Wpa 2 wifi patch windows 10

Yongtjunkit

hi, as we all may know that wpa 2 had been successfully cracked/hacked and I was wondering if windows 10 fall creators update is enough to patch the wpa2 attack?  or do I need a driver update to patch against this attack? 

@GoodBytes do verify if this is the correct section since this post can be either in networking or in windows sub forum(move this post if needed to it proper place)  

The patch has been supplied as separate update from Fall Creators Update. Security updates, if I am not mistaken, are installed regardless of your other updates, unless there are some dependencies. No driver update is needed, as it involves networking on OS level, not driver/hardware level.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

9 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

The patch has been supplied as separate update from Fall Creators Update. Security updates, if I am not mistaken, are installed regardless of your other updates, unless there are some dependencies. No driver update is needed.

since windows update shows up to date, so i'm guessing i'm even though manufacturer(wifi adapter) didn't release the update at the moment i'm safe?

40 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

hi, as we all may know that wpa 2 had been successfully cracked/hacked and I was wondering if windows 10 fall creators update is enough to patch the wpa2 attack?  or do I need a driver update to patch against this attack? 

--gone--

Not it isn't enough because the issue will be on every device that uses WPA2. You will need to get firmware updates for all your devices that uses WPA2. DDWRT has already patched it, so too has other third party firmware devs. You will also need a sniper rifle because the KRACK hack can only be done within your WIFI range. Why the sniper rifle?.... the scope will help you see if they are using CMD and any other tools to run KRACK and other malware then you use the bullet in the rifle to shoot the PC the hacker is using. I suspect a garden hose will help destroy the device too.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Not it isn't enough because the issue will be on every device that uses WPA2. You will need to get firmware updates for all your devices that uses WPA2. DDWRT has already patched it, so too has other third party firmware devs. You will also need a sniper rifle because the KRACK hack can only be done within your WIFI range. Why the sniper rifle?.... the scope will help you see if they are using CMD and any other tools to run KRACK and other malware then you use the bullet in the rifle to shoot the PC the hacker is using. I suspect a garden hose will help destroy the device too.

I can't get firmware update(software update ) for every device that uses wifi unfortunately... I'm using asus rtac68u as the router which didn't get any patch yet, my iphone 5 is stuck on ios 10.3.3(unless apple is kind enough to release ios 10.3.4 for iphone 5) currently the pc in my home is running windows 10 fall creators update, tplink released a statement saying which device are affected but my power line adapter is not affected by the wpa 2 flaw according to the tp link website. dlink didn't specify which device are affected by this flaw at all.   

14 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

I can't get firmware update(software update ) for every device that uses wifi unfortunately... I'm using asus rtac68u as the router which didn't get any patch yet, my iphone 5 is stuck on ios 10.3.3(unless apple is kind enough to release ios 10.3.4 for iphone 5) currently the pc in my home is running windows 10 fall creators update, tplink released a statement saying which device are affected but my power line adapter is not affected by the wpa 2 flaw according to the tp link website. dlink didn't specify which device are affected by this flaw at all.   

That is the problem most people wil have as they do not understand that KRACK can affect any device using WPA2 which even if you get firmware updates for most devices the one that does not have any updated firmware will be the "back door" for KRACK so even if you get an update in Win10 FCU the device itself like you iphone will be the opening KRACKS need. 

Your ASUS router does have an update for it but it is on third party firmware and if you do not know how to recover from a bad router flash you shouldn't get the third party firmware. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus

That TPlink statement are on the devices they tested and not the other ones because it isn't the device that is the vulnerability it is the firmware and any firmware that is already on a device< routers/adapters/etc. can be affected by KRACK.

53 minutes ago, Leonard said:

That is the problem most people wil have as they do not understand that KRACK can affect any device using WPA2 which even if you get firmware updates for most devices the one that does not have any updated firmware will be the "back door" for KRACK so even if you get an update in Win10 FCU the device itself like you iphone will be the opening KRACKS need. 

Your ASUS router does have an update for it but it is on third party firmware and if you do not know how to recover from a bad router flash you shouldn't get the third party firmware. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus

That TPlink statement are on the devices they tested and not the other ones because it isn't the device that is the vulnerability it is the firmware and any firmware that is already on a device< routers/adapters/etc. can be affected by KRACK.

- for the tplink part, the powerline adapter that I have has a built-in acess point 

6 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

- for the tplink part, the powerline adapter that I have has a built-in acess point 

If you have to configure it and you can enable wpa2 then it is also a vulnerability, you didn't post the model so i couldn't check it. Any company that is telling you "our device is not affected without a proper firmware update for WPA2 is lying to you and also, if you purchase any new devices you need to check the version of that device, they normally put a version of an updated device like say ver.1/ver.2.

The only good thing about KRACK is that you need to be by the network to apply it, so if you live in say an area where there is a good amount of space between you and your neighbor then you can spot a suspect easily. Oh an don't feel that changing the WIFI's SSID/Password/admin password and username because KRACK does not use that for anything but when the hacker gets access to your device he acn get all that if he is so inclined.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

DDWRT has already patched it

Have they released it yet? The latest patch for my router is 9-7-2017, so Im guessing that they havent released it for all yet? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Have they released it yet? The latest patch for my router is 9-7-2017, so Im guessing that they havent released it for all yet? 

