Ryzen 7 for 4K video editing?

I'm currently running a 4790K and a GTX 970 in my system with 32GB Ram and using two samsung 250gb 850 evos as my scratch disks GPU is enabled.

I edit footage from my GH5 on the regular and footage from my friends  a7SII as well as footage from the C300 and I will likely have some RED and VariCam, footage come in soon too. 

As far as the general editing and scrubbing performance of the machine currently it is fantastic in full res, but once I start to mess with color or add corrective effects like Red Giants 

DeNoiser II the system completely locks up. It seems like it's only the footage with the higher bit depth, that causes the issue too. The AS7II 8bit footage flies no matter what but the 

GH5 10bit locks it up as soon as I do much more than a stabilizer on it even when previewed at 1/4 res. I figure with the system coming up on 4 years old and footage coming with higher bit depths coming in 

looking at upgrade options isn't a bad idea. 

TL:DR system isn't handling 10bit + files well and is about 4years old. Curious about Ryzen 7 as an upgrade option for high depth 4K editing. 

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future

Just now, craydawg said:

I'm currently running a 4790K and a GTX 970 in my system with 32GB Ram and using two samsung 250gb 850 evos as my scratch disks GPU is enabled.

I edit footage from my GH5 on the regular and footage from my friends  a7SII as well as footage from the C300 and I will likely have some RED and VariCam, footage come in soon too. 

As far as the general editing and scrubbing performance of the machine currently it is fantastic in full res, but once I start to mess with color or add corrective effects like Red Giants 

DeNoiser II the system completely locks up. It seems like it's only the footage with the higher bit depth, that causes the issue too. The AS7II 8bit footage flies no matter what but the 

GH5 10bit locks it up as soon as I do much more than a stabilizer on it even when previewed at 1/4 res. I figure with the system coming up on 4 years old and footage coming with higher bit depths coming in 

TL:DR system isn't handling 10bit + files well and is about 4years old. Curious about Ryzen 7 as an upgrade option for high depth 4K editing. 

Depends on if the software can leverage more cores, or if it needs more clock and more cores. It's also pointless to edit 10 bit colours without a 10 bit monitor and capable GPU, so usually Quadro or FirePro (Radeon Pro)

Yours faithfully

37 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Depends on if the software can leverage more cores, or if it needs more clock and more cores. It's also pointless to edit 10 bit colours without a 10 bit monitor and capable GPU, so usually Quadro or FirePro (Radeon Pro)

Its not usless at all even if he doesnt have a 10bit panel as there is much more latitude in the file when grading compared to a 8bit one. Thats like saying 14bit raw (image) files is a waste of space/time unless you have a 14 bit monitor which is just ridicilous. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

1 hour ago, craydawg said:

Here's my recommendation for a 4K editing rig, if you're using Premiere and AE.

CPU: between 6 to 10 cores, unless Adobe has redesigned Premiere to be capable of fully utilizing multiple cores getting a CPU that has 10+ cores is really not that necessary as the performance gain is minimal compared to the cost.  At the same time, make sure the CPU clock speed is fast.  For example, between a 10 core 2GHz/core CPU and a 6 core 4GHz/core CPU, the 6 core CPU will likely give you a better performance.  So try to balance out clock speed vs. number of cores.

Memory: I really recommend 64GB minimum.

Storage: dedicated SSD for OS and applications.  Put project files, stock resources, templates, footage, etc. on secondary drives (use SSDs, HDDs in RAID, etc. as you see fit or as your budget allows).  And organize them well.

GPU: If you can afford it, get a Quadro GPU (e.g. a M4000 or P4000 series) to run the display but only if you plan to get or have a 10bit monitor.  And a secondary GPU, perhaps a GTX GPU with sufficient VRAM and CUDA cores to run the workload.  If you don't have a 10-bit monitor or don't plan to get one (because a good 10-bit monitor for video work starts at a price around $1000) just get a good GTX card with sufficient VRAM and CUDA cores.

FYI, I also use RED Giant plugins like DeNoiser and sometimes I just pre-render the sequence to help things move along faster.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, xQubeZx said:

Its not usless at all even if he doesnt have a 10bit panel as there is much more latitude in the file when grading compared to a 8bit one. Thats like saying 14bit raw (image) files is a waste of space/time unless you have a 14 bit monitor which is just ridicilous. 

blindly trying to colour correct without actually seeing what you're correcting isn't a good idea. Sure it might help a bit, but you're not getting everything you can out of the process. 

Yours faithfully

5 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

blindly trying to colour correct without actually seeing what you're correcting isn't a good idea. Sure it might help a bit, but you're not getting everything you can out of the process. 

That's not what he means. He means that if you have a 10 bit file, you can edit more without artifacting starts to happen/be visible.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Your system isn't too old. You may want to start using your render selection system in Premiere if you are needing to see how well denoiser is working. I haven't seen a single system that can analyze and render that plugin in real time yet. I disagree with the ridiculous amounts of RAM as I have only seen at most 32GB being enough for something like a 4790K. Premiere is so terrible with multi-threaded performance that reserving a lot of RAM towards the system is barely used in the first place.

10 Bit video is incredibly dense footage, to be honest, your bottleneck is probably not your processor or graphics card, it is probably your hard drive. You may want to create an SSD Raid Array for faster read and write times.