Untested Vive... Yay or Nay?

flameprincess2000
2 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

Long story short.. I'm getting an HTC vive.

Untested I bought for $275, which I can cancel still.

Used ones cost around $400

New ones cost around $600.

Think untested is worth it with this seller? Their feedback is high and all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142519519427

Idk, regardless of seller rating, 'untested', 'as is', and 'Completeness hasn't been verified.' just seem like easy way's to get away with selling an incomplete/broken item without having to deal with the negative feedback.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Idk, regardless of seller rating, 'untested', 'as is', and 'Completeness hasn't been verified.' just seem like easy way's to get away with selling an incomplete/broken item without having to deal with the negative feedback.

Right which is what I was thinking... but in worse case, if it's broken, couldn't I just resell it as a broken unit? What are the chances of it selling? But, we also have to think... as a return, what companies generally have gaming computers to test out a vive? lol

8 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

Think untested is worth it with this seller? Their feedback is high and all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142519519427

Its a bit of a gamble but if you think its legit then its a pretty sweet deal

If the product is untested or hasnt been verified for any testing, then its possibly broken or damaged in some way. Regardless of the sellers ratings, I wouldnt trust the seller unless a test has been conducted and verfied by the buyer.

Pretty sure you could still return it. Ebay lets buyers return stuff nomatter what.

That said, I am almost certain it'll be broken. It's not hard to setup, letalone test.

EDIT: Saw he won't accept returns. I would cancel.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

In the world of ebay, "untested" and "as is" always means broken/ doesn't work. If you're feeling lucky though, you might be able to get a refund if it doesn't work when you get it. 

15 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

If the product is untested or hasnt been verified for any testing, then its possibly broken or damaged in some way. Regardless of the sellers ratings, I wouldnt trust the seller unless a test has been conducted and verfied by the buyer.

Or they're selling it at broken prices.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

34 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

Right which is what I was thinking... but in worse case, if it's broken, couldn't I just resell it as a broken unit? What are the chances of it selling? But, we also have to think... as a return, what companies generally have gaming computers to test out a vive? lol

Honestly, you could re-sell it and do the same thing, but everyone's time is worth something I guess. You don't need a high performance PC to verify it works, nearly any PC can display to it and 'work' just not perform well. I'd cancel and save for a better used or new one.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

8 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Honestly, you could re-sell it and do the same thing, but everyone's time is worth something I guess. You don't need a high performance PC to verify it works, nearly any PC can display to it and 'work' just not perform well. I'd cancel and save for a better used or new one.

13 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Or they're selling it at broken prices.

29 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

In the world of ebay, "untested" and "as is" always means broken/ doesn't work. If you're feeling lucky though, you might be able to get a refund if it doesn't work when you get it. 

29 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Pretty sure you could still return it. Ebay lets buyers return stuff nomatter what.

That said, I am almost certain it'll be broken. It's not hard to setup, letalone test.

EDIT: Saw he won't accept returns. I would cancel.

29 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

41 minutes ago, Harsh sharma said:

Its a bit of a gamble but if you think its legit then its a pretty sweet deal

I asked how long did the original buyer have it for, and they said: Not too long, these are retail returns from stores like Amazon. Item may have sat at warehouse for a while before being liquidated.

1 minute ago, flameprincess2000 said:

I asked how long did the original buyer have it for, and they said: Not too long, these are retail returns from stores like Amazon. Item may have sat at warehouse for a while before being liquidated.

I wouldn't risk it personally. It seems as though you really want a Vive, this isn't the way to get one.

Take it from someone who owns a Vive, it requires planning and setup or you'll hate using it. You need to plan out a space, plan out a place to mount the cameras, and you need a machine capable of running it (I bought a laptop just to run VR so I didn't have to drag my pc into the living room)

The vive takes planning, otherwise you'll get sick of dragging it around the 30 minute setup. I'd plan it out and save some money to buy it used or new.

Main Rig

Just now, Armakar said:

I wouldn't risk it personally. It seems as though you really want a Vive, this isn't the way to get one.

Take it from someone who owns a Vive, it requires planning and setup or you'll hate using it. You need to plan out a space, plan out a place to mount the cameras, and you need a machine capable of running it (I bought a laptop just to run VR so I didn't have to drag my pc into the living room)

The vive takes planning, otherwise you'll get sick of dragging it around the 30 minute setup. I'd plan it out and save some money to buy it used or new.

I already did plan it out and stuff, I really just need to buy one at this point. I have a desktop with a 1080 ti and 7700k so I'm good there, space is a little small but I'll make it manage, and I've thought about the camera placement too.

I save a ton doing it like thissssss... and like the previous person said, i could end up reselling if broken?

13 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

I already did plan it out and stuff, I really just need to buy one at this point. I have a desktop with a 1080 ti and 7700k so I'm good there, space is a little small but I'll make it manage, and I've thought about the camera placement too.

I save a ton doing it like thissssss... and like the previous person said, i could end up reselling if broken?

You seem to be hopeful it will work. If I had to put a probability on it working, i'd say 15%. A broken vive will sell for what, 150$?

Think about it from this guys point of view. He's advertised it as "Untested" and "Cannot confirm if it's complete" when he could easily plug it into a PC (even a VR incapable PC still PLAYS the vive, but it would lag hard) and find out if A) it's complete and B) if it works. It's that easy for this guy to find out if it works, and as soon as he finds that out he can charge 100$ more for it, atleast.

Why wouldn't he do that? Because he knows full well it almost certainly does not work. Has he stated the return reason? If not, maybe that's because the reason was it's broken?

Main Rig

2 hours ago, flameprincess2000 said:

I saw the listing one more time and it kinda scared me ,so you would probably be better off cancelling the order alltogether

1 hour ago, Harsh sharma said:

I saw the listing one more time and it kinda scared me ,so you would probably be better off cancelling the order alltogether

This is so toughhhh

Ive bought things like this before. If they listed the item condition as parts only they do not have to return or refund. He does not accept returns.

As stated above they could easily test the item to make more money, so it doesnt make sense for it to be functioning. If it does function it will most likely be missing a proprietary part that is worth more than the cost savings.

The only time buying items like this has actually worked out for me is if I needed a weird hard to find part off of it to repair something else or I bought a lot item with several broken items to make one functioning item and resell the rest as parts (don't even bother reassembling).