Laptop so SLOW And no VIRUSES

WolfLoverPro

my laptop is a hp with a r5 card and this thing should be a bit better than a cheap laptop but not a gaming its in the middle BUT MY GOD THIS THING is slow its literally now to the point i rather use windows xp shit

now my laptop has NO virus no crap ive cleaned it with cclean ive done malware scan a general virus scan it doesnt have any viruses its got alot of hdd space so someone tell me

WHY IS IT SO SLOWWWWWWWW

seriously what can i do to speed this up the only thing i havnt tried is restoring but i dont really want but if it helps this i would but i dont think it will as i have no viruses

only other thing is that its dusty inside idk?

Please look through the forum section, and post to the best section before posting in the future.

Posting to the correct forum section will give you the best help.

Moved to Troubleshooting forum section

Please provide System specs

I had one HP laptop which was extremely slow, the problem was with the hard drive, despite not having noticeable issues or bad sectors it was way worse than another one of the same model, swapping that out fixed that.

A good place to start is looking at the task manager and seeing what is being maxed out CPU, RAM or HDD and go from there

4 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

only other thing is that its dusty inside idk?

can you see dust when you look into the vent openings ?

maybe the dust has blocked ventilation and the laptop is thermal throttling ? what are your CPU temps ?

oh, and ... are you using an SSD or a HDD as your system drive?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Please look through the forum section, and post to the best section before posting in the future.

Posting to the correct forum section will give you the best help.

Moved to Troubleshooting forum section

ok sorry im just fed up with this laptop so i clicked on the first thing and posted

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

can you see dust when you look into the vent openings ?

maybe the dust has blocked ventilation and the laptop is thermal throttling ? what are your CPU temps ?

right ok so atm with only web open

image.png.0a3dfe117602df31b4568c3974d216d6.png

GPU is hot. No CPU temps?

I wonder if they cheaped out and use the same heatsink to cool off the CPU, GPU and worst Northbridge, which can result to system slow downs.

Most likely the HDD. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, GoodBytes said:

GPU is hot. No CPU temps?

I wonder if they cheaped out and use the same heatsink to cool off the CPU, GPU and worst Northbridge, which can result to system slow downs.

idk whats up with the % i mean on my desktop it shows temp of both why is it just % not any tempretures? i aint even doing anyhting so idk why thats got but most laptops dont have like any sort of gpu and this has a better one than some i aint talking about gaming laptops i mean like prebuilt cheap ones so this is literally slower than anything ive used shall i just restore it

6 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

right ok so atm with only web open

Ah, there's your problem - You're running Windows 10 on a laptop HDD that I'd guess is probably 5400rpm at first glance. After checking Hitachi's data spec sheet on this drive, I can confirm your problem is the slow HDD. 

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/TS-5K1000-ds.pdf

I have no idea why, but modern operating systems, like Windows 8.1 / 10 and newer versions of MacOS, absolutely thrash mechanical hard drives. I used to sell computers, and saw $1500 ASUS ROG gaming laptops with i7-6700HQ CPUs, 12GB RAM, and GTX 900 series graphics cards go out the door, only to return to my tech desk because they were VERY SLOW at even just logging in.

A few customers actually returned them to look at other options with SSD's, but some actually choose to upgrade them to an off the shelf Kingston SSDnowV300 drive, and BAM! Reinstall Windows on the SSD and they were instantly as fast as an i7 / 12GB "gaming laptop" should have been from day one.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Ah, there's your problem - You're running Windows 10 on a laptop HDD that I'd guess is probably 5400rpm at first glance. After checking Hitachi's data spec sheet on this drive, I can confirm your problem is the slow HDD. 

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/TS-5K1000-ds.pdf

I have no idea why, but modern operating systems, like Windows 8.1 / 10 and newer versions of MacOS, absolutely thrash mechanical hard drives. I used to sell computers, and saw $1500 ASUS ROG gaming laptops with i7-6700HQ CPUs, 12GB RAM, and GTX 900 series graphics cards go out the door, only to return to my tech desk because they were VERY SLOW at even just logging in.

A few customers actually returned them to look at other options with SSD's, but some actually choose to upgrade them to an off the shelf Kingston SSDnowV300 drive, and BAM! Reinstall Windows on the SSD and they were instantly as fast as an i7 / 12GB "gaming laptop" should have been from day one.

i dont get it tho because it come with windows 8 and it wasnt slow from the start at least i didint think so and it hasent got any viruses so idk maybe the hard drive is getting worse

3 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

i dont get it tho because it come with windows 8 and it wasnt slow from the start at least i didint think so and it hasent got any viruses so idk maybe the hard drive is getting worse

Did you ever do a clean install recently? The drive might be heavily open space fragmented (data is all in 1 block, but free space isn't), or drive has data all scattered all over the place and not group together, making the head move all over the place in the drive, despite 0 fragmentation.

But the biggest performance boost you can give yourself is a decent SSD. Nothing fancy needed.

4 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

You're right - when Windows 8 first launched, it didn't seem to have this problem from what I saw when I worked on Windows 7 / 8 computers back in late 2012. However, somewhere along the line they've updated the way Windows optimizes things behind the scenes, and now a combination of updates and OS optimization cause cause 100% disk usage.

