8700k, nh-d15 vs masterliquid 240

TL;DR, the stuff in bold are the important ones.

I want a good cooler for an i7-8700k that i'm going to buy, would overclock a little, maybe 4.8-5.0ghz and I don't care about aesthetics and the h110i and h115i are really costly like nearly $170-180 in my region. But there are a few reasons for why I can't choose a good one, and I have a few questions too,

1)There are not a lot of coolers in my region, so don't suggest these brands - be quiet, cryorig, and some thermaltake ones.

2)I could get the masterliquid 240 AIO and the nh-d15 for about the same price, and from what I've seen nh-d15 destroys many AIOs so the masterliquid 240 can't stand a chance right? but then linus used the masterliquid 240 for a threadripper build, and he called it "high end cooling" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-b7A4_5nU - 9:12 ).

3)One reason I'm scared of getting the nh-d15 is the height, I would maybe buy a masterbox 5, which has a clearance of 167mm for air coolers and the noctua nh-d15's height is 165mm, so is that a problem. I don't mind if all it does is touch my glass panel. And I'm thinking of getting an extra front intake case fan if that reduces my temps.

4)Some reasons for not getting an AIO include-

i)leaks, though I haven't heard of a masterliquid leak other than just one guy who showed a few droplets. I don't know if coolermaster would replace my parts and it could be a very long and time consuming process.

ii)Not as good as the nh-d15

iii)My case would have one intake in the front, and one exhaust in the back plus the 2 fans that come with the masterliquid 240, and here is the tricky part. If I use the masterliquid's fans as intake then it would mean that heat from the CPU would get back into the case heating everything else like the gpu, mobo, hdd. If I use it as exhaust then I would have a negative air flow, 3 exhaust versus 1 intake, and negative airflow would mean dust which I really don't want. Is this correct or am I wrong? maybe I should start another topic for this?

So finally, should I get the NH-D15 or the masterliquid 240 for an i7-8700k. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A good air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15 can easily rival the cooling performance of 240/280mm AIOs. You should be fine. Air coolers are cool.

As for height clearance, you have enough room in your case.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

As for height clearance, you have enough room in your case.

Thanks but I read just now here "https://www.toptengamer.com/pc-case-compatible-cooler-gpu-heatsink/" that I would need extra clearance

"While there are exceptions, I recommend at least a 10mm allowance for error. In other words, don’t buy a CPU Cooler / Heatsink with 160mm clearance to go with a case on here that has 160mm listed under its specification. The better practice, for that cooler, would be to go with one that’s 170mm."

My old case was 150 max and my cooler was 145. Pretty close but ypu could try it and return if it doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

Thanks but I read just now here "https://www.toptengamer.com/pc-case-compatible-cooler-gpu-heatsink/" that I would need extra clearance

"While there are exceptions, I recommend at least a 10mm allowance for error. In other words, don’t buy a CPU Cooler / Heatsink with 160mm clearance to go with a case on here that has 160mm listed under its specification. The better practice, for that cooler, would be to go with one that’s 170mm."

As long as the case isn't pushing onto the heatsink/CPU, you'll be fine. Normally, the "CPU cooler height" clearance height is the height the manufacturer deemed appropriate for CPU coolers.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

My old case was 150 max and my cooler was 145. Pretty close but ypu could try it and return if it doesn't work.

ok, thanks but i want real answers?

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

As long as the case isn't pushing onto the heatsink/CPU, you'll be fine. Normally, the "CPU cooler height" clearance height is the height the manufacturer deemed appropriate for CPU coolers.

what if it does push onto the heatsink?

1 minute ago, Chaos Gamer said:

What from someone with the actual case and cooler? I'm just saying my old case was 5 mm so pretty close to your situation... I can't guarantee anything though (which I guess is what you want)

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

What from someone with the actual case and cooler? I'm just saying my old case was 5 mm so pretty close to your situation... I can't guarantee anything though (which I guess is what you want)

I am sorry and really thankful that you replied. But you have like 3mm more clearance than mine so I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

what if it does push onto the heatsink?

Well.. that's not good.

But at this point, you're just asking "what if" questions. I seriously doubt that the case can't fit the cooler.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

I would choose the aio, its not bad even though d15 will perform better without doubt. but thats too big & i always had question that if such big cooler can put an impact on board for hanging with such weight or incase in need of move. but decision on you. you probably be safe with both.  

