intel k series

I accidentally bought an 7700k without knowing the difference between the non k and k series. now knowing that the k series is overclockable i am unsure if i should overclock or not. Or if its even worth it and if it is worth it how would i do it?

4 minutes ago, Pink_Snowman said:

I accidentally bought an 7700k without knowing the difference between the non k and k series. now knowing that the k series is overclockable i am unsure if i should overclock or not. Or if its even worth it and if it is worth it how would i do it?

Does your motherboard support overclocking?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Does your motherboard support overclocking?

im not sure. i have a gigabyte z270x-ud3 motherboard

you should Oc it's free performance

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you should Oc it's free performance

how does one go about overclocking? the internet keeps saying contradictory things. is there a specific tool or anything

do you have an aftermarket cooler?

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

7700 (K) is an unlocked CPU which means its overclockable and a 7700 (non-K) is a locked CPU which means its non-overclockable. The Z270 chipset is completely unlocked and overclocking ready. Wel, with an adequate cooling solution and the right voltage being applied, its definitely worth overclocking because basically, your getting unlimited free performance out of your processor.

2 minutes ago, Pink_Snowman said:

how does one go about overclocking? the internet keeps saying contradictory things. is there a specific tool or anything

there are tools in OS you can use but you really shouldn't. press DEL on boot to enter the bios and change settings from there. guides are readilly available. somebody that knows a good one can link that maybe?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

do you have an aftermarket cooler?

i have an enermax ets-n31. the cpu didnt come with one

1 hour ago, Pink_Snowman said:

looks like a rip off 212 evo so it should be fine.

its easy to OC do it using the bios, you can google how or if you really need to I can walk you through the steps. 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

7700 (K) is an unlocked CPU which means its overclockable and a 7700 (non-K) is a locked CPU which means its non-overclockable. The Z270 chipset is completely unlocked and overclocking ready. Wel, with an adequate cooling solution and the right voltage being applied, its definitely worth overclocking because basically, your getting unlimited free performance out of your processor.

Not unlimited, but certainly a decent performance bump ;)

Here's a quick guide to overclocking. Settings will be similar in your bios. It's pretty simple if you follow the directions. 

thank you all so much. thanks to all your input i will overclock and if i run into any problems im coming right back here for more great help.

9 minutes ago, Pink_Snowman said:

You can spam the delete key on boot, then you will entre the BIOS where you can modify/change the voltage and clockspeed as well as other functionalities with the CPU. As for a tool within the OS, you can use the intel extreme tuning utility software or (XTU) which is a free downloadable software that allows overclocking and other functionalities within the software to stress the system, you can also monitor other things such as temps. You can download the latest (XTU); intel extreme tuning utility software; Here.

4 minutes ago, TSL said:

Not unlimited, but certainly a decent performance bump ;)

Yes, its certianly not unlimited performance, its just free performance with the ability to overclock and gain more performance out of the CPU.

5 minutes ago, Pink_Snowman said:

I don't think you'll be getting much of an overclock with that cooler. If you want to seriously overclock, you'll probably be needing something a little bit better. You'll likely get maybe + 100Mhz, but I wouldn't count on it handling extra voltage that is necessary for good overclocks. I suggest you do a lot of looking into it: I recommend watching youtube vids on overclocking skylake or kabylake (they're the same thing btw). Good place to start is Linus Tech Tips (obviously) but additionally, Paul's Hardware has a good tutorial and a million other places as well. Have fun learning! Also make sure you are aware of your coolers limits. If you want to go further, better air coolers or AIO's are necessary. :D

Just now, TSL said:

Here's a start:

Enjoy!

thank you. this is all going to be very useful

Just now, Pink_Snowman said:

thank you. this is all going to be very useful

No worries :D

Is it worth to overclock? Depends on what you are doing.

If you only watch movies and browse web, there is no point to overclock it.

But if you are into gaming/streaming/video editing, it's worth it.

Then again i7 7700k can't be OCed much because of thermal problems.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, TSL said:

I don't think you'll be getting much of an overclock with that cooler. If you want to seriously overclock, you'll probably be needing something a little bit better. You'll likely get maybe + 100Mhz, but I wouldn't count on it handling extra voltage that is necessary for good overclocks. I suggest you do a lot of looking into it: I recommend watching youtube vids on overclocking skylake or kabylake (they're the same thing btw). Good place to start is Linus Tech Tips (obviously) but additionally, Paul's Hardware has a good tutorial and a million other places as well. Have fun learning! Also make sure you are aware of your coolers limits. If you want to go further, better air coolers or AIO's are necessary. :D

I’ve gotten 4.7ghz on a 212 evo, AIO is not necessary at all 

the big noctua dual fan fan dual fin cooler will be as good as a $100 AIO

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

I’ve gotten 4.7ghz on a 212 evo, AIO is not necessary at all 

Tell that to those people paying hundreds of dollars for a delid to squeeze out extra 0,1ghz ~ 0,2ghz... even worse buying an i7 8700k for 800 pounds because it is 5.3ghz binned when normal samples are doing 4.9ghz~5ghz just fine.

Facepalm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)