ASUS N56VM - keyboard backlight - BIOS?

Hey everyone,

I have an ASUS N56VM laptop and at one point in time it's motherboard has died. It was turning off right after being turned on, with no image or other signs of life. I tried flashing BIOS - it didn't help. Couldn't find an issue in the board itself, so in the end I just replaced it.
With the new board the laptop works just fine, except for the keyboard backlight. Backlight itself is fine - it lights up when connected to an external power source. I didn't find any physical issue on the  motherboard itself.
I'm pretty sure, that the issue is not related to drivers because with the old board (the dead one) the backlight was lighting up right after the laptop was turned on (before POST), then was turning off. With the new board it does not light up at all (also it no longer lights up with the old one too - after I tried flashing it's BIOS).

I've googled this - some people do have similar issues and the suggestion usually is to either upgrade or downgrade the BIOS. I've tried all versions from the official website - none of them helped.

Also, I happened to have another N56VM board (xD) and guess what? Same there - backlight just doesn't work!

It's not life or death situation, but it would be very nice to make it great work again. My guess - it has to be some special version of BIOS (idea came from this post), maybe a dump from a laptop with working KB backlight.

Thanks!