Just now, Fardin said:

d15 will perform better without doubt

i don't need aesthetics, only performance. I'm not going to be moving my PC

2 minutes ago, Fardin said:

i always had question that if such big cooler can put an impact on board for hanging with such weight or incase in need of move. but decision on you

I did a research on that nh-d15's weight's impact on the motherboard some time ago, and I don't have to worry about that.

you probably be safe with both.  

I don't know if that can be said for AIO leaks, which are actually more frequent than a nh-d15 breaking a motherboard.

i don't need aesthetics, only performance. I'm not going to be moving my PC

I did a research on that nh-d15's weight's impact on the motherboard some time ago, and I don't have to worry about that.

I don't know if that can be said for AIO leaks, which are actually more frequent than a nh-d15 breaking a motherboard.

ahh thank you, i had my doubt clear too haha. then you should go with d15. I am sure it will perform better. 

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

ahh thank you, i had my doubt clear too haha. then you should go with d15. I am sure it will perform better. 

Umm the height is the issue now...

2 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

Umm the height is the issue now...

you dont have any other case option with more clearance or you have picked up the case already? i just noticed you have like 2mm difference from its height if choose masterbox. 

14 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

The dude here seems to be using the same setup fine http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3317445/master-box-noctua-d15.html

The nh-d15 fits fine in the masterbox.

you dont have any other case option with more clearance or you have picked up the case already? i just noticed you have like 2mm difference from its height if choose masterbox. 

I haven't bought the case yet, but at this price point in my region this is the only case that supports the nh-d15.

The nh-d15 fits fine.

read that , glad to see you have your problem solved mate! 

Just now, Fardin said:

read that , glad to see you have your problem solved mate! 

yeah most of it, but I could save $10-15 by buying an AIO.

33 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

My case would have one intake in the front, and one exhaust in the back plus the 2 fans that come with the masterliquid 240, and here is the tricky part. If I use the masterliquid's fans as intake then it would mean that heat from the CPU would get back into the case heating everything else like the gpu, mobo, hdd. If I use it as exhaust then I would have a negative air flow, 3 exhaust versus 1 intake, and negative airflow would mean dust which I really don't want.

so i want this solved

People still care about AIO leaks in 2017?

Not only are they absurdly unlikely to leak and unlikely to go unnoticed before damaging anything if they leak, but 9/10 companies replace all components after a short investigation..

For lack of better words, stop being such a bitch and crying about a leak... I'd put a H100I V2 in a $10,000 system without thinking twice. Better than putting a massive piece of metal from a thin fibreglass board.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

4 minutes ago, Armakar said:

People still care about AIO leaks in 2017?

Not only are they absurdly unlikely to leak and unlikely to go unnoticed before damaging anything if they leak, but 9/10 companies replace all components after a short investigation..

For lack of better words, stop being such a bitch and crying about a leak... I'd put a H100I V2 in a $10,000 system without thinking twice. Better than putting a massive piece of metal from a thin fibreglass board.

google H100i leak,

And that "massive piece of metal" does not do any harm whatsoever to the motherboard or any other parts and it even cools better than AIOs which are double the cost, especially your h100i...

and http://community.coolermaster.com/topic/21726-brand-new-240-leaking-out-of-the-box/

4 minutes ago, Chaos Gamer said:

google H100i leak,

And that "massive piece of metal" does not do any harm whatsoever to the motherboard or any other parts and it even cools better than AIOs which are double the cost, especially your h100i...

Google "Meteor hits russia"

Oh, and not a single result from the first page when you google "h100i leak" is from 2017, although, yes, they do leak in 2017, doesn't change the fact it's unlikely.

With your hypothesis, don't get in a car today, google "car crash"

Don't ever fly abroad, google "plane crash"

Don't eat anything today, google "guy chokes on food"

Don't install your powersupply, google "Powersupply blows up"

That said, your comment alone proves you don't want an AIO; why are you even asking here? Your comment is paticularly biased towards saying "AIOs are worthless,  bad value and bad cooling, my air cooler beats it" - Why are you asking on here when you've already made your mind up?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Why are you asking on here when you've already made your mind up?

OK! The answer I want is numbers! can a masterliquid 240 or any other AIO outperform a nh-d15???????????