500mbps: Ethernet cable VS Wireless 5GHz

Karl Sven
Go to solution Solved by Karl Sven,
2 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

I've used bought a there's a massive difference

10 hours ago, krishna1997 said:

there won't be noticable difference both wired and wirelss will be same  

On 2017-10-26 at 12:42 AM, Tsuki said:

thats actually the exact one that im using :)

and i just have the antenna stuck to the front of my case.

On 2017-10-25 at 9:11 AM, jakemaster1390 said:

In that case as long as you have an AC wifi card with an AC access point with a short wired connection to the modem that has external antennas (then you can set up a better coverage area by being able to manioulate them) then go ahead and get the fibre connection as ac will be able to take better advantage of the speed coming an as long as you are not hitting a latency above good rule of thumb of 50 ms then you should be fine for gaming. also with having good line of sight you should not experience an issue.

Oh and if nails are a no no for getting an ethernet cord over doorways then maybe consider hanging the cable with those command hooks at least rated for 2 pounds. I use them all the time and have never had them damage the paint on the walls but have bought too light of adhesive ones and had them fall off.

On 2017-10-25 at 8:25 AM, ArduinoBen said:

I'd pick the first one.

On 2017-10-25 at 7:19 AM, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

With wifi you will get higher ping witch is bad in games but if that isn't your primary concern then

On 2017-10-25 at 7:19 AM, Tsuki said:

i play on wifi (802.11 ac 5GHz) , with a floor between me and the router.

i honestly dont have any issues that i wouldnt have already had on a wired connection.

the biggest difference is going to be a slight increase in latency, unless you're streaming.

even torrenting i didnt notice a major decrease.

as long as you have a stable connection, its not a big deal

On 2017-10-25 at 7:15 AM, SquintyG33Rs said:

wifi is always less reliable. if you're doing multiplayer gaming it's going to be annoying, and there's no avoiding it. watching videos and live-streams or downloads won't show much of a difference between the two though.

Hi there you all! :D 

Thanks a lot to everyone for take the time reading and answering ^^.

In the end I got the Asus PCE-AC68 and guess what.... WORKS GREAT.

I pay for 500mbps connection and I'm receiving 99% of the connection wireless :)

500mbps.png

Hi there! :)

Well the thing is like this:

I have moved to a new flat and have 2 types of internet access points (with 2 respective companies).

- Connection n.1: Comes with fiber from the wall to the router but the router will be in a place that no cable can be settled to any device. So I will be using wireless connection (802.11ac for the 500mbps connection) to the computer and rest of peripherals.

- Connection n.2: Comes with a coaxial cable from the wall to the router. But here I can actually send a cable from the router to the computer.

I guess you already see the dichotomy.

I have preferences for connection "Number 1" as long as is cheaper, the router is already in home and comes through fiber. With the only inconvenience that need to reach the PC via WiFi.

Notice that this connection will have no walls between the actual router and the computer.

So with the data provided feel free to give any tips or thoughts or what would you do in my position. But take in count that my main concern is: Is gonna be the WiFi much worse than an ethernet cable (taking in count I will have 500mbps connection) to consider a more expensive connection n.2 just because of that?

Thanks beforehand :) 

P.S: I'm Spanish, so forgive my grammar cause I guess is a mess x'D

wifi is always less reliable. if you're doing multiplayer gaming it's going to be annoying, and there's no avoiding it. watching videos and live-streams or downloads won't show much of a difference between the two though.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

i honestly dont have any issues that i wouldnt have already had on a wired connection.

the biggest difference is going to be a slight increase in latency, unless you're streaming.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Mmmm for all the people posting about the latency... That's the theoretical info I also have.

But see here. Right now I'm without internet in home using my phone with 4G connected via USB to my computer.

I've been gaming with this connection for the last week and in comparison with my last wired connection I think I have 3 to 5 ms more (which I can't feel btw). And I assume the WiFi 500mbps will be better than this I'm using right now .... So that's the point. I know maybe I'm gonna be having a little bit higher latency but... It's gonna be 30ms more? xD Cause that would be a difference. But for 5ms up or down I won't even bother (if its even 5ms difference)

one consideration to make. when looking at the modem with the fibre connection there alrealy do you see one box or two. if the modem has a connection coming from the wan port on the modem leading into another box that has the fibre connection then in  that case you could just pick up a long cat 6 ethernet cord and move the modem to a location where it would be more accessable. if it is just  one box with the fibre connection directly to it then maybe you culd run one ethernet cable with a gigabit switch to a more central location where you could hook up your devices. I do know that cat 6 cables can at least run 100 ft before running into signal degradation issues. I currently do have an internet connection with coax cable and there will be times where static buildup will cause consistant speed and connectivity issues until i unplug the cable, ground it and then plug it back in. I honestly would still go for the fibre connection

Oh hell do not be afraid that an ethernet cable will not reach as 100ft cables woudl be overkill in most situations. most runs that Ii wired in myself are about 25 ft length p2p jsut do your best to conceal the wire or at very least not a trip hazard.

