I don't understand this at all

TommoIRL

Hi guys.

I've a Dell XPS15 9530, and I've posted before about problems with my gpu in this which is a 750m. Basically what happens is when I play a game after either a couple of minutes or even seconds depending on the game my gpu will hit 100% and run at like 400mhz......

Heres the wierd bit..... It ONLY happens on DirectX games... I have run the laptop on Ubuntu and games that would give me problems didn't anymore, and when I went back to Windows I forgot to disable my gpu (normally do this on windows as games wont work so I use intergrated graphics) and I started playing Fortnite and it ran perfectly. After I launched my go to game which is CSGO and after a minute the gpu shat itself.

Looking into it I noticed Fortnite ran on OpenGL.

What could be causing this? After over a year with dealing with this issue is this info enough to know whats wrong and have a solution? I don't want to change launch settings and launch every game in Open GL ecause not all games support it obviously.

Any help on this would be amazing as this problem has gone on tooooooooooooooooooo long.

Thanks a million!

Coppz

Are you sure it's not just thermal throttling? Maybe it's time to open it up and clean it out then give it a nice new coat of thermal paste.

Laptops are far more susceptible to dust buildup and overheating than desktops, and if it's been going on for only a year but was fine before then I'd say heat is likely your main issue.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Have applied all new thermal paste about a month or 2 ago. Not related to this but done it just to help cooling overall. I can play 2+ hours on a opengl game running perfect and 2 mins in DirectX and go down to 10fps.

It was fine for the first week I got the laptop then it started happening. Got it for free from a friend who worked at Dell but It no receipts or anything so couldn't just get repaired I would of had to pay for it.

It's really messed up I have never heard of a problem like this in my life and i've been building systems since 2005

1 minute ago, Coppz said:

Have applied all new thermal paste about a month or 2 ago. Not related to this but done it just to help cooling overall. I can play 2+ hours on a opengl game running perfect and 2 mins in DirectX and go down to 10fps.

It was fine for the first week I got the laptop then it started happening. Got it for free from a friend who worked at Dell but It no receipts or anything so couldn't just get repaired I would of had to pay for it.

It's really messed up I have never heard of a problem like this in my life and i've been building systems since 2005

are drivers up to date and such?

11 minutes ago, Coppz said:

When was the last time you did a complete format and fresh install of Windows?

It sounds like a corrupted driver or DirectX API stack to me. It could also be a bug in the driver, but I'd be less confident of that being the cause.

I would suggest you completely format the system, do a fresh install, and then install the newest up-to-date drivers.

Don't use the Dell ISO image either, as they tend to include at least some bloatware (Their business class Windows images are less bloated, but consumer ones can be pretty bad). Just download the Windows 10 Media Creator and create a fresh install USB.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Coppz said:

@dalekphalm fresh install today. I used the windows ISO.

@ImNotThere all drivers are up to date

And?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dalekphalm all drivers are up to date from today and same issues basically. I've reinstalled windows and drivers i'd say about 100 times in the past year in hope of something fixing this. Is it possible its something wrong with my hardware? I doubt it because OpenGL is working but could something be wrong with like a component that speaks to DirectX or anything? My computer knowledge is in software, not hardware so im unaware if such controller or anything exists.

1 minute ago, Coppz said:

@dalekphalm all drivers are up to date from today and same issues basically. I've reinstalled windows and drivers i'd say about 100 times in the past year in hope of something fixing this. Is it possible its something wrong with my hardware? I doubt it because OpenGL is working but could something be wrong with like a component that speaks to DirectX or anything? My computer knowledge is in software, not hardware so im unaware if such controller or anything exists.

Assuming you've tried different driver versions, etc, and it still happens?

I would then say the issue could be a hardware defect - probably on your GPU specifically. The reason why OpenGL may still work is if the defect is in a specific part of the GPU that only DirectX accesses.

Is the laptop still under warranty?

Just now, Coppz said:

DX and openGL are API's so it shouldn't be a hardware issue, not ruling it out but its more than likely to be a windows issue, try formatting hard drive/ssd and reinstall windows as the only thing on the drive, if doing exactly that doesnt work then its a hardware issue.

4 minutes ago, Coppz said:

did you get drivers for gt750m from nvidia or dell?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7GFMG

dell has their own drivers released for the gpu with the xps 15, OEM's tend to do this

8 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

did you get drivers for gt750m from nvidia or dell?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7GFMG

dell has their own drivers released for the gpu with the xps 15, OEM's tend to do this

Good point - there could well be differences in the drivers that could cause instability.

Hi guys sorry about delay done some windows updates. Problem still occuring.

I have personally tried 3 different versions of the drivers:

1. The ones that come with Windows 10 (during the windows update they get your drivers also now)

2. From nVidia website

3. From Dells website.

All act the same. Its just so strange its only DirectX.. 

Windows update is just done so am going to try a game out now.

Thanks for all the help so far I don't think I said that yet im highly appreciative 

btw ive uninstalled all drivers am about to test with ones that come with win10, then nvidia, then dells. Will come back with results shortly