Next time you notice it being slow, open up Task Manager and check / take a screenshot if your disk usage is sitting at 100% use for a long period of time. If it is, that's a telltale sign that your machine would benefit from an SSD upgrade. And as @GoodBytes mentioned, if you upgraded from Windows 8 and haven't done a clean reinstall of Windows 10 since then, I'd highly recommend giving that a try as well, since most upgraded Windows 8 to 10 installs I've ever worked on were broken beyond belief under the hood.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Did you ever do a clean install recently? The drive might be heavily open space fragmented (data is all in 1 block, but free space isn't), or drive has data all scattered all over the place and not group together, making the head move all over the place in the drive, despite 0 fragmentation.

But the biggest performance boost you can give yourself is a decent SSD. Nothing fancy needed.

do i do clean installs like restoring it > no never beacuse i never want to lose my stuff lol ive had it for a good omg like what probally over 5 to 8 years  i literally cant remeber but i though as long as it dont get viruses it should be fine or is it better to restore them

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You're right - when Windows 8 first launched, it didn't seem to have this problem from what I saw when I worked on Windows 7 / 8 computers back in late 2012. However, somewhere along the line they've updated the way Windows optimizes things behind the scenes, and now a combination of updates and OS optimization cause cause 100% disk usage.

Next time you notice it being slow, open up Task Manager and check / take a screenshot if your disk usage is sitting at 100% use for a long period of time. If it is, that's a telltale sign that your machine would benefit from an SSD upgrade.

wait wtf u saying about that where it sits at 100 ALL MY PCS DO THAT since i got windows 10 wtf? they all are really slow and sit at 100 however my desktop is way faster so its not noticeable as much but still its bloody slow for what it is so this is why

37 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I can confirm what you said. i made similar discoveries. the most recent example: one of my friends has a gaming laptop wich isn't the newest but by no means "obsolete"

after all it has a decent hyperthreaded quadcore CPU and came with 8gb of ram, but despite that it was a pain to use because all it had was a 5400rpm WD blue HDD. 

we threw in a mSATA SSD, moved windows over to it and BAM, the thing behaved totally different all of a sudden. like it was a whole new laptop

39 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

do i do clean installs like restoring it > no never beacuse i never want to lose my stuff lol ive had it for a good omg like what probally over 5 to 8 years  i literally cant remeber but i though as long as it dont get viruses it should be fine or is it better to restore them

So then it sounds like you have data scattered all over the place on the drive. It might be 0% fragmented, but the data is spread out., making the head of the HDD need to travel all over the place, Head travel in an HDD is what kills performance MASSIVELY. In an Idea world, the head doesn't move, beside slowly coming in and out of the disk platter. But that is impossible, unless you selectively position data to reflect what you are doing in order, and that doesn't involves any writes of any kind, including Temp dir.

Interesting fact, I am not sure if it is done today, but back in the old days, game disk on console had their data selectively position to have all groups of data next to another and avoid the laser move all over the place, too much. Minimizing travel, accelerating loading times.

Sadly you can't do this on PC with an HDD. You need to format, actual format, and clean install. Install all your stuff, and now transfer all your data from your backups.

So then it sounds like you have data scattered all over the place on the drive. It might be 0% fragmented, but the data is spread out., making the head of the HDD need to travel all over the place, Head travel in an HDD is what kills performance MASSIVELY. In an Idea world, the head doesn't move, beside slowly coming in and out of the disk platter. But that is impossible, unless you selectively position data to reflect what you are doing in order, and that doesn't involves any writes of any kind, including Temp dir.

Interesting fact, I am not sure if it is done today, but back in the old days, game disk on console had their data selectively position to have all groups of data next to another and avoid the laser move all over the place, too much. Minimizing travel, accelerating loading times.

Sadly you can't do this on PC with an HDD. You need to format, actual format, and clean install. Install all your stuff, and now transfer all your data from your backups.

so if i do a restore by the windows 10 option where i click clean install of windows or whatever the format option it may speed my pc up?

1 minute ago, WolfLoverPro said:

so if i do a restore by the windows 10 option where i click clean install of windows or whatever the format option it may speed my pc up?

First backup all your stuff out of the system.

Then yes, do as you described, but you also need to pick the drive, and select the format option. Ideally, you want to first boot from a partition manager like GParted and do a full format, to maximize performance by having all bits to 0 on the HDD, and not a quick format which doesn't do this, but rather deletes drive journal indicating where data is. But I don't think you are seeking every single bit of performance out of your 5400RPM slow HDD, but rather a better general experience.

Once done, format is done, click Next, and it should start the setup process.

1 hour ago, WolfLoverPro said:

wait wtf u saying about that where it sits at 100 ALL MY PCS DO THAT since i got windows 10 wtf? they all are really slow and sit at 100 however my desktop is way faster so its not noticeable as much but still its bloody slow for what it is so this is why

Desktop PC's use 7200rpm HDDs so they're usually OK sitting at 100% disk use. It's true that a lot of Windows 8.1 / 10 PCs sit at 100% disk use when they're running background updates, but even so this can vary from computer to computer, and some machines are still usable at 100% disk use. I just know that it definitely affects laptops with 5400rpm drives a lot more.

You're in GoodHands™ with @GoodBytes instructions on doing a full format and reinstall of Windows.