Extracting Chrome on Fedora

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
4 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

I fixed it, but thank you! I was just downloading from the web not from the actual store... lol

Mark the thread as solved then ;)

I haven't been able to successfully extract and activate Chrome on my Fedora HDD. I can easily extract Tor but Chromes files are not recognized by Fedora. Any help here? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, heimdali said:

What do you mean by "extract"?

I mean opening the files, and using the program file itself. Programs don't just show up by themselves. The files are radically different 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

If you have an rpm for it that doesn´t come within the distribution, you can install it with rpm -i <packagename.rpm>.  Doing so may or may not be a good idea.

Besides, I tried chrome once and found it couldn´t do anything but basic web browsing, so I deleted it.

2 minutes ago, heimdali said:

If you have an rpm for it that doesn´t come within the distribution, you can install it with rpm -i <packagename.rpm>.

I'll look into this, I don't have access to system right now. Firefox and tor do not support the type of files online I am trying to view

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

11 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

I'll look into this, I don't have access to system right now. Firefox and tor do not support the type of files online I am trying to view

chromium?

rip

On 24/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, BadluckBrian said:

Linux distributions don't work like windows, you don't get an executable in a zip or whatever, you get a package that can be installed with the package manager as detailed by @heimdali.

Also, instead of manually downloading the package, you can open a terminal and use the package manager to look for and automatically download and install the program you want.

sudo yum install chromium

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Linux distributions don't work like windows, you don't get an executable in a zip or whatever, you get a package that can be installed with the package manager as detailed by @heimdali.

Also, instead of manually downloading the package, you can open a terminal and use the package manager to look for and automatically download and install the program you want.

sudo yum install chromium

I fixed it, but thank you! I was just downloading from the web not from the actual store... lol

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Mark the thread as solved then ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, BadluckBrian said:

Store?

It is usually a good idea to use the package that comes with the distribution; if there isn´t one, get the source and compile yourself, with few exceptions.

When you have an arbitrary rpm, it doesn´t mean it´s compatible with the distribution you´re using.  That´s one of the disadvantages of rpm.