Why are my temperatures so high?

Is there any outstanding reason that my GPU is running 50 degrees at idle and all the way up to 90+ under load? It is an MSI 980ti that is not overclocked. My i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5ghz maxes out at 60 degrees in the same cooling loop. There is one 360 rad at the top of the case and a 240 rad mounted to the front.

pc2.thumb.JPG.dc147fe835627189441b590f708f7c2a.JPG

Do you have a pump working?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Is your pump functional?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Is your pump functional?

D5 pump working fine it seems, changed from a DDC for a sake of a quieter pump although its running at 100% to maintain that 50 degree idle temp.

3 minutes ago, SonLux said:

D5 pump working fine it seems, changed from a DDC for a sake of a quieter pump although its running at 100% to maintain that 50 degree idle temp.

it's probably a bad mount. you'll have to take the block off and put it back on. also double check thermal past aplication

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it's probably a bad mount. you'll have to take the block off and put it back on. also double check thermal past aplication

I've also considered re-routing the loop to have a rad before the GPU, would this make much difference or does the order not matter too much? I'll re-affix the block and see how it changes.

I agree with Squinty it sounds like an issue with the block not being able to pull heat off your components, if it was a pump issue your cpu would be on fire too.  You can probably get away with dropping your pump speed to around 2.5-3 as well, depending on where it resonates with your case to increase its longevity.

2 minutes ago, MSN04Sazabi said:

I agree with Squinty it sounds like an issue with the block not being able to pull heat off your components, if it was a pump issue your cpu would be on fire too.  You can probably get away with dropping your pump speed to around 2.5-3 as well, depending on where it resonates with your case to increase its longevity.

Dropped the pump down to 50% for about 15 minutes now and the GPU temp has gone up to 65 at idle while the CPU is still around 30 so that certainly lends credence to the idea that it's the block at fault.

Pump speed really only makes a big difference when you have a lot of blocks to cool and require the extra head pressure. The faster the water goes across the block the faster it goes through the rad too.

25 minutes ago, SonLux said:

I've also considered re-routing the loop to have a rad before the GPU, would this make much difference or does the order not matter too much? I'll re-affix the block and see how it changes.

that won't change anything that's a common misconception of how watercooling loops work. it might drop a degree or two but it's not what you're looking for

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

8 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that won't change anything that's a common misconception of how watercooling loops work. it might drop a degree or two but it's not what you're looking for

That saves me a lot of work then, easy enough to re-fit the waterblock, I'll probably change out the tubing from GPU to rad as that has warped from the heat and weight (detailed in another post)

What version 980Ti and Waterblock do you have, because it doesn't look like the reference design with that 8x8 pin power.

Its a MSI AIB but it should be almost mirror to the reference with the titan block on it, doing low 60s under load.

IMG_20171011_170329_01.jpg

6 minutes ago, MSN04Sazabi said:

What version 980Ti and Waterblock do you have, because it doesn't look like the reference design with that 8x8 pin power.

MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G card and EK-FC980 GTX Ti TF5 block

Is the semi prolonged use at 90 degrees enough to cause this warping to the tubing? Or is there another factor I'm not considering, it is only happening at this fitting from the GPU to rad. 

newtubing.thumb.jpg.61a101b2777b0ada317ff1d63de92177.jpg

That seems very high for that GPU. Mine (Palit 980Ti) idles around 30 and only goes up to 55 in Unigine benchmarking and that’s with some reasonable overclocks. 

Something is wrong I can tell you that much altho you already knew that :-)

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

prolly the GPU processor isn't pasted well enough or you have one large air bubble trapped in the GPU block.

Sound as if you have an air bubble, not enough paste, or the block is getting clogged up.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar