What CPU to buy?

Thisapear
9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't think they had a 5ghz 8600K, not sure anyone got a review sample of that, I don't see in the PC gamer review anyways

Did you actually read any of the articles you linked? Or any of the quotes I specifically posted? Obviously not.

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

No ammount of quality will make a 3 or 4 phase VRM at that price point good, when for slightly more you get a way better VRM.

Stop confusing quantity with quality. Seriously dude, this is the shit we teach babies.

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That board is likely trash

Source? Also, the motherboard I linked is "likely" trash, according to you, but the AM4 board you linked is literally the cheapest piece of shit.

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

and why single channel? Dual channel is better for everyone.

Lmfao. Show me dual channel memory offering a significant performance increase in games with an Intel CPU then.

11 minutes ago, Thisapear said:

I already have a good heat sink.

And for budget for motherboard + CPU + RAM would be probably around 500-600$ not sure

Okay, super ez then. Go to Canadian PCPP. Add an i5-8400 to your list, then add the cheapest 2x8GB kit of RAM you like the look of, as long as it's not complete crap from some weird/obscure brand. Lastly, add the cheapest Z370 motherboard you like the look of, and you're good to go. You might have a bit of budget left so if you want to overclock, swap the 8400 for an 8600k.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

3 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

Did you actually read any of the articles you linked? Or any of the quotes I specifically posted? Obviously not.

Stop confusing quantity with quality. Seriously dude, this is the shit we teach babies.

Source? Also, the motherboard I linked is "likely" trash, according to you, but the AM4 board you linked is literally the cheapest piece of shit.

Lmfao. Show me dual channel memory offering a significant performance increase in games with an Intel CPU then.

Okay, super ez then. Go to Canadian PCPP. Add an i5-8400 to your list, then add the cheapest 2x8GB kit of RAM you like the look of, as long as it's not complete crap from some weird/obscure brand. Lastly, add the cheapest Z370 motherboard you like the look of, and you're good to go. You might have a bit of budget left so if you want to overclock, swap the 8400 for an 8600k.

The 8400 doesn't OC like the 8600k?

Just now, Thisapear said:

The 8400 doesn't OC like the 8600k?

Nah, its locked. Welcome to world run by Intel. We sell overclocking boards only and locked CPUs

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

They have 8700Ks at 5ghz.

Quantity can help depending on the layout of course, but that doesnt take away that the VRM is likely bad for the money, the $60 board's VRM is fine because it's a $60 motherboard, not one meant to be overclocked on by the Z.

A few games really liked memory speed. biggest probably being Fallout 4.

4 minutes ago, Thisapear said:

Also assuming your monitor is 1080p 144hz, I'm not sure a GPU upgrade is exactly needed with a 580, maybe double up and get a monitor upgrade and GPU upgrade in the far future, probably to 1440p 144hz IPS.

Likely worth waiting for the  8600K since you already have the heat sink.

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Nah, its locked. Welcome to world run by Intel. We sell overclocking boards only and locked CPUs

Just need about 1ghz more on Ryzen, and it'll be perfect.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Likely worth waiting for the  8600K since you already have the heat sink.

8600k is not out yet? yes since I have a heat sink might be better to wait so I can OC it I guess
And for GPU I just bought a RX 580 (new), I didn't have money for a better GPU and for monitor I'm fine with a 1080p 144hz, not really looking into a 1444p

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

They have 8700Ks at 5ghz.

Okay, so I guess I do need to repost the quotes from your own source. Maybe actually read them this time?

"With the new Coffee Lake processors, however, there is zero difference in gaming performance between either of the Core i5s and the top-spec Core i7. And that remains the case whether you’re running the chips at stock speeds or hitting 5GHz+ with the K-series CPUs. The performance of the 8400 is genuinely pretty stunning for a processor that’s supposed to cost less than AMD’s cheapest six-core Ryzen 5. Then there’s the fact that it’s capable of delivering gaming frame rates that are higher than either the i7 7700K and i7 7800K."

"Forget all the headline-grabbing overclocking figures, this is the Coffee Lake chip for gamers."

"The fantastic-value Core i5 8400 is the gamer's chip from Intel's 8th Gen Coffee Lake range, which is surprising considering the K-series i5 is capable of hitting 5.1GHz without issue. But overclocking gives you no extra gaming performance that the powerful extra cores Coffee Lake can't offer on their own."

Quantity can help

Seriously, what do you not understand about quality>quantity? Its not a hard concept to grasp.

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

but that doesnt take away that the VRM is likely bad for the money

It absolutely does because the amount of VRMs was your entire argument for why it was bad. You're making assumptions based on literally nothing. So just stop trying to make this argument, it's stupid and doesn't hold any weight.

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the $60 board's VRM is fine because it's a $60 motherboard

Lmfao, bulletproof logic. /s

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

not one meant to be overclocked on by the Z.

