speeds are almost 10x slower?

ayyyyZJ

hi all. i recently was lucky enough to get fiber today. when they installed it, i tested it a speed test (not sure if i can link it but its the general site haha) and i got the usual 940mbps off my ethernet. now at around 6pm, the best i can get is 100 up/down. vpn on and off i get the same speed, and no matter what i do, im stuck at 100, even though nothing has changed. i also tested the speed on my phone, and i am still getting 300~ down. am i missing something? do speeds throttle during the night with att? 

thanks, and have a great day/night

1. What country do you live in?

2. Who is your new ISP

3. Where did you run the speedtest?

4. How old is your modem or did they replace it?

5. Maybe repair or check for driver updates for your network card

Let me know what you find!

3 minutes ago, ciak2009 said:

1. What country do you live in?

2. Who is your new ISP

3. Where did you run the speedtest?

4. How old is your modem or did they replace it?

5. Maybe repair or check for driver updates for your network card

Let me know what you find!

1. usa
2. att
3. i got fiber installed today, and i ran it as soon as i could (2pm ish)
4. im now using the new modem/router they gave me today
5. ill see, but i tested it when they installed it, and i got 940 down multiple times, nothing has changed (at least with my pc) and now i cant pass 100 :(
thanks for the reply :)

No problem! You could also try power cycling your modem, it could be the ethernet switch inside of it that is acting up. I'd probably start with that first.

3 minutes ago, ciak2009 said:

No problem! You could also try power cycling your modem, it could be the ethernet switch inside of it that is acting up. I'd probably start with that first.

ill try it and get back to you tomorrow morning :) thanks and have a good one:)

26 minutes ago, ciak2009 said:

power cycled it, still cant get above 95. its like its locked so it cant get to 95. it sits at 94.94 the whole test :(

18 minutes ago, ayyyyZJ said:

power cycled it, still cant get above 95. its like its locked so it cant get to 95. it sits at 94.94 the whole test :(

it sounds like the modem may have been provisioned wrong.  you could call att and ask them about this.

I would also check to see if they have there own speedtest site you could use.  most isps will log your speed test info on their site and can see if there is an issue.

24 minutes ago, ayyyyZJ said:

What's the model number of the modem/router that ATT gave you. Also, check if there are any firmware updates. Finally, LUCKY. I'm not saying I have slow internet, but I have 200MBPS on Xfinity. It's the Xfinity part that I don't like... Also, where do you live, I've heard about ATT Gigapower, but I'm not sure where they have it now.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

it sounds like the modem may have been provisioned wrong.  you could call att and ask them about this.

I would also check to see if they have there own speedtest site you could use.  most isps will log your speed test info on their site and can see if there is an issue.

http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Go into your network connections, double click the ethernet adapter, and verify your link speed is 1.0 Gbps.

If your link speed is 100 Mbps, then you may have a flaky cable or your computer/modem/switch decided to negotiate a slower speed for some reason.

image.png.76bb24d873a2af686d7f3512c03339a8.png

i got it working last night and fell right asleep, my bad haha. 
i ended up going to the Ethernet status (where scheer said) and changed "speed and duplex" to 1gbps. when i did that, it would appear on my pc as the Ethernet port wasnt plugged into my pc, so i unplugged the cord from my pc, plugged it back in and im now back to my full speed :)
thanks for the help guys :) hope someone else comes across this so they can fix their problems. have a good one everyone!

Glad it worked out! Hilariously turning it of and back on again, or unplugging and plugging back in actually work sometimes lol.