Pc Keeps Restarting

elexi0s

so i just built a friend of mine a pc out of old parts i had. a 3220 8gb ram 400W psu. and it worked fine when we built it in his kitchen, then we put it in the case and it worked fine so we moved it to his room. now whenever we turn it on it will at random times restart back to the menu to open bios before it loads the os. it does this sometimes when we log into windows, sometimes it will do this when under load sometimes it will do this while loading windoes and sometimes when just sitting on the desktop. any ideas as to why its doing this all of a sudden?

Have you kept the PC on your carpet if you have try keeping it on a glassy surface

Just now, MangaManga said:

Have you kept the PC on your carpet if you have try keeping it on a glassy surface

nope, always on a non static surface. was on plastic now on wood

How long did you test it for in the kitchen? Do you have good enough wall power in his room? 

Just now, elexi0s said:

nope, always on a non static surface. was on plastic now on wood

aight what are your pc specs?

Just now, Colty said:

How long did you test it for in the kitchen? Do you have good enough wall power in his room? 

it should have plenty of power, and we tested it for quite a while, and hen using it in his room it instantly started doing this

aight what are your pc specs?

as stated in post, but the motherboard is asrock h61m vg4

you have just stated about your ram and psu what about your processor and your gpu and your hdd and other stuff??

Just now, elexi0s said:

it should have plenty of power, and we tested it for quite a while, and hen using it in his room it instantly started doing this

It's not about the amount of power, more so about the quality of it and the quality of the PSU in relation to that for the power conversion. Can you bring it back to the kitchen and try it out there? Do you have a good power strip or (better yet) surge protector you can try using to regulate it a bit? 

you have just stated about your ram and psu what about your processor and your gpu and your hdd and other stuff??

ah i said it was a 3220 but that's an i3 3220 if it wasnt clear. no gpu and the hdd is a seagate one we pulled out of a laptop and im not there now to check the model.

1 minute ago, Colty said:

It's not about the amount of power, more so about the quality of it and the quality of the PSU in relation to that for the power conversion. Can you bring it back to the kitchen and try it out there? Do you have a good power strip or (better yet) surge protector you can try using to regulate it a bit? 

will test and report back but im not going back over his place for a few hours 

1 minute ago, elexi0s said:

ah i said it was a 3220 but that's an i3 3220 if it wasnt clear. no gpu and the hdd is a seagate one we pulled out of a laptop and im not there now to check the model.

which brand is the psu of and is it bronze certified?

Just now, elexi0s said:

will test and report back but im not going back over his place for a few hours 

If he just wants to use it for a while, he may be able to use the system if he removes the GPU and uses the onboard graphics if he just wants to get games and whatnot installed.

which brand is the psu of and is it bronze certified?

dont know, we pulled it out of an old pc and i wont get over his house to check for a few hours

If he just wants to use it for a while, he may be able to use the system if he removes the GPU and uses the onboard graphics if he just wants to get games and whatnot installed.

he does not have an external gpu as he already said

theres no gpu dude, i have no idea whats pulling the power

Just now, elexi0s said:

dont know, we pulled it out of an old pc and i wont get over his house to check for a few hours

the problem may be the psu. try replacing the psu because the old psu s accumulate a LOT of dust inside them and dont work properly..

Just now, elexi0s said:

theres no gpu dude, i have no idea whats pulling the power

1 minute ago, MangaManga said:

he does not have an external gpu as he already said

Ah, my bad. 

the problem may be the psu. try replacing the psu because the old psu s accumulate a LOT of dust inside them and dont work properly..

this may be surprising (it was to me) there is barely any dust in it somehow

You may not see the dust but TRUST ME THE DUST IS THERE try using something that blows a concentrated flow of air to get the dust outside

NOT A PRESSURE WATER COOLER u know eletronics+water= BOOM

You may not see the dust but TRUST ME THE DUST IS THERE

took the fan off, and was pretty clean. but i suppose it could get in there deeper.

Was the PC a prebuilt from Dell or Sony? The efficiency rating might be awful or there could be a bad capacitor. 

Just now, elexi0s said:

took the fan off, and was pretty clean. but i suppose it could get in there deeper.

I wouldn't recommend that. Get an air compressor, clean it out, but don't open it up, not safe. 

Just now, Colty said:

Was the PC a prebuilt from Dell or Sony? The efficiency rating might be awful or there could be a bad capacitor. 

nope, a pc builder in my town. although my experience with them was pretty bad and i think they're pretty incompetent honestly. also if the psu is the problem why would it work in the kitchen?

4 minutes ago, elexi0s said:

tried reconnecting most things, maybe faulty plug