side panel

Dogsparky

Are side panel fans next to the graphics cards generally intake or exhaust? HAF 912, was thinking intake for positive air pressure and bring in cool air onto the graphics card

personal testing showed having a side fan as exhaust caused the gpu to be starved for air leading to higher temps. best to have it intake if you put a fan there... in my admittedly large and well ventilated case I dropped ~4ºC with the fan on vs off

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

personal testing showed having a side fan as exhaust caused the gpu to be starved for air leading to higher temps. best to have it intake if you put a fan there... in my admittedly large and well ventilated case I dropped ~4ºC with the fan on vs off

Thank you, that actually makes sense, didn't think about that gets pretty cold in my room so the air coming form the fan will be great on my graphics card

Depends on cooler style of GPU. If its reference or blower, intake. Open-style, exhaust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Or you just remove the side panel :P

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Depends on cooler style of GPU. If its reference or blower, intake. Open-style, exhaust.

it is not reference 

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

it is not reference 

Are coolers fins right next to center of mesh? Those would be exhausting hot air from GPU. But if its any higher than mesh, intake would still be better. You can also run some tests to see which works best. Thats one test I haven't done. Mesh vs intake for open-style cooler is 3C for better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are coolers fins right next to center of mesh? Those would be exhausting hot air from GPU. But if its any higher than mesh, intake would still be better. You can also run some tests to see which works best. Thats one test I haven't done. Mesh vs intake for open-style cooler is 3C for better.

more like right below with a bit next to the card itself.

4 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

more like right below with a bit next to the card itself.

I would say exhaust is best bet. I would test it, but atm I have reference card.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would say exhaust is best bet. I would test it, but atm I have reference card.

so the exhaust taking the air away from the graphics card wouldn't be a problem them?

8 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

so the exhaust taking the air away from the graphics card wouldn't be a problem them?

If fan is over fins, it will remove hot air. Your front and/bottom intakes are enough to keep cool air going.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If fan is over fins, it will remove hot air. Your front and/bottom intakes are enough to keep cool air going.

if it is mostly under the card? not over fins? and i don't have any bottom intakes just a single front 

40 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

if it is mostly under the card? not over fins? and i don't have any bottom intakes just a single front 

Then intake. I got impression earlier that it was other way around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

it is kind of a weird placement, honestly i would prefer it to be like right on the fins so the fan would be taking air away from it (the hot air) but it is more under it, was mainly concerned about the exhaust starving the air of the card

On 10/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Alright, so i got the ML120 pro today in the mail and moved the SP120 to the side panel and the ML120 to the top since the sleeve bearing doesn't like to be mounted horizontally, the side panel fan is doing intake and in assassins creed revelations which is why i wanted to get a side panel fan, i went from 85+ degrees Celsius down to 60