Where's the budget sweet spot for gaming?

Sinjai

$0

You are spending nothing and you don't gain anything. Couldn't be any better.

Srsly tho, that depends on where you live. But most likely around 800-1200 USD.

If you want to build a new gaming PC you should ask yourself what you want and how much money you have to achieve that goal and not just how much money you're able to burn.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 1:56 AM, Senzelian said:

$0

You are spending nothing and you don't gain anything. Couldn't be any better.

Srsly tho, that depends on where you live. But most likely around 800-1200 USD.

If you want to build a new gaming PC you should ask yourself what you want and how much money you have to achieve that goal and not just how much money you're able to burn.

$0 is great except you get 0 value, thus being worse than even a ten year old computer for $1000 dollars. ;)

I know it depends how much I have, but that doesn't affect something like, say, a GPU being 10% more powerful than another while costing 30% more money.

I'd agree. 800-1200 USD, because you'll get decent longevity without overspending. Spending twice that doesn't get you twice the lifespan, more like 1.5x.聽

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school.聽

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65聽ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600,聽24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

3 hours ago, Sinjai said:

$0 is great except you get 0 value, thus being worse than even a ten year old computer for $1000 dollars. ;)

I know it depends how much I have, but that doesn't affect something like, say, a GPU being 10% more powerful than another while costing 30% more money.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me. o.O

I stand by my original comment saying "spending nothing and gaining nothing" is the sweet spot, if we were to ignore our goal of actually beeing able to play games.聽;)

18 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me. o.O

I stand by my original comment saying "spending nothing and gaining nothing" is the sweet spot, if we were to ignore our goal of actually beeing able to play games.聽;)

If you could divide by zero, my rambling would have made sense. xD聽Of course, the inability to do so defeats your (admittedly silly) argument聽as well. :P

17 minutes ago, Sinjai said:

If you could divide by zero, my rambling would have made sense. xD聽Of course, the inability to do so defeats your (admittedly silly) argument聽as well. :P

No it doesn't o:

On 9/28/2017 at 2:43 AM, Sinjai said:

At what price point do you get the most value? [for gaming]

ryzen 3 1200

8 gb 3000 mhz ram

gtx 1060 3gb

hyper 212 evo cooler

2tb hard drive

fractal design focus case

PC Build: R5-1600.聽 Scythe Mugen 5.聽 GTX 1060.聽 120 GB SSD.聽 1 TB HDD.聽 FDD Mini C.聽 8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).聽 Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.聽 Capstone-550.聽 Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.聽 Razer Naga Chroma.聽 Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.聽 PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

On 10/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, TraskJ said:

I'd agree. 800-1200 USD, because you'll get decent longevity without overspending. Spending twice that doesn't get you twice the lifespan, more like 1.5x.聽

1000-1200 can be good for gaming if that's including a gtx 1080. 聽otherwise, a lot of money will just end up being spent on luxuries that dont improve gaming

PC Build: R5-1600.聽 Scythe Mugen 5.聽 GTX 1060.聽 120 GB SSD.聽 1 TB HDD.聽 FDD Mini C.聽 8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).聽 Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.聽 Capstone-550.聽 Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.聽 Razer Naga Chroma.聽 Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.聽 PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

My recommended budget would be in the $800 to $1,000 USD range.

Sure, you can go lower, but you will sacrifice performance and/or speed of certain computer components.

Again, like others have said... it depends on your budget.

A better thread would have been like... "I want to spend no more than $800 for a gaming computer build."

Then, you will get a lot of users chiming in on their recommended computer builds.

You pick one build or mix and match computer builds to fit your needs.

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) *聽
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series聽
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio