my strix soar) and didn't like them much, too much bass and voices didn't sound right (not confident enough with the fancy terminology :P,) but they definitely suffered from laid-back mid and treble as a few reviews state. I also noticed alot of the high bass/low mid range was lost compared to my stereo setup. Also $330USD is a bit out of my price range, its gotta really be worth it.

I will definitely do some more research into the hyper X.

Thanks for the help.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I generally run my subwoofer with flat response all the time, even with dubstep, it can over accentuate, which gives a really solid bottom end, but I prefer flat. However it is fully equalized (linkwitz transform circuit,) so its flat to 30Hz. Not sure how the corssfade 2 compares, but I tried a pair of crossfade M-100 the other day (on my strix soar) and didn't like them much, too much bass and voices didn't sound right (not confident enough with the fancy terminology :P,) but they definitely suffered from laid-back mid and treble as a few reviews state. I also noticed alot of the high bass/low mid range was lost compared to my stereo setup. Also $330USD is a bit out of my price range, its gotta really be worth it.

I will definitely do some more research into the hyper X.

Thanks for the help.

Check this out from partners of Linus tech tips channel.

Is a brand new model of the HyperX cloud.

Worth check it out. Cause the Cloud 2 were already very good.

By the way. And leaving behind overhead headsets....

I honestly prefer (just for music listening wise) inside ear headphones much much more than over head in terms of punch bass and clear voices... so take that in count, there's also in ear headphones :) 

1 minute ago, Karl Sven said:

By the way. And leaving behind overhead headsets....

I honestly prefer (just for music listening wise) inside ear headphones much much more than over head in terms of punch bass and clear voices... so take that in count, there's also in ear headphones :) 

Okay, what would you recommend? I currently have a pair of sennheiser cx3.00. I also had a pair of CX-300-II that broke. 

The CX-300-II had a bit too much bass for my liking and the CX-3.00 have a bit too little. But the voices are definitely good.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Okay, what would you recommend? I currently have a pair of sennheiser cx3.00. I also had a pair of CX-300-II that broke. 

The CX-300-II had a bit too much bass for my liking and the CX-3.00 have a bit too little. But the voices are definitely good.

Well, for what you say you're not a bass head.

And I still will go with the new Hyper X with double chamber for bass and voices. They sound like what you need right?

Anyways, which country are you from? Do you have open buy? Can you buy something, try it out and take it back in 15 days after the trial? Cause then that's what you should do.

Headsets is something you need to try yourself. Even if I would put here all the specifications and teckie stuff you would be after... maybe they're not comfortable for you or does not have the sound you want....

So that's my best advice. Try them out :) And still recommend the Hyper X. The Cloud 2 or the new Alpha 

For gaming, the HyperX is alright, but for music, well, I don't think it's up to scratch. Don't get me wrong, it should sound better than most (if not all) gaming headsets (other than those made by Audio Technica and Sennheiser). I have the DT770 250 Ohm (heard that the 80 Ohm version has slightly better bass) and it has that Beyerdynamic house sound characterized by a V-shaped sound....meaning accentuated bass and treble.....mids is not forward sound due to the emphasized bass and treble. Beyerdynamic has sparkly treble that some may consider a tad hot (or too bright). I recently snagged a used but in very good condition HD6XX (owners of more premium cans tend to take better care of their cans) and I must say, for that 200USD price, it certainly hit above its competitors in similar price range. Certainly, if you can find one in the local garage section of the tech and/or audio forums, it might prove to be the best alternative route for you given that budget range.

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 16GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Ducky Shine 4 69 Fire + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PC RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G402 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Fostex HPA4 | Philips B97/98 | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

7 hours ago, seduce_me said:

Ignore everything above. Get the HD6XX, it's the best value for $200.

Bit out of my price range new. I'll see what I can find 2nd hand. Also not sure I want open back cans.

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18092

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18093

@GamerDude I generally play games muted and I very rarely play games anyway. Music is the primary use. I have been looking at the 2nd hand market for a while and theres not alot of high end headphones up for sale in my country, most of its beats, my brother has a couple of pairs and they sound like something that came of a dogs backside.

I'm not sure the beyerdynamic has the sound signature I am after. I only added it to the list as it has a good soundstage for a closed back headphone. Do the 80ohm and 250ohm DT770 Pro have different signatures? I originally veered on the side of the 80ohm as it will be easier to use off my phone and laptop, but I am open to either.

I'm currently thinking either the SRH440 or ATH-M40x, as they are a bit more budget friendly and most of the reviews I have found indicate they have the frequency response I am after. I have found multiple comparisons of both to the M50(x) and the comments for both are very similar, but I have not yet been able to find a decent comparison between the two.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s