Window 10 multiple boot with Fedora and Kali

Go to solution Solved by JusticeBeaver,
6 minutes ago, dbednorz said:

So I wanted to have multiple OS for my laptop and at the current moment in time it only has Windows 10 but I wanted to add both Fedora and Kali as the title says. I was told by my friend to have Fedora as a dual boot with Windows and then use a virutal machine for Kali. I need Fedora for a class and want Kali for personal reasons which is why I want both. I was wondering if it was better to do as I was told and use Kali on a virtual machine or if i should do multiple boots for all of them. Also currently my laptop only has 500GB and I know I would partition the drive so I was planning on getting an additional 500 GB SSD for my laptop such as a Samsung 850 Evo. 

What do you want Kali for?.... Don't answer lol but think about it. If you wan't to create VM's to pentest fedora, xp, and etc then put them on a VM. 

If your dead set on this, what I would do is get an SSD and load fedora on it and then install VMware with Kali. Just the way I like to do things. I like to keep test as separated from production as possible. 

However, what I would do is get a laptop, you can find yourself an old I5 laptop for a couple hundred or ask family. I have a stack of them from people that get rid of them and the know I needed them for cert labs. 

Keep the standard OS on it, but get a copy of any virtualization software. Load Fedora, Kali, XP, Metasploit, Server 2012, OSX, and etc. I would also recommend you getting an old Wifi Router and creating a new network that this is connected to. I have botched up some things lol in the past that took a while to get reconfigured back for the internet to work, while on my labs. 

So I wanted to have multiple OS for my laptop and at the current moment in time it only has Windows 10 but I wanted to add both Fedora and Kali as the title says. I was told by my friend to have Fedora as a dual boot with Windows and then use a virutal machine for Kali. I need Fedora for a class and want Kali for personal reasons which is why I want both. I was wondering if it was better to do as I was told and use Kali on a virtual machine or if i should do multiple boots for all of them. Also currently my laptop only has 500GB and I know I would partition the drive so I was planning on getting an additional 500 GB SSD for my laptop such as a Samsung 850 Evo. 

6 minutes ago, dbednorz said:

What do you want Kali for?.... Don't answer lol but think about it. If you wan't to create VM's to pentest fedora, xp, and etc then put them on a VM. 

If your dead set on this, what I would do is get an SSD and load fedora on it and then install VMware with Kali. Just the way I like to do things. I like to keep test as separated from production as possible. 

However, what I would do is get a laptop, you can find yourself an old I5 laptop for a couple hundred or ask family. I have a stack of them from people that get rid of them and the know I needed them for cert labs. 

Keep the standard OS on it, but get a copy of any virtualization software. Load Fedora, Kali, XP, Metasploit, Server 2012, OSX, and etc. I would also recommend you getting an old Wifi Router and creating a new network that this is connected to. I have botched up some things lol in the past that took a while to get reconfigured back for the internet to work, while on my labs. 

57 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

This laptop is just for school so you would recommend that I get the SSD, Load Fedora on it, then get all of the software included in Kali to put on Fedora, and just dual boot that way? Or do you think it would be better to grab a different laptop and just use that one for Fedora 

3 minutes ago, dbednorz said:

This laptop is just for school so you would recommend that I get the SSD, Load Fedora on it, then get all of the software included in Kali to put on Fedora, and just dual boot that way? Or do you think it would be better to grab a different laptop and just use that one for Fedora 

the second SSD was because I assumed you were on a desktop my bad... 

Not sure how efficient it would be but try to boot from a USB. Give that a shot, I would just start asking friends and family if they have an old laptop for you to use for a Lab. You maybe surprised what you may find, or broken screen laptops, then fix them. 

Realistically if you want to get into pentesting I would really get an isolated system. 

7 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

the second SSD was because I assumed you were on a desktop my bad... 

Not sure how efficient it would be but try to boot from a USB. Give that a shot, I would just start asking friends and family if they have an old laptop for you to use for a Lab. You maybe surprised what you may find, or broken screen laptops, then fix them. 

Realistically if you want to get into pentesting I would really get an isolated system. 

Alright sounds good I have a spare laptop at home so I can grab that to use, it's just missing storage so i'll get the SSD anyway and then just use that system for pentesting. Also I could try booting from USB, the reason I was thinking dual boot is because I have used almost no space on this laptop so it has something like 400 GB free. If you think USB boot is better i'll do that for sure. Oh and the current laptop I have uses a M.2 SSD so idk if that makes a difference.

4 hours ago, dbednorz said:

Alright sounds good I have a spare laptop at home so I can grab that to use, it's just missing storage so i'll get the SSD anyway and then just use that system for pentesting. Also I could try booting from USB, the reason I was thinking dual boot is because I have used almost no space on this laptop so it has something like 400 GB free. If you think USB boot is better i'll do that for sure. Oh and the current laptop I have uses a M.2 SSD so idk if that makes a difference.

You can usb boot linux fine,  just not sure about maybe doing virtualization.

My pentest laptop is a 7 year A8. Works great... i would try both experiment, its how you learn. If it doesn't work,  figure out what the cause is,  why it does this,  any protocols effected, etc, could you use this as a vulnerbility.

2 hours ago, JusticeBeaver said:

You can usb boot linux fine,  just not sure about maybe doing virtualization.

My pentest laptop is a 7 year A8. Works great... i would try both experiment, its how you learn. If it doesn't work,  figure out what the cause is,  why it does this,  any protocols effected, etc, could you use this as a vulnerbility.

Thank you for all of the help I really appreciate it, I will definitely experiment with different styles. 

9 hours ago, dbednorz said:

Thank you for all of the help I really appreciate it, I will definitely experiment with different styles. 

especially if your looking to get into pentesting. Its important to understand everything up the OSI model of how things work to get to where you are and the different ways to accomplish your end goal. At work, you may have 4 options that accomplish what you need, but if you only practiced 2 of them you may not be able to properly test your system.

5 hours ago, JusticeBeaver said:

especially if your looking to get into pentesting. Its important to understand everything up the OSI model of how things work to get to where you are and the different ways to accomplish your end goal. At work, you may have 4 options that accomplish what you need, but if you only practiced 2 of them you may not be able to properly test your system.

I've got one last question do you think the 500GB Evo is good or would you recommend I just go for a smaller one?

30 minutes ago, dbednorz said:

I've got one last question do you think the 500GB Evo is good or would you recommend I just go for a smaller one?

my pentest laptop i bought the cheapest SSD I could find. All your doing is loading an OS, VM software, and different VM's. Mines a 250GB and I have 125 free one it.