How can I improve battery life on Ubuntu?

Hi guys,

For the past few days, I've been dual-booting Ubuntu + Windows on my Pro 4.

Battery life when running Ubuntu is substantially lower than Windows. At least 2x worse than Windows.

What can I do to solve this?

Kernel Version:

Linux __________  4.10.0-35-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 13 07:46:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks much :).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Pro 4?

specs?

I think he is talking about the Surface Pro 4..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Pro 4?

specs?

Surface Pro 4 i7

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I think he is talking about the Surface Pro 4..

Yeah, SP4 i7 .

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

reduce screen brightness is best battery saver u got

the screen takes like 80-90% of the batteries life :c

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

reduce screen brightness is best battery saver u got

the screen takes like 80-90% of the batteries life :c

I already did that.

17.04 doesn't have good battery management. I found 16.04 LTS to be better, but it's still not anywhere near what it should be. The issue lies within the drivers. Under the Windows landscape, drivers are written with power saving in mind (on laptops anyway) with full access to design specs and whatnot. Not always the case under *nix. Turning off things not in use, like a NIC, isn't always straightforward under Ubuntu, unless you know what you are doing.

Sadly, I don't think you're going to find much improvement no matter what you do.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

17.04 doesn't have good battery management. I found 16.04 LTS to be better, but it's still not anywhere near what it should be. The issue lies within the drivers. Under the Windows landscape, drivers are written with power saving in mind (on laptops anyway) with full access to design specs and whatnot. Not always the case under *nix. Turning off things not in use, like a NIC, isn't always straightforward under Ubuntu, unless you know what you are doing.

Sadly, I don't think you're going to find much improvement no matter what you do.

So, wait for 17.10 and see what that brings?

I don't think you are going to see improvements from .04 to .10, it's the driver issue more than the underlying OS. It's one of the many areas where *nix lags in, and since creating better power management isn't "sexy" to do, no one does it. They're too busy falling all over themselves to write the next SystemD or Windows killer. I'm a big fan of *nix but I am not blind it the glaring, gaping, and legion flaws it has that are unlikely to ever be solved.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Damn not a single legit answer here guys? All just speculation? C'mon... 

Install tlp:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo apt update
sudo apt install tlp -y
sudo tlp start

This by default comes with a lot of optimisations, although there is room for improvement with settings tweaking.

Next:

Install preload:

sudo apt install preload -y

This caches commonly used programs/files into free memory reducing HDD access(performance and battery life improvement.)

Finally install powertop.

sudo apt install powertop -y

This program allows you to see which programs are using the most power and causing the cpu to wake most often etc... It also allows you to tune a few things that can help a lot with power usage.

You can run it like so:

sudo powertop

Then just hit tab until you are on the "tunables" section.

These are all the little settings/flags that can be changed to help with power draw. If it says "BAD" then it means the optimisation isn't applied. In general it's good to go through them one by one and figure out what they do but I'm a pretty lazy guy so I usually just enable everything.(space bar to toggle optimisation on/off.)

Keep in mind that it's always unlikely you'll be able to get the same battery life in linux as windows under the same sort of workload assuming the windows drivers are all correct. However, with some tweaking you can get pretty damn close to perfect. To be clear, it's not linux's fault. Unix OSes can be extremely efficient(macOS for example) but unfortunately, linux-based operating systems tend to be a bit behind in terms of drivers support etc. Additionally, for some inexplicable reason, distro devs seem to be terrible at decision making when it comes to default settings/tuning for the more technical side of things(ubuntu's default swappiness for example). TLP/PowerTOP/Preload should come installed and tweaked by default IMO but most distros don't bother.

One other thing, a desktop manager that is less resource intensive or GFX hungry will help, something lightweight like Fluxbox.