What is Base clock and Boost clock of a cpu..???

Hello, What is a Base Clock and Boost Clock ..?? Explain in detail

1. CPU 1 got base clock of 4 ghz and no boost clock but can overclock and have 4 cores and 4 threads

2. CPU 2 got base clock of 2.8 ghz and 4.3 of boost clock but can't overclock and have 6 cores and 6 threads

I personally don't plan for overclocking but i am afraid of lower base clock of CPU 2 and does lower base clock affect your computer speed ??

i am a bit worried because i want my computer to be fast as a beast in browsing and day to day tasks i do 1-2 hrs gaming not like 4-8hrs xD

kindly explain most suitable cpu for me 1 or 2 .....Thanks..!! :)

Base clock is where the processor will run at idle or during low power tasks, it will consume less power and put out less heat as well. Boost clock is when the system says "Hey, give me everything you've got" and the processor will increase power to achieve the turbo boost or boost clock.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Base clock is where the processor will run at idle or during low power tasks, it will consume less power and put out less heat as well. Boost clock is when the system says "Hey, give me everything you've got" and the processor will increase power to achieve the turbo boost or boost clock.

so does the cpu automatically adjusts the boost clock according to the requirements??

Just now, JOHN MAHDI said:

so does the cpu automatically adjusts the boost clock according to the requirements??

Yah.

If you don't mind my asking, what processors are you looking at exactly and what games are you looking to play?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah.

If you don't mind my asking, what processors are you looking at exactly and what games are you looking to play?

i am asking for 1.i3-8350k  vs 2. i5-8400 Gta 5,overwatch,sniper elite 4,gears of war and Nfs payback  paired with gtx 1060 or 1050 ti

1 minute ago, L.Lawliet said:

That depends on which cpu u are talking about..cause u cant just compared it by the threads and cores and core clock without showing us the CPU model.

But basically Boost clock is when the system/cpu has power to spare and temperature is good enough to boost it the clock but only an individual cores that get boosted so for example if cpu has 4 cores and one of them cores say cores 3 work on something more important than the rest..that particular cores is the one that gets boosted by redirecting the power of other cores to that one particular cores..

i am talking about cpu's 1.i3-8350k

2.i5-8400

The simplest explanation:

Base clocks are guaranteed speeds under load (provided you do not reach throttle temperature)

Boost clocks are not guaranteed, due to power or thermal limitations. 

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

i am asking for 1.i3-8350k  vs 2. i5-8400 Gta 5,overwatch,sniper elite 4,gears of war and Nfs payback  paired with gtx 1060 or 1050 ti

I would go with the 8350K but it's pretty close between the two. Since your only options are Z370 boards right now it makes sense to go for the 8350K a bit more and also gives you an upgrade path to the 8700K or 8600K in the future.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

no base clock is where all cores will go to under load, the boost clock is what a select number of cores can boost to for short amounts of time

my 8350 has a base of 4ghz and a boost of 4.1.

so while at 100% it sits at 4ghz. During small bursts of load 4-6 cores will boost to 4.1.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I would go with the 8350K but it's pretty close between the two. Since your only options are Z370 boards right now it makes sense to go for the 8350K a bit more and also gives you an upgrade path to the 8700K or 8600K in the future.

i am not gonna build a pc now i would be building till Christmas and 8350k is good but i am personally not into overclocking so i5-8400 would be ok for me :)

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

no base clock is where all cores will go to under load, the boost clock is what a select number of cores can boost to for short amounts of time

does base clock affect system speed loading sites and application on Pc  ??

Either of those would be fine just grab the cheapest..

However Z370 mobo is a bit pricey for now so if u want to overclock your 8350k u'll need to buy Z370 mobo..

If  u are on a budget u could just buy Ryzen 3 1200 it has 4 cores and 4 Threads and overclockable..yes i know its inferior than 8350k but its cheaper..

btw i am not going to build pc right now !!

3 minutes ago, JOHN MAHDI said:

i am not gonna build a pc now i would be building till Christmas and 8350k is good but i am personally not into overclocking so i5-8400 would be ok for me :)

I would wait until it gets closer to that time, have a budget in mind, and ask again.

You never know what might release between now and then :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

does base clock affect system speed loading sites and application on Pc  ??

well that's the questions isn't it. Not only do you have to take into account the base and boost but also core count and IPC.

more cores at a slower speed usually means over all more performance however in some cases higher clock and IPC matter the most.

I suggest inspecting your workload and see which will benefit you more 

for loading websites I would say higher clock is more important, however applications can use multiple cores so then more cores would be better.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

thats okay!! i am just suggesting whether u will build it now or next christmas 2030 !!

xD