780 or 290x???

geXa
Go to solution Solved by Daannnyy,

Which one did you get? Like evga, msi ect? And have you OCed it and what are your fps numbers on games?

If you would like another game tested just ask.

BF4: Constant 80 FPS on 48 man server. Drops down when under heavy fire (Tanks and all that shit) but don't notice any lag spikes at all.

So the 290x is more powerful i know that and it will be even better with mantle but it does use more power which i dont really care about, it does run hotter which is a problem but the main one is the noise that it makes. This is a big thing for me and i know how i can fix it is to run water it water cooled but thats not an option. So im thinking about getting the 780 but im wondering if its very "future proof".

So what i want to know is will the different cooling designs make a difference to noise? And how much better is the 290x than the 780?

Thanks in advance

CPU:i7 4770k, Motherboard:ASUS Z79-AR, RAM:8GB HyperX Beast, GPU:EVGA GTX 970 4GB, Case:Corsair 600T, Storage:1TB Seagate Barracuda, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 256GB Sandisk SSD, PSU:Corsair TX650M, Display(s):Asus VE247H, Asus VE247N, Cooling:Corsair H60 with NF-F12, Keyboard:Razer BlackWidow, Mouse:Razer DeathAdder, Sound:Astro A40

Just get a non-reference 290x because the cooler is better so therefore it's quieter. A good 290x is a decent chunk faster than the 780 too. Also, drop the future proof concept, does not exist, never will, not going to happen.

Depends on when you're buying the said GPU, if you're buying it relatively soon (next month or so), I would get the 780 (what I did) since non reference 290X's won't be out for a while. However, if you're getting the GPU next year, I personally would lean towards the 290X 

The cooling designs will definitely make a difference in noise levels. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Get the 290 it is equally fast and soon with drivers it will probs be faster

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Buying water cooler for 290x, then it doesn't cost cheap. Go get 780, it has better price.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

290 non reference or 780 if you want shadowplay, gsync etc

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Getting anything with "290" in the name? wait for the custom coolers.

Mantle will probably be nice in the games that supports mantle, for all other games, it probably doesn't matter. 

Also, drop the future proof concept, does not exist, never will, not going to happen.

You can still compare things with regard to how future proof it's going to be. 

Edit: And yeah, I would go 780 myself... all the delicious technologies :D

I have a asus gtx 780 and in battlefield 4 1920x1080p with ultra settings and 4xMSAA i have like 100 to 130 fps with sometimes very short drops to 90 or 80. it is also very quiet.

you will be fine with a 290 non-reference model, when they finally be released.

maybe look at other features like nvidia shadowplay, gsync or amd mantel.

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

Does anyone know when the new coolers will be out?

CPU:i7 4770k, Motherboard:ASUS Z79-AR, RAM:8GB HyperX Beast, GPU:EVGA GTX 970 4GB, Case:Corsair 600T, Storage:1TB Seagate Barracuda, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 256GB Sandisk SSD, PSU:Corsair TX650M, Display(s):Asus VE247H, Asus VE247N, Cooling:Corsair H60 with NF-F12, Keyboard:Razer BlackWidow, Mouse:Razer DeathAdder, Sound:Astro A40

Buy a non-reference 780 (ie EVGA 780 SC or ASUS 780 DCUII) and overclock the snot out of it.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Buy a non-reference 780 (ie EVGA 780 SC or ASUS 780 DCUII) and overclock the snot out of it.

Im probably going to get the EVGA and does anyone know what fps im likely to get with a 780 on bf4 ultra at 1080p?

Im probably going to get the EVGA and does anyone know what fps im likely to get with a 780 on bf4 ultra at 1080p?

You will get more frames per second than a 60hz monitor can display, your will probably be close to the frame rate limit on a 120hz monitor as well. Basically, an overclocked 780 will max out most games at 1080p.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Had to make the same decision a few weeks ago. Went for the 290x + Aquacomputer Kryographics waterblock. It's a monster.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I was in the same situation and I chose the 780

Which one did you get? Like evga, msi ect? And have you OCed it and what are your fps numbers on games?

I got the EVGA GTX 780. I'm not to sure what FPS I get, I'll go check it out in some games for ya 

BF4: Constant 80 FPS on 48 man server. Drops down when under heavy fire (Tanks and all that shit) but don't notice any lag spikes at all.

how much does it drop while in heavy fire scene?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

how much does it drop while in heavy fire scene?

Hmm, probably drops about 5-10 FPS But I don't notice anything.

If you would like another game tested just ask.BF4: Constant 80 FPS on 48 man server. Drops down when under heavy fire (Tanks and all that shit) but don't notice any lag spikes at all.

Thanks man! Bf4 is pretty much all i play and im guessing thats 1080p ultra?

Thanks man! Bf4 is pretty much all i play and im guessing thats 1080p ultra?

Sure is :)

Hmm, probably drops about 5-10 FPS But I don't notice anything.

Thx :)

If BF4 is all you play, maybe wait till the BF4 mantle numbers are released? Might make enough of a difference if that is a game that u really want good numbers on.

Sure is :)

Thanks for the help man!

If BF4 is all you play, maybe wait till the BF4 mantle numbers are released? Might make enough of a difference if that is a game that u really want good numbers on.

After knowing that the 290x is loud and that the 780 is quiet and it also gives really good numbers i think im going to get thr 780 as water cooling is pretty much the only way to get it quiet and i dont want to water cool.