How does battery work?

flamer7

Hey there guys, I just want to ask, if anyone is using a mac. I am using the Mbp 15, which was recently bought, and I want to know how I should use it in terms of battery. Because of its portability, I like to bring it around my house. But, I would like to know if charging/stop charging/charging the battery will spoil it faster, as I normally do this. I bring it around, and once I see the battery reach 5%, I bring it back to charge, and once it's done I move around again. Is this bad, and should I just leave it charged the whole time, or what? Could someone explain? :)

I don't know if this still applies, but with older batteries at least, you should charge till full and then drain it, then charge again. Like I said not sure about nowadays but that was the case.

Batteries are meant to be discharged, that's the point of them, don't empty a lithium battery fully though, as it will damage it.

@zamaz That is not necessary with lithium batteries.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Sooo.. I should use it until about 10%ishh, and then start to charge it back, but DONT let it die?

re charge when its got about 1/3 left. i use a msi gs70 for work and thats how I do it

Is that the best way? Every single day?

The recommended thresholds I've seen are usually between 30-40% and 80-90%. You can stretch those as long as it's not 0% and 100%. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The recommended thresholds I've seen are usually between 30-40% and 80-90%. You can stretch those as long as it's not 0% and 100%. 

So once it drops to 30ish charge it till 90 then stop and discharge to 30 again?

So once it drops to 30ish charge it till 90 then stop and discharge to 30 again?

Yup.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The sweet spot is like 40-80%.

Charge little and often.

Full charge and discharge once a month.

Don't leave on after fully charged (but try not to fully charge it at all).

Try not to drain the battery fully.

Basically, if you get a chance to charge it, do it.

Try and keep the battery between 40% and 80%, but do a full charge and discharge once a month.

Hope this helps :)

The sweet spot is like 40-80%.

Charge little and often.

Full charge and discharge once a month.

Don't leave on after fully charged (but try not to fully charge it at all).

Try not to drain the battery fully.

Basically, if you get a chance to charge it, do it.

Try and keep the battery between 40% and 80%, but do a full charge and discharge once a month.

Hope this helps :)

Cool thanks

I'm pretty sure none of this really applies to newer lithium/ion batteries. The lifespan on it will not be compromised unless the battery is completely drsined(which will only happen if you PC dies and you keep trying to turn it on without charging).

Now I'm no expert and don't know if any of you are, so you can decide to listen to

Me or not, that is your call :)

I was told all this by a good friend of mine working with all sorts of RC heli's and cars btw, if you were wondering.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Modern Lithium-Ion batteries don't care when you charge them.  Don't worry about draining it to a certain amount before charging, or charging them all the way before disconnecting, that was only necessary with older batteries.  The only thing you shouldn't do is a deep discharge (full 0%).