I am using it now BS r33555, they patched it since BS r33525.

8 hours ago, Leonard said:

If you have to configure it and you can enable wpa2 then it is also a vulnerability, you didn't post the model so i couldn't check it. Any company that is telling you "our device is not affected without a proper firmware update for WPA2 is lying to you and also, if you purchase any new devices you need to check the version of that device, they normally put a version of an updated device like say ver.1/ver.2.

The only good thing about KRACK is that you need to be by the network to apply it, so if you live in say an area where there is a good amount of space between you and your neighbor then you can spot a suspect easily. Oh an don't feel that changing the WIFI's SSID/Password/admin password and username because KRACK does not use that for anything but when the hacker gets access to your device he acn get all that if he is so inclined.

The tplink powerline adapter is this model 

Wpa8630p kit

http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html

UK version v1

39 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

The tplink powerline adapter is this model 

Wpa8630p kit

http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html

UK version v1

There is bad news and worse news, the bad = it isn't listed as the supported in DDWRT wiki, the worse = TPlink has a firmware update for it but it is from Published Date: 2017-03-27 and that sure will not have any wpa2 fix for KRACK. You may have to just use that as a hard line and turn off WIFI if you are really worried about KRACK.

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

There is bad news and worse news, the bad = it isn't listed as the supported in DDWRT wiki, the worse = TPlink has a firmware update for it but it is from Published Date: 2017-03-27 and that sure will not have any wpa2 fix for KRACK. You may have to just use that as a hard line and turn off WIFI if you are really worried about KRACK.

Will using only 5ghz reduces the chance of the attack? Like less devices compactible 

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

What about creating a guest network for the iPhone 5/ devices that doesn't get updates?

5 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Will using only 5ghz reduces the chance of the attack? Like less devices compactible 

No. As long as you use WPA2 before it has a patch you can be attacked with KRACK.

4 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

What about creating a guest network for the iPhone 5/ devices that doesn't get updates?

Then the iPhone will be the device they can use to get into the network that is the nature of this hack. This will also apply to any family friends who will be using your WIFI, let's say you have all your devices patched and you are secured and someone you know comes to use your network with a device that is not patched then the hacker can use KRACK on that device and get into your network.

Everyone, and i mean everyone needs to look for patches to their devices or at the very least do not leave WIFI on all the time until it is patched or you get a new device that is patched.

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

Then the iPhone will be the device they can use to get into the network that is the nature of this hack. This will also apply to any family friends who will be using your WIFI, let's say you have all your devices patched and you are secured and someone you know comes to use your network with a device that is not patched then the hacker can use KRACK on that device and get into your network.

Everyone, and i mean everyone needs to look for patches to their devices or at the very least do not leave WIFI on all the time until it is patched or you get a new device that is patched.

So a guest network would not help? Like separating device that is patched and the device that isn't. so that there won't be a backdoor for the device that is patched?

so basically would be 

-wifi 1 would be for patched devices

-wifi 2 for unpatch devices  which would be vulnerable to this attack  

8 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

So a guest network would not help? Like separating device that is patched and the device that isn't. so that there won't be a backdoor for the device that is patched?

so basically would be 

-wifi 1 would be for patched devices

-wifi 2 for unpatch devices  which would be vulnerable to this attack  

i think you are misunderstanding how guest networks work, it piggybacks off your main network they are joined and secured by the WAP2 algorithm it is not isolated device by device as it connects to a router on your network. There is no way around or to contain this hack unless you have a patched WPA2 algorithm on all your devices.

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

i think you are misunderstanding how guest networks work, it piggybacks off your main network they are joined and secured by the WAP2 algorithm it is not isolated device by device as it connects to a router on your network. There is no way around or to contain this hack unless you have a patched WPA2 algorithm on all your devices.

Yeah, but guest Networks are isolated from the main Network. As in they would not have access to network shares. For some that might be the only way to go. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Yeah, but guest Networks are isolated from the main Network. As in they would not have access to network shares. For some that might be the only way to go. 

That is only for the devices used on the different networks that you setup but the WPA2 algorithm governs the router itself and that is what they use to get into the router at the kernel level where everything is happening. Have you ever telnet/putty/ssh into a router to see the "back end"?...that is what the hacker will get into.

3 hours ago, Leonard said:

That is only for the devices used on the different networks that you setup but the WPA2 algorithm governs the router itself and that is what they use to get into the router at the kernel level where everything is happening. Have you ever telnet/putty/ssh into a router to see the "back end"?...that is what the hacker will get into.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Let's say asus patches their router and we updated to it, would the attacker be able to do the krack attack on the normal network with patched devices? While the guest network for unpatch devices?

8 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Let's say asus patches their router and we updated to it, would the attacker be able to do the krack attack on the normal network with patched devices? While the guest network for unpatch devices?

he would be able to use the KRACK on the device/s that has not been updated then because that device is connected to your router with the updated or non-updated patch he can then ssh into the router at the kernel level and basically do what he/she wants. The patch is only as good as the devices connected to it.

I have resorted to using devices that have not been patched when i need to and after i have checked my router logs to ensure nothing has happened through that shit device.