Right, because B350 chipset isn't intended for overclocking, obviously. /a

Oh, and again, OP isn't going to be overclocking an 8400, regardless of the chipset.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

A few games really liked memory speed. biggest probably being Fallout 4.

What has this got to do with anything?

7 minutes ago, Thisapear said:

8600k is not out yet? yes since I have a heat sink might be better to wait so I can OC it I guess

The 8600 is out, yes. You don't need to overclock. As we know from benchmarks provided, the extra click speed isn't actually going to be a huge benfit, mostly just increase 0.1% and 1% lows really. If you do specifically want to overclock, then sure get the 8600k. If you're impartial to overclocking, just get an 8400.

17 hours ago, Thisapear said:

probably hold onto that GPU then for as long as possible.

17 hours ago, Sanctorum said:

What has this got to do with anything?

The 8600 is out, yes. You don't need to overclock. As we know from benchmarks provided, the extra click speed isn't actually going to be a huge benfit, mostly just increase 0.1% and 1% lows really. If you do specifically want to overclock, then sure get the 8600k. If you're impartial to overclocking, just get an 8400.

It's out of stock everywhere, newegg/amazon/B&H here, Coffee lake had pretty low initial stock since intel rushed it a bit to compete with Ryzen .

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mr2rxr/intel-core-i5-8600k-36ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i58600k

I posted the memory video because you asked about where memory speed matters, single channel is half the speed of dual channel and the speed matters in a few games, and possibly when CPU bottlenecked.

Is there a 1080ti comparison between the i5 8400 and 8600K at 5ghz?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

It's out of stock everywhere, newegg/amazon/B&H here

That doesn't mean it hasn't released.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Coffee lake had pretty low initial stock since intel rushed it a bit to compete with Ryzen .

Source? Or are you just making more claims based on no information? Seems it. Since 8700k stock was pretty good, as was i5-8400 stock and i3 stock. In fact, the i3-8100 and i5-8400 are in stock right now. As is the i3-8350k. i5-8600k stock was iffy, likely because Intel wanted to sell more 8700k's, which they did, hence why 8700k's are out of stock.

I posted the memory video because you asked about where memory speed matters, single channel is half the speed of dual channel and the speed matters in a few games, and possibly when CPU bottlenecked.

Lmfao. Single channel is not half the speed of dual channel. You never posted anything to do with single channel vs dual channel. Memory speed has nothing to do with what you were talking about whatsoever.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

Dual channel RAM increases the bandwidth, NOT the speed. It however is a negligible difference. It's not worth buying 2x4GB over 1x8GB because 4GB DIMMs are pitiful. Much better to have significantly better/easier upgradability than slightly better bandwidth that you're really not going to notice, apart from in niche circumstances.

3 hours ago, Sanctorum said:

Dual channel RAM increases the bandwidth, NOT the speed

Is half the performance accurate enough for you?

Some of the stock woes were talked about in the most recent ask GN, but it should be fairly obvious given that it's out of stock everywhere and the launch was moved up a good few months.

Here's some testing with an i3 8100 at 2400mhz vs 3200mhz, there is a decent boost in some games.

Spoiler

Is half the performance accurate enough for you?

No, it's not accurate whatsoever. Again, if you're going to make these claims, provide proof.

Some of the stock woes were talked about in the most recent ask GN, but it should be fairly obvious given that it's out of stock everywhere and the launch was moved up a good few months.

Except that Coffee Lake is not out of stock everywhere. ONLY the 8600k and 8700k. The 8600k is the only Coffee Lake SKU that launched with terrible availability, and that is likely because Intel wanted to move as many 8700k's as possible. The 8700k is out of stock because Intel's plan worked apparently and they were all bought. There were plenty of 8700k's available, they just all sold. They'll be back in stock within the month. So again, NO, Coffee Lake did NOT have poor stock initially.

Here's some testing with an i3 8100 at 2400mhz vs 3200mhz, there is a decent boost in some games.

AGAIN, this is not your argument. Your argument is that single channel RAM has a significant detrimental effect on performance, which is not true at all. You've yet to provide any source on single channel vs dual channel at all, never mind one that actually backs up your claims. RAM speed has nothing to do with single channel vs dual channel. What don't you understand about that?

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 hour ago, Sanctorum said:

I'm not saying you will have half the system performance with single channel RAM, it's fine in most cases, but going to dual channel is going to help in some due to being less constrained on memory. As seen in the above video.

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Sanctorum said:

This was just too funny. A shitty $60 mobo is fine for your unlocked 16 thread CPU but a $120 motherboard isn't good enough for a locked 6 core with no HT. Nice meme.

Seeing what? 2 DIMM slots? On the motherboard. Good thing you've got upgradability with that AM4 mobo though, right? lmfao

I think he wants to see this part "Slower than 3000MHz will see fairly drastic drops in performance in many situations so the performance gap between an i5 and R5 becomes even greater(in favour of the i5)." he wants u to provide some form of evidence.