Any ideas??? Any at all???

invisiblehand13
Go to solution Solved by invisiblehand13,
On 9/28/2017 at 12:24 AM, Loot said:

could grab a cheap 500w psu from best buy for 20-30$ and see if it acts the same .. if it does rma the board and if not rma the psu

Yup power supply, didn't get a cheapo unit since they had a seagate  when I went and plugged it in and all problems are gone, you the man loot...at least you gave me the best direction to go in...which I was pretty sure it was anyways but yeah, cheers mate!

Been trying to figure this out for almost a week now, here are my symptoms:

-Have to hold the power button to boot, a quick press just gives me a quick flash of the power led and a quick spin of the fans and then it all turns off in less than 1 second

-When shutting down windows (from either the power button or the start menu) windows will shut down completely but my fans then ramp up to 100% and my power led stays lit

-Noticed that for some strange reason my overclock will randomly decide to set itself to another value (it was at 3.7 but randomly decides it will be 3.4 and yes even in the bios it says the same thing)

Will someone please give me some ideas on what to do here??? Getting really tired of troubleshooting things only to have more questions....please help me!!!

Well with the power button, are you sure you have the motherboard headers right? what's your psu? and cpu voltage?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

The power button thing even when I have it out of the case and short it with a screwdriver and the psu is a corsair rm650x and cpu voltage is set to auto actually

That's probably why you need to manually set it if you have a 3.7ghz overclock also what are the rest of your components?

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

And the only headers from the case is the hdd led and the power button so the power led is actually run off the sata connector for the case lighting but yes I have double checked them many times trying to troubleshoot this

ryzen 5 1600

asrock ab350m pro 4

corsair rm650x

gskill flare x 3200

and the voltage can be left at auto for a 3.7 overclock as verified by several youtubers but it stayed at 3.7 for a week and then when i started trying to figure out what is going on with my start up and shut downs it just randomly reset itself to 3.4

2 minutes ago, invisiblehand13 said:

And the only headers from the case is the hdd led and the power button so the power led is actually run off the sata connector for the case lighting but yes I have double checked them many times trying to troubleshoot this

Reply or @ mention someone to tag them

My current rig:

Just now, invisiblehand13 said:

ryzen 5 1600

asrock ab350m pro 4

corsair rm650x

gskill flare x 3200

and the voltage can be left at auto for a 3.7 overclock as verified by several youtubers but it stayed at 3.7 for a week and then when i started trying to figure out what is going on with my start up and shut downs it just randomly reset itself to 3.4

Follow these steps to overclock and manually reset the bios by clicking restore default in the bios before you start

My current rig:

Just now, hconverse02 said:

Follow these steps to overclock and manually reset the bios by clicking restore default in the bios before you start

I have already loaded default bios settings and the start up and shut down problem still exists so I am thinking that these problems must be linked so I thought maybe the psu for some reason just was not getting the on/off message from the motherboard but then when I paperclip test the psu and use the multimeter to test the rail voltages all seems well except for one time it failed to keep the fans I had plugged into while doing the test on....so then I was thinking maybe it is the motherboard but I am unsure how to test the motherboard...once it is on all seems well, it is just the bootup and shutdown that is driving me crazy and the overclocking is more of a very small concern for me right now...it is doing the same thing with optimized defaults loaded

1 minute ago, invisiblehand13 said:

I have already loaded default bios settings and the start up and shut down problem still exists so I am thinking that these problems must be linked so I thought maybe the psu for some reason just was not getting the on/off message from the motherboard but then when I paperclip test the psu and use the multimeter to test the rail voltages all seems well except for one time it failed to keep the fans I had plugged into while doing the test on....so then I was thinking maybe it is the motherboard but I am unsure how to test the motherboard...once it is on all seems well, it is just the bootup and shutdown that is driving me crazy and the overclocking is more of a very small concern for me right now...it is doing the same thing with optimized defaults loaded

If you short the power pins to start the motherboard, does the same problem exist when turning it on/off?

My current rig:

Just now, hconverse02 said:

If you short the power pins to start the motherboard, does the same problem exist when turning it on/off?

yes same problem persists whether with a screwdriver or using the power button but that is not helping me solve where the issue is becuase I only have the one power supply right now lol

New system when powering on for the first time will turn off after a few seconds and then start backup again, this is normal.

Your system might have a unique mode enable, where the fans will continue to spin until it senses the system is cool enough for the fan to stop spinning.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

New system when powering on for the first time will turn off after a few seconds and then start backup again, this is normal.

Your system might have a unique mode enable, where the fans will continue to spin until it senses the system is cool enough for the fan to stop spinning.

this is a less than one second "start up" and I wouldn't even call it a start up becuase nothing happens, the motherboard never does anything unless I hold the power button

also, I feel I must point out that the system already has windows installed and the bios settings returned to optimized defaults...right now there is no overclock and no reason why the motherboard should be running a "first time" boot but these symptoms persist no matter what I do

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

also, even if I leave the system on for 8 hours it will not shut itself off until I manually switch the psu off

Just now, invisiblehand13 said:

this is a less than one second "start up" and I wouldn't even call it a start up becuase nothing happens, the motherboard never does anything unless I hold the power button

Boards that are function will act this way too. My X99 Deluxe, the system will light up for 1 seconds, then turn off and then turn back on again. use your reset switch as the power switch to test it out.

Some Asrock boards also a dehumidifier function.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

58 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Boards that are function will act this way too. My X99 Deluxe, the system will light up for 1 seconds, then turn off and then turn back on again. use your reset switch as the power switch to test it out.

Some Asrock boards also a dehumidifier function.

Apparently I am not making this clear but if I press the power button and do not hold it then I get a quick flash of lights and then nothing else, the computer WILL NOT BOOT unless I hold the power button and when I power down from either the power button or the windows start menu and walk away for 8 hours when I come back it is still on...this is not normal behavior for this board and that is why I am here explain my problem...THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR 

8 minutes ago, invisiblehand13 said:

Apparently I am not making this clear but if I press the power button and do not hold it then I get a quick flash of lights and then nothing else, the computer WILL NOT BOOT unless I hold the power button and when I power down from either the power button or the windows start menu and walk away for 8 hours when I come back it is still on...this is not normal behavior for this board and that is why I am here explain my problem...THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR 

I know your system is not behaving normally. Now have you try it via the reset switch?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

maybe a short in the power switch or a bad switch ? if you have an old case you can pop the power switch out of and try that. could also be a bad board or cpu

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I know your system is not behaving normally. Now have you try it via the reset switch?

No, my case does not have one and I am actually at work right now until 6:30 am, I am just curious why do you suggest trying the reset switch?

22 minutes ago, Loot said:

maybe a short in the power switch or a bad switch ? if you have an old case you can pop the power switch out of and try that. could also be a bad board or cpu

It does this even if I short the pins with a screwdriver, I have to hold the screwdriver on the pins instead of just a quick tap between them. At this rate, I am just about to get the asus board instead and go back to a seasonic power supply as neither of those brands has ever let me down yet

33 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Oh and when the system shuts down the cpu fan and the gpu fans both shut down so I am thinking it must be a power supply issue because the power led and the case fans that stay on after shut down are both connected to the psu through a sata power plug...is this thinking flawed?

23 minutes ago, invisiblehand13 said:

Oh and when the system shuts down the cpu fan and the gpu fans both shut down so I am thinking it must be a power supply issue because the power led and the case fans that stay on after shut down are both connected to the psu through a sata power plug...is this thinking flawed?

sounds like a reasonable assessment