High Temps in Gigabyte R9 390 while mining

I have a Gigabyte Gaming G1 R9 390 and it's over a year. Since I wanted to mine with it, I repasted with Arctic silver 5. The temps never go above 84c in gaming on max settings in battlefront 2015 or battlefield 1 on 1080p settings. however, while mining with nicehashminer, on daggerdecred it gets 28-29 MH hashrates but the concern is the temperature . it reaches 94c. With latest AMD drivers and clean windows 10, using msi afterburner, i reduced the power by 10% and it goes to 26 MH hashrates at 84c. reaching 94c on default settings is safe ? My case has very good airflow with 6 cooler master jetflos and xtraflos. with my rx 480 8gb, it gets upto 71c max. why would the 390 hit 94c ? do i need to change thermal pads ? or should I stick to -10% power @84c ? help me. Room temp is 32 degree celcius. Need expert opinions Please. TIA

Eyy another Arctic Silver 5 user!

The GPU itself can probably handle 94c before overheating or thermal throttling. I'm also pretty sure mining is more work for the GPU than gaming so that would explain higher temperatures.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Try undervolting the card, free and effective way to reduce GPU temperature but it depend on the chip.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

33 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The GPU itself can probably handle 94c before overheating or thermal throttling. I'm also pretty sure mining is more work for the GPU than gaming so that would explain higher temperatures.

Are we Arctic Silver 5 users rare? I know there are better solutions but I still use it since that is what I have had in stock for a while.

Just now, tjcater said:

Are we Arctic Silver 5 users rare? I know there are better solutions but I still use it since that is what I have had in stock for a while.

I'm not sure if it's an uncommon thing to use Arctic Silver 5, I just like to greet people who use the same stuff I do :D

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes, but it never reached more than 87c before applying Arctic Silver 5 :P (when mining) and i've done pasting fresh from the start and always the temp sticks to 84c then after 2 days, boom ! NUCLEAR WARFARE xD

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

The 390 was a very hot card in the first place. Those temperatures almost should be expected.

Yes but the Sapphire ones dont get hot like this one while mining. :/ 

Shall i go to custom GPU cooling or I need new thermalpads ? mine seems pretty dirty with dust and weary :P or did i get scammed for a fake arctic silver 5 ? 

6 minutes ago, ZARIFF said:

Yes but the Sapphire ones dont get hot like this one while mining. :/ 

Which Gigabyte model specifically? I remember there being a few. Are the fans running properly? Is the heatsink clean? When was the last time you changed thermal paste? Did you make sure to mount the heatsink again properly?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Which Gigabyte model specifically? I remember there being a few. Are the fans running properly? Is the heatsink clean? When was the last time you changed thermal paste? Did you make sure to mount the heatsink again properly?

Gigabyte R9 390 Gaming G1, the fancy looking one, 8 gigs of VRAM. Yes, fan is monitored by MSI Afterburner and it's running on 100% when it reaches high temperature. The heatsink is clean, cleaned it myself and it is mounted properly, I've checked. Applied paste 4 days ago, temps started reaching 94c from yesterday. Room temp is 27c.

52 minutes ago, ZARIFF said:

Gigabyte R9 390 Gaming G1, the fancy looking one, 8 gigs of VRAM. Yes, fan is monitored by MSI Afterburner and it's running on 100% when it reaches high temperature. The heatsink is clean, cleaned it myself and it is mounted properly, I've checked. Applied paste 4 days ago, temps started reaching 94c from yesterday. Room temp is 27c.

Check the heatpipes for damage, and remount the heatsink.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

26 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Check the heatpipes for damage, and remount the heatsink.

Ok sir ! 

Checked heatpipe, working fine. do i need to repaste after remounting the heatsink ? Will my Gaming G1 Rx 480 fit on the R9 390 ? Should I give it a try ? :P

48 minutes ago, ZARIFF said:

Ok sir ! 

Checked heatpipe, working fine. do i need to repaste after remounting the heatsink ? Will my Gaming G1 Rx 480 fit on the R9 390 ? Should I give it a try ? :P

In order of questions asked:
Yes, in this case.
No
No

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

11 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

In order of questions asked:
Yes, in this case.
No
No

What should I do, MASTER ? 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, TheRandomness said:

Well, remount the heatsink with fresh thermal paste. 

Aye aye ! Captain !

but in vain, I feel hopeless and lost.

Please suggest me a good aftermarket cooler for the gigabyte r9 390 gpu gaming g1

2 minutes ago, ZARIFF said:

Aye aye ! Captain !

but in vain, I feel hopeless and lost.

Please suggest me a good aftermarket cooler for the gigabyte r9 390 gpu gaming g1

Well, really, any decent aftermarket cooler will work. From Artic or Raijintek or something, those will be fine so long as you check compatibility first.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, really, any decent aftermarket cooler will work. From Artic or Raijintek or something, those will be fine so long as you check compatibility first.

Thanks, will NZXT Kraken G12 vbe a good one ? And it says that 390 needs a copper shim which is not included. What is a copper shim ?

Just now, ZARIFF said:

Thanks, will NZXT Kraken G12 vbe a good one ? And it says that 390 needs a copper shim which is not included. What is a copper shim ?

A copper shim is a small piece of copper that acts as a layer between the GPU and the cooler. Also, the Kraken G12 requires purchase of a water cooler.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats