How to clean SSD from OS

AverageLeo
Go to solution Solved by ThomasPham,

Get a USB drive and drag and drop data into it :).  There is no "clean" way to do it.  If you're trying to save programs,  you won't be able to if you're just trying to reinstall the OS. 

I'm building a new pc and gonna use the old SSD,

the SSD have on it the OS and bunch of other stuff..

How to delete onlt the OS and leave the other stuff?

~Leo

Is it windows 10?  There is an option to do that in the OS by hitting Start > Type Recovery Options > Reset at the top.  I'd recommend backing up what you can and wiping anyways though.

You can't just delete the OS while leaving the other stuffs. Back up this other stuffs and then wipe the SSD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

How old is the SSD? If its very old you should replace it anyway since SSD's especially old ones have a very limited lifespan compared to HDD's.

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

How old is the SSD? If its very old you should replace it anyway since SSD's especially old ones have a very limited lifespan compared to HDD's.

6 mounths

~Leo

11 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

When you reinstall windows you can do a custom install and delete the old partition and create a new one.

why should I reinstall?

~Leo

4 minutes ago, AverageLeo said:

why should I reinstall?

Left over drivers lingering around, stuff like that.  For the sake of stability,  I really think you should back up data and just wipe the entire ssd

17 minutes ago, ThomasPham said:

Left over drivers lingering around, stuff like that.  For the sake of stability,  I really think you should back up data and just wipe the entire ssd

how to backup data without backing up the OS?

~Leo

Get a USB drive and drag and drop data into it :).  There is no "clean" way to do it.  If you're trying to save programs,  you won't be able to if you're just trying to reinstall the OS. 

56 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

If the SSD is from like 2008, this is true - but modern SSDs have very good write endurance. 

1 minute ago, descendency said:
59 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

If the SSD is from like 2008, this is true - but modern SSDs have very good write endurance. 

Yes i know thats why i was asking if its a really old one and also point out that old ones tend to have a limited life span.