Edited by jakemaster1390
adding information

Technology is both a gift and a curse. do not let the old ways die as you never know when they may be the only way to perform a taks.

10 minutes ago, jakemaster1390 said:

one consideration to make. when looking at the modem with the fibre connection there alrealy do you see one box or two. if the modem has a connection coming from the wan port on the modem leading into another box that has the fibre connection then in  that case you could just pick up a long cat 6 ethernet cord and move the modem to a location where it would be more accessable. if it is just  one box with the fibre connection directly to it then maybe you culd run one ethernet cable with a gigabit switch to a more central location where you could hook up your devices. I do know that cat 6 cables can at least run 100 ft before running into signal degradation issues. I currently do have an internet connection with coax cable and there will be times where static buildup will cause consistant speed and connectivity issues until i unplug the cable, ground it and then plug it back in. I honestly would still go for the fibre connection

Oh hell do not be afraid that an ethernet cable will not reach as 100ft cables woudl be overkill in most situations. most runs that Ii wired in myself are about 25 ft length p2p jsut do your best to conceal the wire or at very least not a trip hazard.

Thanks for take the time for such long description :)

I didn't specified why I couldn't connect the cable in the main post just to avoid fitting more info in an already tricky question. But the problem is not about distance between the router and the computer. Is actually pretty close anyway both of the options.

The problem is that the router is in the hall, meanwhile the computer is in the living room. So I would need to cross doors. Which means silicone or nails though the wall. And that's a "NO NO" for the landlord :) 

That's why a cable cannot be considered in the first option. Though with time maybe I can talk thing with him. But by now the thing are like this and I wanted you to work with the data provided.

Anyway thanks for the thought :) 

In that case as long as you have an AC wifi card with an AC access point with a short wired connection to the modem that has external antennas (then you can set up a better coverage area by being able to manioulate them) then go ahead and get the fibre connection as ac will be able to take better advantage of the speed coming an as long as you are not hitting a latency above good rule of thumb of 50 ms then you should be fine for gaming. also with having good line of sight you should not experience an issue.

Oh and if nails are a no no for getting an ethernet cord over doorways then maybe consider hanging the cable with those command hooks at least rated for 2 pounds. I use them all the time and have never had them damage the paint on the walls but have bought too light of adhesive ones and had them fall off.

Technology is both a gift and a curse. do not let the old ways die as you never know when they may be the only way to perform a taks.

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

Hi and thanks for take time answering :) 

Which receptor do you have? I'm thinking on buying the Asus PCE-AC68 

https://www.inet.se/produkt/5404561/asus-pce-ac68-ac1900?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prisjakt

I don't know if a simple dongle would do it... So I just think those antennas would be nice? Don't know cause this is actually a little bit pricy :) Just throw everything you know, have or want :D thanks beforehand. 

14 hours ago, Karl Sven said:

Hi and thanks for take time answering :) 

Which receptor do you have? I'm thinking on buying the Asus PCE-AC68 

https://www.inet.se/produkt/5404561/asus-pce-ac68-ac1900?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prisjakt

I don't know if a simple dongle would do it... So I just think those antennas would be nice? Don't know cause this is actually a little bit pricy :) Just throw everything you know, have or want :D thanks beforehand. 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 hours ago, krishna1997 said:

Hi there you all! :D 

I pay for 500mbps connection and I'm receiving 99% of the connection wireless :)

500mbps.png

2 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

10 hours ago, krishna1997 said:

On 2017-10-26 at 12:42 AM, Tsuki said:

On 2017-10-25 at 9:11 AM, jakemaster1390 said:

On 2017-10-25 at 8:25 AM, ArduinoBen said:

I'd pick the first one.

On 2017-10-25 at 7:19 AM, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

With wifi you will get higher ping witch is bad in games but if that isn't your primary concern then

On 2017-10-25 at 7:19 AM, Tsuki said:

On 2017-10-25 at 7:15 AM, SquintyG33Rs said:

Hi there you all! :D 

I pay for 500mbps connection and I'm receiving 99% of the connection wireless :)

500mbps.png