MacBook Pro with (x4 < Thunderbolt 4 eGPU's)?

McCutch

I want to know if the MacBook Pro late 2016 or newer with Four Thunderbolt ports can have four eGPU's with RX580's in Crossover? Or even iMac with Four Thunderbolt4 ports? 

You can connect 4 GPUs, but each one will only have a x2 connection. The 4 ports are 2 ports per Thunderbolt controller, and a thunderbolt controller can only get a x4 connection.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Can you even to a 4 way Crossfire?

Not in OS X, and almost guarantee not over Thunderbolt.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I believe you only get 4 (maybe 8) PCIe lanes, so performance would certainly be limited. A single GPU may already be bottlenecked by Thunderbolt's limited PCIe.

Technically possible but it's not really good for much.

Really just having one would give you the best performance. Thunderbolt is limited to a set amount of PCIE lanes. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

I believe you only get 4 (maybe 8) PCIe lanes, so performance would certainly be limited. A single GPU may already be bottlenecked by Thunderbolt's limited PCIe.

Technically possible but it's not really good for much.

Not knowing the routing, and being to lazy to look it up.

7700HQ, the base proc on the 15" MBP, has 16 lanes from CPU. Chipset offers additional, not sure how many.

NVMe SSD runs an x4 connection, if you have a Radeon Pro 555 or 560, that takes a x8, two TB3 controllers, taking a x4 and a second x4. Total of 20, if the NVMe SSD is using chipset lanes, and only TB and dGPU takes up CPU, everything is happy.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The ports are connected in pairs, if you put a high performance device in one port it will disable or severely limit the second port.

The controllers can easily manage doing x2/x2.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The controllers can easily manage doing x2/x2.

That's his point, going to x2 could hamper performance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's his point, going to x2 could hamper performance.

I wouldn't constitute that as severely limiting performance for high performance devices across the board, most current GPUs, yes. Other things, no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't constitute that as severely limiting performance for high performance devices across the board, most current GPUs, yes. Other things, no.

Yeah but op is talking about using GPUs so...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I don't know about running 4 eGPUs but just for fun I have successfully ran 2 GTX1070 in 2 eGPU enclosure Daisy chain on a 2016 13" MBP running Sierra with a huge increase in performance. (Yes, knowing that the 13" MBP has no dedicated graphics onboard)

Please note: With the very little detail documentation  publicly released regarding both Apple's hardware & software implementation and not taking the time to break down every variable and  retesting the validity of my observation and speculation within my on personal experience. That said

With Apple's own proprietary  implementation regarding both Thunderbolt 2 and Thundebolt 3. I personally believe that Apple's Hardware Acceleration integration control has a lot of effect pertaining to distrabuation of the PCIe bus lanes. 

Testing the new Apple eGPU developer kit on the new 2017 15" MBP running High Sierra http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/06/apple-egpu-dev-kit-requires-external-monitor-nothing-unique-about-graphics-card-or-enclosure I've noticed that there was a huge performance differential with an AMD RX580 included with Apple's DevKit with taking the exact RX580 into a Akitio Thunder3 eGPU. And when combining both egpus together one the devkit would be recognizee.   With alot of Researching (via YouTube) found this arrival from 9to5mac https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/19/akitio-node-gtx-1080-ti-gpu-macbook-pro-gaming-egpu/ 

Switching to a 13" 2013 MBP running osSierra, I took a couple of GTX1070 and with the Akitio eGPU first I loaded the script referenced from 9to5mac in the command line. Once everything was restated I then added Apples DevKit with the second GTX1070  Daisychained after the Akitio. As soon as my Mac recognizes the DevKit and restart (not plug n play) connected an external monitor daisychained after DefKik surprisingly had a signal. 

Not having run any benchmarks,  can only comment In regards to video rendering and an improvement in times not only to just adding a single 1070eGPU to a MBP will be boosted but an addition of a second 1070eGPU added a signicant amount of performance with a big decrease in overall lag.