new build for friend

grayblizzard

The goal for this build is to be able to play any game at decent to high settings at 1080p. the price point is around $800. I personally know he can go a little higher for something that will last a long time.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qk2zJV

here is the build let me know any suggestions thx!

P.S. - this build wont happen for a couple of weeks so a different mobo is likely to be used as this one is just the only one released right now.

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Forgo the aftermarket cooler, just use the stock one.

Here's a build with a better SSD, better PSU and faster memory:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($187.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($264.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $905.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-09 00:36 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

-snip-

thanks, the only reason i wanted to get nonstock cooler was to lower sounds so yeh always could dump that and obv psu was overkill so i could easily go cheaper on that thanks.

1 minute ago, grayblizzard said:

thanks, the only reason i wanted to get nonstock cooler was to lower sounds so yeh always could dump that and obv psu was overkill so i could easily go cheaper on that thanks.

The PSU wasn't overkill... it just wasn't particularly good.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

ryzen might be cheaper, as long as they aren't trying to hit 144 fps+ should be more than capable. Also probably worth considering that z370 looks to be a single gen chipset, if upgradeability is a consideration

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The PSU wasn't overkill... it just wasn't particularly good.

seasonic is known to have quality and quiet psus...... but ok

2 minutes ago, grayblizzard said:

psu tier list. not all unit are reliable even its a good brand. 

btw i would get aftermarket cooler as intel stock ones I find not that great comparing with amd ones & noisy when pushed to full.

8 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

ryzen might be cheaper, as long as they aren't trying to hit 144 fps+ should be more than capable. Also probably worth considering that z370 looks to be a single gen chipset, if upgradeability is a consideration

so this is the kind of guy who buys a computer uses it until it dies and buys a new one. is the cheaper pricepoint for possible upgrades worth it if he probably never will? also how big is the gap in performance between the 1600 and the 8400? if mobo costs go down which do you think is better

3 minutes ago, grayblizzard said:

And yet it has no OTP and no OCP. It's also an old, group-regulated unit, meaning if you load one of the rails (+5V or +12V), either one or both will go out of spec.

At this point, you should know never to buy a product by brand.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

And yet it has no OTP and no OCP. It's also an old, group-regulated unit, meaning if you load one of the rails (+5V or +12V), either one or both will go out of spec.

At this point, you should know never to buy a product by brand.

fair point

6 minutes ago, grayblizzard said:

so this is the kind of guy who buys a computer uses it until it dies and buys a new one. is the cheaper pricepoint for possible upgrades worth it if he probably never will? also how big is the gap in performance between the 1600 and the 8400? if mobo coats go down which do you think is better

unless going for high refresh rates at 1080p or lower they'll pretty much do the job the same, even if he doesn't upgrade at some point, a good b350 mobo and a r5 1400 are cheaper than z370 and an 8400, might be enough to get a 1070...  E: I mean with the leftovers already standing with the build above

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

12 minutes ago, grayblizzard said:

so this is the kind of guy who buys a computer uses it until it dies and buys a new one. is the cheaper pricepoint for possible upgrades worth it if he probably never will? also how big is the gap in performance between the 1600 and the 8400? if mobo costs go down which do you think is better

okay here is my personal opinion, intel is better choice for him as he dont bother much with pc once its bought. for 1080p even i3 8100 can fill his need but wish cheaper boards are released soon. pairing with z370 board means he can slap 8700k at future as upgrade. Ryzen is undoubtedly better value for money than intel but since I've built 2 ryzen pc so far for relatives & both had to go through minor hiccups & issues for ram & even posting, as a result eventually made them feel like "i will pay more but i dont want to feel stressed after buying new pc". Ryzen is for users who have a bit fair troubleshooting knowledge & can accept slight hiccups as its fairly promising new platform.       

32 minutes ago, Fardin said:

okay here is my personal opinion, intel is better choice for him as he dont bother much with pc once its bought. for 1080p even i3 8100 can fill his need but wish cheaper boards are released soon. pairing with z370 board means he can slap 8700k at future as upgrade. Ryzen is undoubtedly better value for money than intel but since I've built 2 ryzen pc so far for relatives & both had to go through minor hiccups & issues for ram & even posting, as a result eventually made them feel like "i will pay more but i dont want to feel stressed after buying new pc". Ryzen is for users who have a bit fair troubleshooting knowledge & can accept slight hiccups as its fairly promising new platform.       

Yeah I know that feeling. I bought my r7 1700 a week after release and I had to deal with quite a few hiccups. I know someone close to me asked if they should get an Intel build or a ryzen build and I told them Intel because I know they wouldn't want to deal with the hiccups. I would have to agree that the i3 8100 seems like a really good option as well.