Unusual chiller setup

Just for giggles, I’m thinking of swapping my water cooling radiator setup for a chiller and having it run at 4c. Obviously condensation is the enemy here and I’ve read a lot about insulation as a means to combat this but I want to try a more exotic solution. 

I’m thinking of completely sealing the case so no external airflow comes in or out. Place some desiccant in the case to remove ambient moisture within the case. 

Obviously there’s the issue of temperature buildup within the case. I see two solutions.

1. A radiator + fan assembly inside the case blowing the warm case air over the 4c chilled water going through the radiator, effectively using the radiator to absorb heat as opposed to dissapating heat. 

2. Peltier coolers with the cooling side of the element inside the case and the heat dissipation side outside the sealed case. 

Thoughts?

unpractical at best? i don't think the moisture removing idea will work. that's really the only unsurmoutable problem i can see

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

16 minutes ago, CaffeineJunkie said:

Just for giggles, I’m thinking of swapping my water cooling radiator setup for a chiller and having it run at 4c. Obviously condensation is the enemy here and I’ve read a lot about insulation as a means to combat this but I want to try a more exotic solution. 

I’m thinking of completely sealing the case so no external airflow comes in or out. Place some desiccant in the case to remove ambient moisture within the case. 

Obviously there’s the issue of temperature buildup within the case. I see two solutions.

1. A radiator + fan assembly inside the case blowing the warm case air over the 4c chilled water going through the radiator, effectively using the radiator to absorb heat as opposed to dissapating heat. 

2. Peltier coolers with the cooling side of the element inside the case and the heat dissipation side outside the sealed case. 

Thoughts?

I''l leave you with this here, it's doable but is to recommended or worth the extra hassle I would probably say no. 

6 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

unpractical at best? i don't think the moisture removing idea will work. that's really the only unsurmoutable problem i can see

I figured a large pack of calcium chloride left in the sealed case with internal fans creating airflow for up to a week at room temperature to absorb all the moisture inside the case. 

Just now, CaffeineJunkie said:

I figured a large pack of calcium chloride left in the sealed case with internal fans creating airflow for up to a week at room temperature to absorb all the moisture inside the case. 

but how do you make it perfectly sealed? air comes in and out constantly through all cracks and you can't remove all moisture from the air on the palnet

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

but how do you make it perfectly sealed? air comes in and out constantly through all cracks and you can't remove all moisture from the air on the palnet

Silicone sealant on every crack, joint, or opening.

IO will be a challenge. 

I should point out that I’m only planning to do this because I’m bored and it’s a hobby.  I have no expectations as to what the overclock will be. 

6 minutes ago, CaffeineJunkie said:

Silicone sealant on every crack, joint, or opening.

IO will be a challenge. 

it's all going to be a challenge. might aswell build a case just for this it will be easier to seal

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

17 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it's all going to be a challenge. might aswell build a case just for this it will be easier to seal

Well for proof of concept I might just mount everything inside a large clear plastic storage box. 

23 minutes ago, CaffeineJunkie said:

Well for proof of concept I might just mount everything inside a large clear plastic storage box. 

oh i saw 3dprinting nerd do something like that for storing filament. wait no it's this guy

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

7 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

oh i saw 3dprinting nerd do something like that for storing filament. wait no it's this guy

Yeah, a larger scale box like that for the POC.

20 minutes ago, CaffeineJunkie said:

Yeah, a larger scale box like that for the POC.

the only problem here is that low humidity isn't enough in this case we don't want any possible condensation. you're better off spraying the mobo with a sealent

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)