New $1200 gaming/editing pc

Cameron K

Hello all after 6 months abroad with my razer blade I will be returning in December and selling it for $1200. I can stretch my budget if necessary but am also trying to build a dual xeon homelab. This is my current build that I plan on but I may swap ryzen for the 8700k depending on availability at that time. It will be mostly for gaming/edititng and some solidworks modeling. I have storage already from my old rig, any advice is appreciated. I will be overclocking as well.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($155.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($168.15 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon)  (not the best I know but I'm going with a white theme)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1227.97

EDIT: gaming at 1440p and two 1080p screens for editing/youtube

8 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Hello all after 6 months abroad with my razer blade I will be returning in December and selling it for $1200. I can stretch my budget if necessary but am also trying to build a dual xeon homelab. This is my current build that I plan on but I may swap ryzen for the 8700k depending on availability at that time. It will be mostly for gaming/edititng and some solidworks modeling. I have storage already from my old rig, any advice is appreciated. I will be overclocking as well.

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($168.15 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon)  (not the best I know but I'm going with a white theme)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

if you are looking to save some money, you can get away with a 650W EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold for like 75$, and you dont really need a x370. you can get away with the 90$ Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty gaming K4

but all in all,  a solid computer 

3 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

if you are looking to save some money, you can get away with a 650W EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold for like 75$, and you dont really need a x370. you can get away with the 90$ Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty gaming K4

but all in all,  a solid computer 

What's the vrm quality quality difference? I always try to buy a higher end mobo for personal builds for overclocking and longevity but maybe its just not necessary.

Just now, Cameron K said:

What's the vrm quality quality difference? I always try to buy a higher end mobo for personal builds for overclocking and longevity but maybe its just not necessary.

vrm quality is not my cup of tea, but asrock does pretty good on boards i found out. asrock also apparently has the best BIOS drivers for ryzen from what others on this forum have told others. 

21 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

You won't be overclocking an 8-core with a B350 motherboard. With the stock cooler, you're temperature limited, and the cooler gives some airflow over the VRM area. The Taichi is a really nice X370 board. @dave_k is the go to guy for AM4 motherboard VRMs

:)

pretty good. no complaints from me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

25 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

vrm quality is not my cup of tea, but asrock does pretty good on boards i found out. asrock also apparently has the best BIOS drivers for ryzen from what others on this forum have told others. 

Well, only "good" (for me, the X370 Killer SLI is not the worst one as well) AM4 boards from ASRock are the two top end models.

Also, B350 is sorta garbage and should be definitely avoided if possible

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

11 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Well, only "good" (for me, the X370 Killer SLI is not the worst one as well) AM4 boards from ASRock are the two top end models.

Would you happen to know if I could get good timings and speed with this ram and mobo?

Just now, Cameron K said:

Would you happen to know if I could get good timings and speed with this ram and mobo?

Yep, @jdwii has good memory OC experience with taichi. I think it will be cheesy to overclock.

4 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Hynix kits tend to hit 3200 MHz CL16 on most higher end boards. If you want 3200 MHz CL14 or higher frequencies, you'll have to get a Samsung B-die kit. Pretty much any kit with 3200 MHz CL14, and all ≥3466 MHz kits. There are also some other kits with Samsung B-die. 

35 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Hynix kits tend to hit 3200 MHz CL16 on most higher end boards. If you want 3200 MHz CL14 or higher frequencies, you'll have to get a Samsung B-die kit. Pretty much any kit with 3200 MHz CL14, and all ≥3466 MHz kits. There are also some other kits with Samsung B-die. 

So would this kit work well? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232403

More than I want to spend on memory but I was digging the white and black atheistic.

11 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

So would this kit work well? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232410

More than I want to spend on memory but I was digging the white and black atheistic.

Yes. That's a kit with Samsung B-die. They should also have a black and white, instead of grey and white version. 

But at this point you're paying ~$30 more for a slight increase in memory speed and lower latency. The performance of the CPU should increase, but not by that much. 

If you get a Hynix kit, you might get unlucky, and not hit 3200 MHz, but Ryzen memory compatibility has improved a lot. 

3 hours ago, dave_k said:

Also what mobo would you recommend with the 1700?

1 minute ago, Cameron K said:

Also what mobo would you recommend with the 1700?

The taichi is perfect.

Crazy thought I had, what about a uv led strip to go with the black and white theme? I think the tinted glass may give it a really cool twist too

9 hours ago, Cameron K said:

EDIT: gaming at 1440p and two 1080p screens for editing/youtube

Trident Z and ryzen don't always get 3200mhz but i have great experience with that board over my older crappy msi b350.