Is a 1080 worth it with my CPU?

Villain
1 minute ago, AdDicti said:

Not every chip will run those clocks. I gotta pump 1.35v+ on mine to get stable 4.5, but 4.4 will run stable at 1.2v ;)

hmm my vcore is 1.5 according to corsair link for 4.5, maybe ill tone her down

9 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

get a 1080ti :P and a really good aio and oc the living hell out of  the 3570k, 4.5ghz should be a piece of cake

Unfortunately my 3570k is a complete wimp, most I can get out of it stable is 4.2. The 1080ti is insanely nice but I'm worried about spending all my budget on that with such an older CPU. It seems like games are really starting to utilize more than just 4 cores now so I kind of want to prepare for the future and join the 6 core club. 

5 minutes ago, Villain said:

Unfortunately my 3570k is a complete wimp, most I can get out of it stable is 4.2. The 1080ti is insanely nice but I'm worried about spending all my budget on that with such an older CPU. It seems like games are really starting to utilize more than just 4 cores now so I kind of want to prepare for the future and join the 6 core club. 

Its not necessarily about games using more than 4 cores but the 3570K is sadly just falling behind on IPC compared to the current and even last gen CPUs. If I was certain I would upgrade my CPU, RAM and Mobo within the next year I would buy a GTX 1080 (or ti). The 1080 is gonna be a massive upgrade compared to your current GPU anyways, but you should be prepared for some CPU bottlenecking. Not all bottlenecking is terrible though, might lose some FPS in some games, but prolly still gonna be near or over  the 100fps mark in most.

1 hour ago, AdDicti said:

Its not necessarily about games using more than 4 cores but the 3570K is sadly just falling behind on IPC compared to the current and even last gen CPUs. If I was certain I would upgrade my CPU, RAM and Mobo within the next year I would buy a GTX 1080 (or ti). The 1080 is gonna be a massive upgrade compared to your current GPU anyways, but you should be prepared for some CPU bottlenecking. Not all bottlenecking is terrible though, might lose some FPS in some games, but prolly still gonna be near or over  the 100fps mark in most.

With 100% more threads, 50% of the instrctions will be handed off to the extra threads resulting in faster computing in well optimized programs and games. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

2 hours ago, Villain said:

Current Specs:

GTX 780

i5-3570k @ 4Ghz

8GB DDR3

I play games with a 144hz 1080p monitor which makes me worried that the bottlenecking will be severe enough with my current CPU. I will of course upgrade the CPU in the future but I'm wondering if the performance upgrade would still be good enough with my current CPU or if it will end up preventing me from getting much higher frame-rates than my current setup allows. 

That's literally my setup until I get my 8700k. I didn't have a great experience. Some games were rendered unplayable because of the stutter so I put my 780ti back in. I think a 1070 would be better suited for the 3570k.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

19 hours ago, asand1 said:

With 100% more threads, 50% of the instrctions will be handed off to the extra threads resulting in faster computing in well optimized programs and games. 

In a perfect world yes, but gaming benchmarks have shown that the difference between an i5 and an i7 is marginal at best when all else is equal. My point was that a similarly clocked 4-core Coffee Lake or even Kaby Lake would perform quite a bit better than the old Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I can't believe you only have 8gb memory, i run 24gb of ddr3 with my i5-2500k, that said I'm going to disagree with everyone about upgrading your cpu.  Dimitri over at Hardwarecanuks just put out this video which was exactly what I've been wondering for a while now. I have been thinking about upgrading from my 2500k  but since I only game I don't think I'm going to for the time being, and might just grab a new graphics card myself.  My only real complaint with my system is that I have to restart firefox every couple days because of too many tabs open.

P.S. probably broke the rules

13 hours ago, AdDicti said:

In a perfect world yes, but gaming benchmarks have shown that the difference between an i5 and an i7 is marginal at best when all else is equal. My point was that a similarly clocked 4-core Coffee Lake or even Kaby Lake would perform quite a bit better than the old Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Maybe in CSGO and Rocket League, but in games like GTAV and BF1 i will not.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430