Used Toshiba P50 any good?

Go to solution Solved by kagarium,

Of the two, I'd go with the Toshiba. As you said, probably gonna need a new battery, but a new laptop with an i7, dedicated gpu, and a good 1080p display is gonna cost way more than 400€ (closer to $500 in the US).

And yeah like that HP sadly a lot of new laptops cut corners by using a 1366x768 display. 

If you're willing to spend a little more and want some more performance, put an ssd in it to replace to probably craptastic hdd in there now, then get an external usb hdd for all those SolidWorks and MasterCam files.

Hi guys :) 

I'm currently looking at a used Toshiba P50-B-10V for 400€ here in Portugal. It has an i7-4710HQ (quad core), 8GB RAM, a 1080p display (which, buying new laptops, you can only get if you're willing to spend 900+€ on it) and an R9 M265X for a GPU. (1200€ when new...)

New, the best thing I can get for that much (480€ actually) is an HP with an AMD A9 9420, 8GB RAM as well, but a 1366x768 display. (pretty shitty when compared to the Toshiba)

My brother plans on using the laptop for SolidWorks and the usual casual media stuff. (and maybe some light-ish gaming, mostly FIFA and DiRT)

I'm sure the Toshiba blows the shit out of the HP, while costing less, and it is the one I should buy.

The thing is, is it worth it getting a 2 year old laptop? (will most likely have to buy a new battery for it, but that's relatively cheap).

Thanks in advance!

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

The thing is, is it worth it getting a 2 year old laptop? (will most likely have to buy a new battery for it, but that's relatively cheap).

If it's the better deal and has better specs, then I see no reason not to unless it has serious failure elsewhere, like the screen is coming off or the HDD is dying. 

That's better than my used Toshiba P755, which is probably 5-6 years old and running strong I might add.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Of the two, I'd go with the Toshiba. As you said, probably gonna need a new battery, but a new laptop with an i7, dedicated gpu, and a good 1080p display is gonna cost way more than 400€ (closer to $500 in the US).

And yeah like that HP sadly a lot of new laptops cut corners by using a 1366x768 display. 

If you're willing to spend a little more and want some more performance, put an ssd in it to replace to probably craptastic hdd in there now, then get an external usb hdd for all those SolidWorks and MasterCam files.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

Toshiba easily, the quad core i7 is MUCH better than even a 7th-gen Kaby Lake i7-7500U because most laptops now are dual core.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]