Wifi SMS?

Zodiark1593

Any means available that I can send SMS texts over a wifi connection? I frequent a small town fairly often that gets absolutely no service from my carrier. When I had my T-Mobile branded LG G2, WiFi calling was my savior, but since buying my new phone which T-Mobile never even sold, (never mind the custom ROM bit I'm running), I have been pretty much on radio silence whenever I head to this area. My friend I text most has an iPhone, meaning non-issue due to iMessage, though I've an Android, so no-go. Also, most I text are fairly tech illiterate, meaning getting everyone onto Hangouts or something similar would also be a royal PITA and bring rise to many questions of "Why".

Needs to be a solution on my end only.

Working on experimenting here seeing if anything at all works. Not a lot of luck so far though beyond using some website/app and a burner number, but even many of these require cell service and is a really hack-job solution.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Some phones have wifi assist, check that.

Mine does not. I've checked many times over since I bought my phone, including the hidden menus. I've experimented with various apps and other potential solutions off and on since buying my phone, though have not (yet) found anything that works without intervention of some sort on the other end.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

You can try whatsapp. 

Beyond the apparent security concerns (which may be trivial in the grand scheme of things anyway), there is the fact that everyone I message would have to use the app. Not exactly realistic for those I contact regularly.

My eyes see the past…

The closes thing I've heard of for this is iMessage on IOS devices. I too would like to find a way to text via Wifi on Android as I don't get great cell service at work.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Beyond the apparent security concerns (which may be trivial in the grand scheme of things anyway), there is the fact that everyone I message would have to use the app. Not exactly realistic for those I contact regularly.

I was gonna suggest whatsapp as well. In fact, it seemed completely obvious to me. SMS is pretty much dead here and everyone and their grandmother uses whatsapp. (literally)

So if that's not an option, what about simply using emails?

13 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I was gonna suggest whatsapp as well. In fact, it seemed completely obvious to me. SMS is pretty much dead here and everyone and their grandmother uses whatsapp. (literally)

I've never used whatsapp, nor have plenty of my friends. We stick with regular texting and/or snapchat.

Emails are very inconvenient for conversation.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

27 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Everyone I know uses SMS or iMessage (android or Apple).

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

2 phones

1 of which has the sim card and left charging where there is reception. 

The other, with you and remotely controlling the first using Teamviewer.

If you want your contacts to recieve sms over basic cell, then you need cell reception yourself, period. 

Unless you have wifi boost/calling

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

• 4 weeks later...

So I found that this particular area receives Band 12 LTE from T-Mobile, the exact band that my phone happens to be missing or for some reason is non functional (and found out by borrowing a K10). I probably wouldn't have chosen this phone had I known that tbh because it is kind of a big deal where I live.

My eyes see the past…

3 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

It's called MMS

Mms does not work without cell signal.

Lot's of searching later, and I'm not seeing anything resembling another solution beyond buying a different phone, which as this has been a royal PITA for the past few months, is a tempting thought.

Edit: further research tells me that T-Mobile does not allow uncertified devices from accessing VoLTE or Band 12. Band 12 technically works on my phone, but I'm being blocked by the carrier. So yeah, this route is shut out to me altogether... :(

My eyes see the past…

17 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Mms does not work without cell signal.

Lot's of searching later, and I'm not seeing anything resembling another solution beyond buying a different phone, which as this has been a royal PITA for the past few months, is a tempting thought.

Edit: further research tells me that T-Mobile does not allow uncertified devices from accessing VoLTE or Band 12. Band 12 technically works on my phone, but I'm being blocked by the carrier. So yeah, this route is shut out to me altogether... :(

Just buy an iPhone X problem solved xD

1 hour ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Just buy an iPhone X problem solved xD

The irony being that it is an easy solution, just expensive. :P

An iPhone 7 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility though.

My eyes see the past…

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The irony being that it is an easy solution, just expensive. :P

An iPhone 7 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility though.

I had a 7 plus and loved it, I'm using a 6s plus now (long story) and it's just as good 

• 4 months later...

Kind of old, but figured I'd update my progress. Google Voice seems to be my savior here, as I was able to send SMS over just a wifi connection. The caveat being that a different number is used, though not a major downside compared to having to convince everyone else to use the same app.

While not the same as having Band 12 service, this is probably the best solution I've found until I decide to upgrade.

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kind of old, but figured I'd update my progress. Google Voice seems to be my savior here, as I was able to send SMS over just a wifi connection. The caveat being that a different number is used, though not a major downside compared to having to convince everyone else to use the same app.

While not the same as having Band 12 service, this is probably the best solution I've found until I decide to upgrade.

I think my friend found a way to use his own number on Google Voice without transferring it, I'll go ask him.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

21 hours ago, JDE said:

I think my friend found a way to use his own number on Google Voice without transferring it, I'll go ask him.

Not quite sure how that would work unless Voice somehow sends the messages through the carrier and then to the recipient.

Making phone calls doesn't work on wifi alone, though that was to be expected. For my use case, being able to send SMS over wifi is a big help.

My eyes see the past…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not quite sure how that would work unless Voice somehow sends the messages through the carrier and then to the recipient.

Making phone calls doesn't work on wifi alone, though that was to be expected. For my use case, being able to send SMS over wifi is a big help.

I know WeChat Out spoofs your number.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.