Where do I mount Thermaltake reservoir on 780T?

Hey guy, so I'm planning on getting a Corsair 780T case to start my water cooling build soon. I've settled on a Thermaltake 200ml reservoir/pump combo and I'm wondering, can I mount it without having to drill into the case? I haven't done water cooling before, as evidenced by my previous post here earlier today, so I don't really know how to mount anything anywhere. I've heard that some people mount their reservoirs to the drive cages. Any help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, ZombieLloyd said:

Hey guy, so I'm planning on getting a Corsair 780T case to start my water cooling build soon. I've settled on a Thermaltake 200ml reservoir/pump combo and I'm wondering, can I mount it without having to drill into the case? I haven't done water cooling before, as evidenced by my previous post here earlier today, so I don't really know how to mount anything anywhere. I've heard that some people mount their reservoirs to the drive cages. Any help would be appreciated.

Just drill into the case you'll get the flexibility of mounting it anywhere you want, you can either put it to the right of the motherboard tray or have it freestanding on the bottom of the case with a bottom mount.  

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Just drill into the case you'll get the flexibility of mounting it anywhere you want, you can either put it to the right of the motherboard tray or have it freestanding on the bottom of the case with a bottom mount.  

Alright, that means buying a drill too. What size drill bit should I use? Are there screw holes in the back of the reservoir's mounting brackets? I know that kind of sounds like a dumb question, but I literally have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to mounting this thing somewhere.

3 minutes ago, ZombieLloyd said:

Alright, that means buying a drill too. What size drill bit should I use? Are there screw holes in the back of the reservoir's mounting brackets? I know that kind of sounds like a dumb question, but I literally have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to mounting this thing somewhere.

It would be best to check with the hardware the reservoir comes with to ensure you get the correct size. A good tip though for drilling center punch before drilling and use washers to back the material to ensure it holds firmly into the sheet metal. 

8 hours ago, W-L said:

It would be best to check with the hardware the reservoir comes with to ensure you get the correct size. A good tip though for drilling center punch before drilling and use washers to back the material to ensure it holds firmly into the sheet metal. 

Okay, thanks for the help. I will get the drill and a washer set soon. Would an automatic center punch do the trick?

3 hours ago, ZombieLloyd said:

Okay, thanks for the help. I will get the drill and a washer set soon. Would an automatic center punch do the trick?

Yep that would work perfectly, just to help the drill get started and not wander around. 

49 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yep that would work perfectly, just to help the drill get started and not wander around. 

I did have one final question about draining. There's no drain port on the reservoir, could I just use a T fitting>tubing>EK ball valve? Would that screw something up?

2 hours ago, ZombieLloyd said:

I did have one final question about draining. There's no drain port on the reservoir, could I just use a T fitting>tubing>EK ball valve? Would that screw something up?

Yes, you can use a T fitting and a valve, you will require some male to male fittings for the T fitting and valve to interface with each other.