High End Audio and Video

Hey LTT forum people! 

I'm new to this forum site, but not to LTT! Love their videos and other content they provide! 

I noticed there wasn't a thread for High End AV equipment and news either residential or commercial. I am a Iowa based Audio Visual Installation Technician for a High End Commercial AV company. We install a ton of automated av systems. Live sound setups. Video Conferencing, etc. There is a huge market for this stuff and it has a lot of cutting edge technology along with it! I would love for fellow AV techs or even enthusiasts to come together and talk about upcoming tech, news and rumors! Especially products like Crestron, AMX, Polycom, Biamp, Clearone, Control 4, JBL, Crown, QSC, etc. This stuff is usually doing things first before you see it on the residential products. I wouldn't mind seeing LTT start making content on this stuff! A lot people don't know what it takes to make a completely automated AV system and how cool they can be also! I think if average consumers saw this side of AV it would be popular, just my opinion!

Feel free to post questions with AV issues to this post as well. It would be nice to have a group to ask questions about any issues we come across in the field.

Here is a couple installs that I have done!

CEVYKglUEAAmRQw.jpg-large

CIJIAlCUkAEZ-9x.jpg-large

CITCwXUUsAAG8-4.jpg-large

Just one example of how they could make a video with this technology! 

When they were doing there office move/upgrade vlogs. They had built a nice size conference room with projector and a screen. They put the projector on the TABLE!!! They could've of done a video on how to have a high end conference room with touch panels to automate the system with the lights and shades and throw in video conferencing capabilities also. I'm sure Crestron and other companies would of been happy to throw them some stuff to get featured! I know Linus and the other employees would love a conference room that had this tech in it! Come in and hit Start on a wall mounted 10" Crestron Touch panel and it all turns on! I think it could at least make a few good videos out this stuff. 

This falls under things that are far out of scope as normal projects. Maybe if some company would sponsor them. Like discussed recently in here:

And seen from their WAN Show Audio update videos... They need outside expert to even get grasp of the subject. So unless its sponsored or they really have professional need for it, not likely to happen. I mean, how would you like when someone who hasn't got a clue how those systems work are assembled tries to do it? It wouldn't give you anything new, more like headache from constant facepalming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As a fellow A/V Technician, I would love to see some of this tech, but these are really far out of the scope for what LTT is known for. 

Plus I'm not sure a commercial AV company would sponsor LTT since they are in a different market than what companies like Creston or Polycom are looking for.

As others have said, this sort of equipment may be outside the scope of what the morons at LTT does.  However I am interested and wonders how I (a freelance DoP) can use it for my work.  Myself and the production houses I associate with are sometimes hired to film and live broadcast events (e.g. conferences).  Do you think any of the equipment that are used for your work can be useful to us in my line of work?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Well most of what we install is designed to be permanently integrated into a room for various needs. Mostly video and audio conferencing, training rooms, digital signage, etc.

However I have put together some portable racks for live stuff before like what you are talking (i think). Some of the products we use have stuff for live broadcast and I have done full digital upgrades to older broadcasting studios. Which is almost a whole other ball park than the other AV work we normally do! What kind of capabilities or tech are you looking to have? I can definitely assist in showing products that I'm familiar with, that could help! 

Also, I figured most of this stuff was outside the realm of LTT I just thought they could do a one off episode that was possibly sponsored by some of the companys we work with that would just inform and show other people this side of the AV world. I know they couldn't do this as a normal thing. Plus it wouldn't really appeal to most of the audience for a regular featured products, 

This was mainly to get a forum thread going for commercial high end audio and video guys that use this stuff all the time to have a place here on LTT forums to talk and ask questions. If that interests anybody, I hope they follow this thread!

5 hours ago, phil.kinnison said:

Let's say myself or the production houses/film crew companies I work with are hired to film and broadcast events such as live concerts, big conferences (e.g. United Nations conferences with audio being interpreted into multiple languages or stuff like TED Talks), or boxing matches where we may have remotely operated cameras mounted above the ring... what kind of gear or tech do you have or know about that can be useful for us?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins